Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:34 PM   #1

Default ZS3 lacking in pep..

Hi all,
my ZS3 arrived today.. I played around with it just a little, and feeling a bit frustrated that the zoom and focus operate so slowly. This may be where trying out Sony HX5 beforehand has spoiled me a bit--now that was a camera with speedy performance. Unfortunately the resulting images were not so much to my liking.

I'm wondering if the ZS7 might do better in this area, I really need a more responsive camera (with reliable image quality). Any suggestions would be more than welcome!
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:49 PM   #2

Focus on the ZS7 is quicker than the ZS3. I don't know about the zoom speed but it doesn't irk me and the ZS3 zoom did when I tried it in the store about a year ago. Either it is improved on the ZS7 or I've just gotten more patient. ;p Honestly though, if that's all you can complain about vs the 1001 flaws of the HX5V, I think you're in good shape.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:57 PM   #3

All right, well I'm one notch on the dial closer to giving ZS7 a try. I agree, HX5 was quite flawed, how did Sony get to be such a disappointing brand? Seems like they used to have something good going on. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:34 PM   #4

I think Sony put a lot of R&D into the hardware and features and nothing into the rest of it. 1080 video but terrible audio and poor video IS. They corrected barrel distortion in stills but not the wide angle video. Awesome panorama feature but again - why didn't they correct barrel distortion in this mode? A good sensor (for its size) but half the shots are ruined by noise reduction that we can't control. (Ricoh did it right w/ the CX3) A high-end lens on the TX7 and a mediocre lens on the HX5V? The HX5V is the flagship model - why would you do that? Sony markets more towards the average consumer rather than the enthusiast and I think that's where the results stem from. It seems like a half done project.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:33 PM   #5

*nods* Your technical understanding of these workings seems many (MANY) paces ahead of mine, but I agree whole-heartedly with everything you just said.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:40 PM   #6

Seriously though, does Sony have no other players in the subcompact game? My old roommate from 5+ yrs ago had their old DSC-T1, that thing took great snapshots. Awesome toy. Now, a friend has a TX5 that she feels stuck with and we've got a lot of people feeling surprised that Sony hasn't delivered. I'm wondering just how far back I'd have to go with them to get a decent pocket camera.