Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:55 AM   #1

Default SONY NEX-3 vs Canon G11 vs Lumix LX3

not sure where to post this thread, guess i will just post it here.

nex-3 prices are out: http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/06/0...-out-for-asia/

and many reviews have been done (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STHNr6w1FE0)

interested in getting an average size camera (dslr too big for my everyday shooting) that can take quality photos.

any suggestions on what cameras to get? suggestions besides nex 3 or LX 3 and g11 is welcome too.
singz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:11 PM   #2

The nex-3 is not that small if you go with the 3.5x zoom. As it is a bit bigger lens. So the G11 and LX3 will be the more compact option.

But given the that the nex-3 uses a aps-c sensor. It will out perform both the lx3 and g11 in imagine quality and low light shooting hands down. But the other 2 camera has a built in flash, so you do not need to remember to pack the add on flash.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 5, 2010 at 4:00 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:12 PM   #3

singz-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

New cameras are always exciting. However in the case of the Sony NEX-3/5, I personally feel that there are too many glitches for my style of shooting. The Olympus EPL1 is a better fit for me.

The G-11 is an even more attractive fit for me as I also shoot with a DSLR camera. The initial cost is lower, and the image quality is there in spades. The LX-3, as good as it might be, is now an outdated design in my opinion. I would rather wait for a LX-3 replacement.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:07 AM   #4

Cnet did not give it a great review. That lack on controls would bother more advance shooters.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Cnet did not give it a great review. That lack on controls would bother more advance shooters.
I hate CNET reviews. Their rating system is way too harsh considering how shallow their reviews are. I absolutely disregard their reviews, period.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:18 PM   #6
Administrator

Another thing I'd consider when reading reviews, is that the firmware is still being refined.

If you look at EXIF info for photos posted in reviews that have unmodified originals, you'll see a variety of firmware versions (1.00 through 1.03 for the most part). Even though Sony has apparently told reviewers that 1.00 is supposed to be production quality, they're still refining it at a rapid pace from what I can tell.

So, that should help with some of the usability quirks being reported as time passes, with more advanced features already announced for later firmware versions, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:37 PM   #7

That was just one that the OP linked, and I have read others pointing to the same issues with the nex. The lenses are not that great according to the other reviews I have read also.

But no matter what firmware they do, it will not change the fact that you need to pack the flash with you, and that there are on limited buttons and dials, as it uses a gui.

From all the reviews I read, it is a great sensor wrap around a mediocre camera and lenses. While the samsung is a better camera, but could use a better sensor.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:58 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
That was just one that the OP linked, and I have read others pointing to the same issues with the nex. The lenses are not that great according to the other reviews I have read also.
The only site that I know of that even has any final production lenses is dpreview.com. Keep in mind that these cameras and lenses are not shipping yet. ;-)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1006/10...lesgallery.asp

But, AFAIK, they still don't have a camera with the latest firmware (they're using 1.0 from images I've seen), and even newer (1.03, etc.) firmware is still nowhere near as mature as what they'll be releasing next month. ;-)

Yes, there are not as many controls as desired. No big deal to most users looking for high IQ in compact package.

With one button press you have access to a virtual mode dial where you can use the multi-direction controller to select what you want. Ditto for other frequently used options. Most users aren't constantly changing settings anyway (except for things like EV Compensation and Drive mode, and they have dedicated controls for those), so a pressing a button and selecting what you want to change is no big deal;-)

Basically, you're getting a camera with Image Quality that blows away any other camera's images for similar size package as ISO speeds get higher, and if you want better Dynamic Range from your images (as the latest Sony 14MP CMOS sensors are unrivaled in that area for their sensor size from images I've seen).

So, in order to get that much IQ from a small camera, some compromises were needed in the camera design.

Lens choices are a bit limited right this minute. But, that should change as time passes.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:04 PM   #9

It is a package gear toward the pns. For more serious shooter the control issue is a problem. It is a good system for the point and shooter looking for just better IQ.