Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:33 PM   #1

Default Nikon or Olympus???? I would like to decide today!

My wonderful husband bought me a Nikon D3000 for my birthday. I went to the camera shop and ended up switching for the Olympus E-520. Now I am STILL confused as what would be best for my needs.

I have read pros and cons and see that the Nikon is better in the low light/ISO area. Another reason I am having doubts is because I am a sucker for name brands so I keep thinking of the Nikon.

Which camera will I be able to grow with the most? I have 4 children and will be taking many shots of them and would like to get into macro photos.

Also I am not concerned about the live view so that is not a deciding factor.....I want the best picture quality under most circumstances and a camera body that is best for growth as I learn.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by maajick; Jun 5, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
maajick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:49 PM   #2

maajick-

Both the Nikon D-3000 and the olympus E-520 are very limiting cameras. The D-3000 lacks features and a high ISO capability. The E-520 has a very limited dynamic range. Notice that I did not say "bad." The simple bottom line is that you can do better than either of these two cameras. The E-620 is a much more solid DSLR camera that is not limited like the E-520. The Nikon D-5000 is a much better choice than the D-3000. The D-5000 has video, a high ISO capability, and an articulated LCD screen. If you spend a little more you will get a better camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:00 PM   #3

Both are pure entry level cameras, so it's more a decision of what camera fits your ergo needs better.

d3000 and the d5000 will not auto focus the lower price nikon lenses without auto focus motors. The e520 is not as good in the low light as the d3000, d3000 shoots okay at 1600iso, the e520 800iso.

I would also look at the canon XSi for a good entry level along with the e620.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 5, 2010 at 3:54 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:58 PM   #4

Shoturtle, that's a good idea-

The Canon XS1 DSLR camera is another very good alternative.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:47 PM   #5

Neither the Nikon D3000 or the Olympus E-520 are particularly good at what you say you want to do (photos of children, macro.) If any of your children currently participate in sports (or soon will), neither of them have autofocus systems that are good at that. In fact, of all the entry level dSLRs, I'd say that the D3000 and the E-520 are the worst.

Canon has the best autofocus system for shooting sports, but for hand held macro shooting, Canon only has one stabilized lens. Pentax and Sony both have image stabilization in the camera body, so any macro lens is stabilized, including third party macro lenses. And while their AF systems aren't as good as Canon's for shooting sports, they're better than Olympus' or the least expensive Nikons.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 3:46 PM   #6

Stabilization is nice to have but not a must have. I do macro hand held without IS all the time with my canon. So we should not over value the IS option. It is nice to have but not a deal killer.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 3:55 PM   #7

The pentax K-x is a much better camera, but is atleast 70 more then the XSi, D3000, e620, and e520
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Stabilization is nice to have but not a must have. I do macro hand held without IS all the time with my canon. So we should not over value the IS option. It is nice to have but not a deal killer.
For maajick, anything from Canon, Pentax or Sony would be better than the D3000 or anything from Olympus. Adding stabilization for the macro stuff just helps narrow down the field a little.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:19 PM   #9

I would not include the sony A3xx in the mix with are camera in the same price range. They are not up to par with the e620 or the d5000.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 6, 2010 at 9:38 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I would not include the sony A3xx in the mix which are camera in the same price range. They are not up to par with the e620 or the d5000.
For shooting active children, they're better. Not as much as the others, but they are better.