Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 6, 2010, 7:02 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoug83 View Post
In my humble opinion, those are all terrible suggestions.

Definitely the bump up to a dSLR is the way to go. Your initial instinct of considering the T1i was a good one. However, if price isn't as much of an issue, consider the new T2i. Canon and Nikon outsell Pentax, Sony, and all the other dSLR brands by a long shot for a reason. If you read the reviews on this website and others (dcresource.com) is a great alternate site to read reviews, you'll find that Canon and Nikon dSLR's continually outshine the other brands.
That's an interesting point of view, especially since Nikon frequently uses Sony image sensors. And while Canon and Nikon both have some excellent lenses, some of Sony's 'Zeiss' and 'G' lenses are even better. So if the the combination of the image sensor and the optics is what makes a great camera, wouldn't Sony outperform Nikon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoug83 View Post
As far as your lens questions go, go with a Sigma or Tamron lens with a focal range of 18-200mm. That will give you fairly good telephoto and wide angle all in one. ...
I presume you're aware that of the lenses mentioned in this thread, an 18-200, ANY 18-2X0, would produce the worst image quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoug83 View Post
... You most likely will still want to by a macro lens for close up work... maybe a 50mm f1.8. This will give you a fast lens with a good focal length for a fairly cheap price and it's also super compact. Canon makes that lens for under $100. Don't spend too much on expensive lenses if you are just a starting out in the world of dSLR's. As it is, you'll notice a great improvement just upgrading to the dSLR.

I am a professional photographer and sold digital SLR's for several years so I have a lot of experience in placing the right camera for a persons needs. I also shoot with a Canon 5D MII.
Did you often sell the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens to people by telling them it was a macro lens?
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:48 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3
Default

Nikon used to frequently use Sony sensors and beginning with the D90 the majority of their sensors are now in house. I was just using Nikon as an example as it would be my second choice next to Canon, I do believe that Canon sensors are better (and I've shot with both). You are essentially trying to say that Nikon and Sony cameras should have the same image quality because they Nikon used to use Sony sensors, which is definitely not true! Sony has been pushing to gain market share by potentially buying Pentax and they already purchased Minolta a few years back and still don't have near as much as Canon or Nikon. Why would people continually be buying Nikon cameras if Sony was clearly superior? Oh I know, because they're not.

I am aware that any 18-200 lens would lessen the image quality, though consider that he is stepping up from a point and shoot camera. Any dSLR with any lens will produce much better quality photos than a point and shoot. He will still notice a world of difference even with the 18-200 lens. If you want an all in one lens for long distance and close up, this is the only choice without having to lug 2 lenses around (3 if you count the macro lens he is considering as well). He is not a professional and if he was I wouldn't be suggesting this combination nor would he probably be asking for our help.

As far as the 50mm 1.8 lens goes, I was suggesting something in his price range that would have good results. I can suggest 10 other lenses, but they all cost significantly more. What other lens would you suggest under $200 that can do as good of a job?

Last edited by ccoug83; Jun 10, 2010 at 6:52 PM.
ccoug83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:20 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Other than the original post, the OP has never re-posted.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:45 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoug83 View Post
Nikon used to frequently use Sony sensors and beginning with the D90 the majority of their sensors are now in house. I was just using Nikon as an example as it would be my second choice next to Canon, I do believe that Canon sensors are better (and I've shot with both). You are essentially trying to say that Nikon and Sony cameras should have the same image quality because they Nikon used to use Sony sensors, which is definitely not true! Sony has been pushing to gain market share by potentially buying Pentax ...
Where did you hear that bit of nonsense? The only potential buyer for Pentax is Samsung, the company that makes the image sensors in Pentax' higher end models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoug83 View Post
... and they already purchased Minolta a few years back and still don't have near as much as Canon or Nikon. ...
How long do you think it actually takes to design and build a new lens? I don't know how many new lenses Sony has in the works, but the ones they've already got stand up pretty well to the best from Canon and Nikon.

And let's face it. Sony's Zeiss lenses run rings around anything comparable, except possibly Zeiss' lenses for the Canon and Nikon mounts, except they don't AF on those mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoug83 View Post
Why would people continually be buying Nikon cameras if Sony was clearly superior? Oh I know, because they're not.

I am aware that any 18-200 lens would lessen the image quality, though consider that he is stepping up from a point and shoot camera. Any dSLR with any lens will produce much better quality photos than a point and shoot. He will still notice a world of difference even with the 18-200 lens. If you want an all in one lens for long distance and close up, this is the only choice without having to lug 2 lenses around (3 if you count the macro lens he is considering as well). ...
So now you thing that the 18-200 is a macro lens too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoug83 View Post
He is not a professional and if he was I wouldn't be suggesting this combination nor would he probably be asking for our help.

As far as the 50mm 1.8 lens goes, I was suggesting something in his price range that would have good results. I can suggest 10 other lenses, but they all cost significantly more. What other lens would you suggest under $200 that can do as good of a job?
Yeah. I can suggest a VW Beetle for moving furniture too, but a pick-up will do what the Beetle can't, though it does cost more. You can take more trips with the Beetle to do the same thing the pick-up can do in one. How many shots do you have to take with the 50/1.8 before you get a macro shot?
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:02 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
Default Next questions

Thanks you all for your suggestions regarding which camera might best meet our needs. We are focusing in on the Canon T2i as one of you suggested. If we get that camera, what lenses do you suggest? We want to be able to do macro, wide angle, and wildlife telephoto. I realize we will get better quality photos with separate lenses but I am attracted to the ease of use of a zoom lens for travel. We are looking at Canon and Tamron lenses which are in the 18-200 range with image stabilization. How does that sound? How much will the quality suffer compared to two lenses? How does the Tamron lens compare to the Canon?

Any help you can offer will be appreciated!
Ellya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:41 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,544
Default

First, none of the superzooms can do macro.

Second, they also distort a lot, so photos of buildings will look funny.

Third, they have more chromatic aberration and aren't as sharp as multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges.

Superzoom lenses are convenient, but that's all they are.

For the Canon, I'd suggest the 70-300 IS USM or 55-250 IS, and the kit lens or the 15-85 IS USM. The 15-85 wouldn't be much of a Macro lens, but the 70-300 will do 1:2 macro while the 55-250 will only do 1:3.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; Jun 14, 2010 at 7:02 AM. Reason: correction
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 5:43 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,487
Default

Get the Kit Lens with the T2i and also the following for a good start as they are cheap and effective:The Tamron is $269 at Amazon and has a $50 rebate right now...and they both shoot Macro...The Sigma can be had for cheap $150 my wife has one and refuses to let me use it! Lol...

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro Super Lens for Canon-AF Camera
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-300mm...6510074&sr=8-4
Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens for Canon Digital
Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens for Canon

Last edited by LTZ470; Jun 14, 2010 at 5:46 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:13 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Get the Kit Lens with the T2i and also the following for a good start as they are cheap and effective:The Tamron is $269 at Amazon and has a $50 rebate right now...and they both shoot Macro...The Sigma can be had for cheap $150 my wife has one and refuses to let me use it! Lol...

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro Super Lens for Canon-AF Camera
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-300mm...6510074&sr=8-4
Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens for Canon Digital
Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens for Canon
The Sigma 70-300 DL is not actually a very good lens. It is inexpensive, but the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is much better, and only about $15 more. And the Canon 70-300 IS USM and 55-250 IS are much better than that, though they do cost much more. And they're all 1:2 macro lenses, (except the 55-250) so the Sigma isn't an improvement there either.

And while the Tamron 18-200 does contain the word "Macro" in it's title, it has a magnification ratio of only 1:3.7, which is less than even the Canon 55-250. I've owned this lens, and soon after I got it, its warts started to appear. I stopped using it as soon as I had something else. This would not be a good choice.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:19 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,487
Default

TCav you are right I was looking at cost to fun factor even if the zoomer is a little on the lacking side...the T2i w/ kit lens is a big hit and then throw in at least one cheap zoomer for additional fun in Costa Rico...the Tamron 70-300 would be a good choice for fun also and great for day trips and the cheap build on the Sigma's and Tamrons make them light also...

My wife loves her Sigma 70-300 and I did shoot a few macros with it before she took it away from me...lol...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:08 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3
Default

Tcav, it seems you don't actually listen to the question and just suggest all this expensive equipment for a beginner. I'm glad they've taken some of my suggestions seriously and considering the T2i as well as an 18-200 lens. I'm sure it will yield them the results they want at a reasonable price.

I don't usually post at all on any forums, but Tcav just annoys me. Not everyone likes the exact same thing you do.
ccoug83 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:50 AM.