Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
You are exactly correct, skylark-

I have tried to make the point, even showing a chart of the limited number of super zoom cameras that are powered by AA
batteries.

The FZ-38 is NOT powered by AA batteries, but it is one of the top super zoom cameras, as is the HS-10 camera

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

Yes, noticed that chart. You have the patience of a Saint to have gone through that much trouble to make that chart. This forum is lucky to have you as a regular.

Thanks for always helping everyone,
Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:42 PM   #12

For roughly the last 12 months, the British pound has been hovering around US$1.50.

So 300.00 = $450 give or take a few bucks.

Pretty healthy budget for a non-SLR.
3puttpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:04 PM   #13

I haven't been lurking around this forum very long, but I sense an FZ38 in Eysha's future.
3puttpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:40 AM   #14

Thanks, so i guess it is between the FZ 38 and the HS-10.
Is there any others i should look at/consider?
E.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 3:06 AM   #15

I think I'm about to get an FZ-38. It's about 220 on Amazon at the moment (about $330). Should be able to get a big memory card and a separate UV filter to protect the lens within your budget . There is a poll thread somewhere here where last time I looked the FZ-38 had almost 90% of the votes so it's a clear favourite.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 5:59 AM   #16

I agree, it is looking like the FZ38. It does sound good. To be honest i never got past the auto mode on my fuji s8000fd camera that i have now even though i kept promising i would learn to use it fully. I confess i don't understand much about the camera (FZ38) and need to learn a lot - is that going to be difficult and take up a lot of time? Is this camera much different to my present one? In my area it is 250. Why do i need a UV filter? I have an 8 gig SDHC card amongst others so a bit less to lay out. I hope the battrery isn't too expensive as i like at least two of them, i take loads of photos, 1300 last time out over two days. The Olympus battery is very expensive at 31.69p. I have no real idea what to look for when buying a camera, i am only going off recommendations really but my research and comments from here do say the FZ38 so unless anyone can recommend a better camera looks like that one. OK so i am a bit scared of it to be honest as i would like to learn to use it really well so where do i go to learn? I love taking photos as you guessed so good clear shots is great. My Fuji is poor on photo quality, anyone know how much better off i will be between the two - fuji and FZ? Hope i am making the right choice. Can't get it until next week anyway. Any more advice is very welcom and my grateful thanks to all who helped me on here - you are all great. I am swopping an 18 optical zoom for the same thing but an 8mp for a 12 so... do i need a bigger zoom? what is a good size zoom? oh questions, qustions questions - sorry to be a pest.
E.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 9:24 AM   #17

E.-

The Panasonic FZ38 is a very user friendly camera. Drop the Automatic and IA modes right away and move to the "P" for Programed Auto mode where you have much more flexibility. By doing that you have 6 more features available to you.

Panasonic licensed batteries are available from third party suppliers on E-Bay at a very reasonable cost. The FZ-38 s indeed the top of the shop in terms of super zoom cameras. Yes, you are duplicating your 18X optical zoom, but getting a much better lens in the process and increasing your resolution by 50%. That will equate to much better and usable image quality.

You really should make an effort to learn more about photography as your photos would measurably improve at the same time. In the USA we have a system of Community College that offer digital camera courses for a very reasonable tuition. I teach multiple course for our Community College and our state University as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:21 AM   #18

Thanks for all your help, it is really appreciated. I replied before but there was internet problems and my message didn't go through, so fingers crossed,lol.
I tend to only print out in A4 size,(11x8 inches) so i guess this camera will be okay for that. I am looking to a new camera as mine is having issues, the colour is washed out and it keeps telling me it has zoom problems and card reader problems but i know the cards are new and good in other cameras so i think it has problems. It is the second Fuji in two years, the dial fell off the first one.
Do you know how long it takes a battery to charge up for this camera? AA's take me 15 minutes. I can buy from Amazon as i buy stuff there but not e-bay, any battery you would recommend? Any ideas on where to look on the net for good lessons on how to use my new camera to the best advantage. Hope to get new camera Monday or Tuesday next week so fun starts then.
Again my many thanks fo all your help.
E.
ps please advise before i buy as i cannot afford to make a mistake - am i buying the right camera? - Thanks

Last edited by eysha; Jun 6, 2010 at 5:16 AM. Reason: forgot to add