Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:57 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
How do you guys rate the Nikon D5000? Reason i ask is that i have been offered one, hardly used, mint for 400. Is that a good deal?
Oh no! Are you ever going to make your mind up? The D5000 is a nice
camera. Certainly a step up from the A230 you were buying. It has
live view and video which are not available on the A230. It has the
same excellent 12Mp sensor that is used in the more expensive D90.
It won't work with all Nikon lenses, because it doesn't have a built-in
autofocus motor.

The new price is 499.99. If it is no more than 2-3 months old and
comes with the original receipt (for warranty purposes), it might be
a good buy.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:20 AM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
How do you guys rate the Nikon D5000? Reason i ask is that i have been offered one, hardly used, mint for 400. Is that a good deal?
It's only 429 brand new now at many UK vendors (or 479 including a Nikkor 18-55mm VR lens). See the listings as Jessops here:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...6136/show.html

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...6137/show.html

It's a good camera. The Nikon D5000 is using a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor (as does the Sony A500). The D5000 also has Live View (although it's going to be virtually useless for moving subjects, as it's *very* slow compared to using Live View with a model like the Sony A500, which has very fast Autofocus with Live View, thanks to the A500's separate Live View sensor in it's Viewfinder housing, allowing it to use fast phase detect AF with Live View via it's dedicated AF sensor assembly).

The D5000 does have video recording if that's something you're interested in (missing on models like the Sony A500, although the A500 will give you very fast Autofocus using Live View, whereas the Nikon's Autofocus using Live View will be very slow in comparison).

If Video Recording is an important feature, then the D5000 would make a better choice (as the Sony models don't have that feature yet).

But, I'd go new versus used with that little price difference.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:52 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It's only 429 brand new now at many UK vendors (or 479 including a Nikkor 18-55mm VR lens).
That makes it even harder to justify spending 400 on a used one.
Buy new or offer a lower price maybe 300-350. Don't don't don't
don't buy it unless the seller has the original receipt.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:58 AM   #54
Administrator

P.S.

So that member have a better understanding of what you're looking at (and why), and can give you more informed responses, I've merged the two threads you started on what camera to buy, so that all questions and answers will be in the same thread.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:06 AM   #55

koolpc-

While the lure of the Nikon D-5000 might seem large, the price being asked for the D-5000 is too high. It might be OK at 320 to 350 pound sterling, but certainly not at 400 pounds.

I also believe that the D-5000 has many features that you will never make use of in your normal operations, thus that purchase might represent some money wasted. Your purchase of the NEW Sony A-230 sounds much more common sense and logical.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:23 AM   #56

Get a new A230, it will give you the best bang for your buck and a satisfaction of getting a brand new product. If you have left over, invest on a prime lens(Minolta 50mm F1.7 or Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM).
Fhame Rashid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:35 PM   #57

I know, i know. The D5000 looks like a really nice camera. Cant see it for less than 450 brand new with lens anywhere!

This one is new, boxed.

Is it worth buying the D5000 over the A230, brand new? Worth the extra over the A230?

Last edited by Koolpc; Jun 7, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:44 PM   #58
Administrator

Yes (if budget permits).

The Nikon D5000 uses a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor (as used in models like the Sony A500, Pentax K-x, and more), that will do much better at higher ISO speeds compared to the Sony 10MP CCD Sensors used in models like the Nikon D3000, Sony A230 and Sony A330.

The image processing Nikon uses in the D5000 is also very good, with better Noise Reduction algorithms compared to most other models using a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor, while maintaining good Dynamic Range in images.

If you plan on using higher ISO speeds often, it's a very good camera. But, don't buy it because of it's Live View feature (as it will be very slow in comparison to models like the Sony A3xx, A5xx, etc.).
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:57 PM   #59

Quote:
This one is new, boxed.
New means sealed in the box and a receipt that says "Mon June 7, 2010".
Cameras are like cars, once you drive it out of the showroom, it's value
falls by a significant amount.

New means that if you buy at a distance (internet, mail-order, telephone)
you can send it back if you change your mind for any reason, or even
for no reason at all (EU distance selling regulations).

New means you get a 2 year Nikon warranty. This is in addition to
your statutory rights. (Sale of goods act or UK equiv.)

From Nikon UK:
"To take advantage of the extended warranty you must be a resident of the UK or Republic of Ireland and are required to register the product within 30 days of purchase. The camera or kit must have been distributed by Nikon UK & Republic of Ireland."

Quote:
Is it worth buying the D5000 over the A230, brand new? Worth the extra over the A230?
It's your money.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 1:01 PM   #60
Administrator

As a general "rule of thumb", Nikon distributors will *not* warranty a product unless you're the original purchaser, and purchase that product from an Authorized Nikon dealer in the region you live in, even if it's within the original warranty time frame.

In other words, if someone purchases a Nikon camera that's brand new, and sells it to you a week later, you don't get the warranty, even if you have their receipt for it (since they resold the product, and you're not buying it from an authorized Nikon dealer in the area you live in). In other words, the warranty is not transferable.