Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:45 PM   #61

I have been totally swayed to only purchasing a 'new', shop or internet shop bought camera now guys!! Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Glad i had the courage to ask again on here for advice as i thought i was going to be shouted at!! lol

Just got to decide which camera again. The A230 keeps pulling me towards it all the time!!

Last night, i spend hours researching the Panny FZ38!!!!!!!!!! People still say though that DSLR is where its at if you want to learn to take great pics etc. The zoom lens looks nice but it is not everything is it.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 2:57 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
I have been totally swayed to only purchasing a 'new', shop or internet shop bought camera now guys!! Thanks for steering me in the right direction.
Nothing wrong with buying second hand once you fully understand the risks.
However, as you can see from the discussion in this thread, there are
real advantages to buying new.

Quote:
Glad i had the courage to ask again on here for advice as i thought i was going to be shouted at!! lol
There are worse things than being shouted at in an Internet forum

Quote:
Just got to decide which camera again. The A230 keeps pulling me towards it all the time!!
It is an attractive option and the price is very competitive.

Quote:
Last night, i spend hours researching the Panny FZ38!!!!!!!!!! People still say though that DSLR is where its at if you want to learn to take great pics etc. The zoom lens looks nice but it is not everything is it.
The FZ38 is a great bridge camera. I have the FZ28 which uses the
same 18x 'Leica' lens. It can produce good image quality in
good light:

And sometimes even in dark conditions:

The big advantage of bridge cameras like the FZ38 is the huge zoom
range of the built-in lens. Since you have already stated that the typical
3x zoom range of a DSLR standard kit lens is adequate for your needs,
I think a DSLR is probably the best option for you. There isn't much
difference between the price of the FZ38 and the A230 anyway.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:08 PM   #63

The D5000 would be the better low light dslr as the A230 is only good upto 1600iso. It gets noise after that. The d5000 can shoot well at 3200iso, and acceptable at 6400iso. Match that with the af-s 35mm 1.8 and it will do a nice job in low light conditions.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:03 PM   #64

I hear people going on about Lens Motor issues with D5000? Whats that all about, and 2ndly are Lens's expensive for the Nikon? I as as i would love to get a nice zoom that has a decent range and can be left on the camera and used for most shots.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:14 PM   #65
Administrator

The newer entry level Nikon dSLR bodies (D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D5000) do not have a focus motor built into them. As a result, you'll need a lens with a built in focus motor if you want Autofocus. That means using AF-S (Silent Wave Focusing Motor) lenses in the Nikkor lineup, HSM (Hypersonic Focus Motor) lenses in the Sigma lineup, or lenses clearly labeled as having a built in motor in the Tamron lineup.

As for an "all in one" zoom lens, I'd look at the Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-5.6 Di II:

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/18250_diII.asp

It's available for Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony dSLR models.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:48 PM   #66

OK, koolpc-

Let's look at the Nikon D-5000 camera. The all in one lens that JimC suggested (the Tamron 18-250mm) is an expensive lens. It sells for nearly $(US)500.00 so that would be a costly alternative.

Normally D-5000 users like myself use the Nikon 18-55mmVR kit lens and a second telephoto lens, I use the Nikon 55-200mmVR lens. That Nikon 55-200mmVR lens sells for around $(US)200.00. That is better in terms of cost than the Tamron 18-350mm lens but it is a cost that has to be added to the initial cost of the D-5000 camera you are looking at right now. But since you seem to like zoom, consider this: the lens (the Nikon 55-200mmVR) will only give you a reach of 300mm, in 35mm terms. The Panasonic FZ-38 has an 18X optical zoom (28 to 504mm) which would give you a much longer reach.

So if zoom in now your #1 priority, the Panasonic FZ-38 with its longer/great zoom would seem to be a better choice, but the FZ-38's image quality is slightly below those of a DSLR camera. Corkpix has kindly posted multiple FZ-38 samples for you.

Choosing the FZ-38 would also reduce your up front costs, eliminate lens changing, and the additional cost of DSLR camera lenses.

So it would appear that, as I write post #65, that we are back once again at the beginning. So please help us out won't you. We are happy to handle all of your questions, but the constant camera switching is becoming slightly mind boggling!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:53 PM   #67

For the d5000 I would go with the tamron 18-270mm VC over the 18-250. It is an IS lens.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 6:08 PM   #68

You are very correct, Shoturtle-

But the tamron 18-270mmVC or the Tamron 18-250mmVC lens would be over budget I believe for the OP.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:08 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
I hear people going on about Lens Motor issues with D5000? Whats that all about, and 2ndly are Lens's expensive for the Nikon? I as as i would love to get a nice zoom that has a decent range and can be left on the camera and used for most shots.
Superzoom lenses produce images of lower quality than you might get from multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges, and they frequently cost more. Superzoom lenses are convenient, but that's all they are. The quality of an image outlasts any slight inconvenience you may have been subjected to in order to capture it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:38 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Superzoom lenses produce images of lower quality than you might get from multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges, and they frequently cost more. Superzoom lenses are convenient, but that's all they are. The quality of an image outlasts any slight inconvenience you may have been subjected to in order to capture it.
Exactly what i wanted to hear! Nice to have the long zoom lens but ultimately the images suffer.