Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:04 AM   #1

Default Camera advice please.

I have looked and looked for a new camera and the market is so big that i am totally lost and desperately need help.
I have the Fujifilm s8000fd at the moment but it is having issues like reporting card reading errors and zoom errors. yes i have bought new cards and it isn't the cards as they work fine in my daughter's camera.
I recently took quite a few photos and notice the quality is poor with washed out colour and a lot of noise in the dark areas.
I am not looking towards a DSLR but would like a long zoom with good clear photos and good macro too.
I am thinking in the region of 300.00 and want a camera that takes AA batteries and sd, sdhc cards too.
Any help would be great as i am so lost and yes i need to learn a lot too.
Thanks in advance.
E.
ps don't need or use a video

Last edited by eysha; Jun 4, 2010 at 11:36 AM.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:00 PM   #2

eysha-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

If you want your camera to use AA standard sized batteries, your most popular choices are the Canon SX-20 and the HS-10.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome. i ahve been reading the forums and am even more confussed now, lol.
what is HS-10?
Since i won't print larger than A4 what mp's do i really need? i would like a good zoom and a good macro as i take photos mainly for my artwork.
E
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:52 PM   #4

Default An AA Battery Powered Zoom Camera

eysha-

The term "A-4 size" is probably common in the UK, but it is not a print size that is used in the USA, so you may want to explain that a bit more, please.

What budget have you allowed for this camera purchase? And how much zoom do you really need? I have attached a photo from the AA powered Kodak Z-915 which you can find here in the USA for less than $(US)100.00. That might be a possibility for you.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:17 PM   #5

A4 is approx 11x8 inches.
i am not sure what zoom i really need but i do like a good zoom, mine is 18 optical. the camera you show isn't for me. i don't want as pocket camera but a camera that looks and feels like a proper camera. I want really good clear shots and good macro and i need to know how to get the best out of a camera too. the posts i ahve read here are confussing as i find there is a lot i have no idea about so i need to learn a lot.
E.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:47 PM   #6

E.-

With the AA battery requirement, the choice of super zoom cameras becomes somewhat less as you can see from the attached chart which lists super zoom cameras with more the 18X optical zoom that use AA batteries.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
I am not looking towards a DSLR but would like a long zoom with good clear photos and good macro too.
I am thinking in the region of 300.00 and want a camera that takes AA batteries and sd, sdhc cards too.
ps don't need or use a video
Strongly suggest dropping the AA batteries requirement as it will severely limit your choices. Just look for the best image quality which will be hard enough. Also converting the euros to dollars can help folks in the US to recommend cameras in your price range.

Best regards,
Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:07 PM   #8

Thanks, the HS 10 looks good - what do you think?
I had an olympus that took lithium batteries and they took over two hours to charge which is why i went of those to AA batteries, that is the only reason, the charging time. any thoughts on the Panasonic lumix dmc fz38?
what would be good if i dropped the AA batteries? not sure how to convert UK pounds to dollers, don't use euros.
E.
Have lots of SD and SDCH cards too so don't want to waste them as they are all new.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:30 PM   #9

You are exactly correct, skylark-

I have tried to make the point, even showing a chart of the limited number of super zoom cameras that are powered by AA
batteries.

The FZ-38 is NOT powered by AA batteries, but it is one of the top super zoom cameras, as is the HS-10 camera

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:34 PM   #10

In any case, shooting artwork is kind of difficult, especially oil or acrilic textured paintings. You will need a polarizer filter to avoid undesired reflections and some lighting set up.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote