Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:23 AM   #21

Can we define Macro. If you want true macro or do you want close up ability. If you want true macro none of the macro zooms will give you the results you are looking. If you are looking for close up the tamron 18-200 will do the job along with the canon ef-s 55-250mm. If you want a all in one zoom, you may also want to consider tamron 18-270mm VC may be another choice, but it is more expensive. Pretty much all zooms will give you close up ability.

If you want a true macro, a macro prime will be the way to go. It will give you sharper results. The ef 50mm 2.5 macro and sigma 50mm 2.8 macro is a decent low price macro, or if you want a better macro lens, and ef-s 60mm 2.8 is not to expensive of a true macro lens at 1:1.

But if price is a concern the ef-s 55-250 or the tamron 18-200mm would be a decent choice.

Just something else to consider though the ef 50mm 1.8 is not a true macro lens, it does decent for close up shooting, and it is only 90-100 dollar. I have used it in the past for handheld flower shots. And it does ok, not for bugs though. That you will want a least a zoom, or better yet a true macro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellya View Post
Thanks you all for your suggestions regarding which camera might best meet our needs. We are focusing in on the Canon T2i as one of you suggested. If we get that camera, what lenses do you suggest? We want to be able to do macro, wide angle, and wildlife telephoto. I realize we will get better quality photos with separate lenses but I am attracted to the ease of use of a zoom lens for travel. We are looking at Canon and Tamron lenses which are in the 18-200 range with image stabilization. How does that sound? How much will the quality suffer compared to two lenses? How does the Tamron lens compare to the Canon?

Any help you can offer will be appreciated!

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 19, 2010 at 2:26 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoug83 View Post
Tcav, it seems you don't actually listen to the question and just suggest all this expensive equipment for a beginner.
If you had read from the beginning of this thread, you'd have seen that my original suggestion was for the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 (~$370) and the Tamron 70-300 Di LD (~$165). They're not so expensive, and thye're far better than any superzoom, and can do the "Macro" that Ellya said, in both of her posts, that she wanted to be able to do.

(The superzooms and the 50/1.8 that you mentioned would not be able to do the "Macro" she wanted. I presume that's because you didn't listen to the question. Either that or you didn't know that the 50/1.8 and the 18-200 were far from being "Macro" lenses.)

Quote:
I'm glad they've taken some of my suggestions seriously and considering the T2i as well as an 18-200 lens. I'm sure it will yield them the results they want at a reasonable price.
I've used both the Sigma and the Tamron 18-200, and found them both to be unsatisfactory (The Sigma was the first lens I ever used where I actually saw chromatic aberration in the viewfinder!) Using either of them on an 18Mp dSLR will almost certainly be a disappointment. The lenses themselves aren't very good; poeple certainly don't need an 18MP image that points it out.

Quote:
I don't usually post at all on any forums, but Tcav just annoys me. Not everyone likes the exact same thing you do.
I'm intrigued. From however much research you've been able to do, what do you presume it is that I like?

Last edited by TCav; Jun 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 3:26 AM   #23

Again, I thank you for your advice. I've certainly spent a lot of time reading about all of this, and your tips have guided my research. We ordered the T2i camera bodies with kit lens included. In addition, we ordered Canon 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS USM and 70-300 4.5-5.6 IS USM lenses. I think that will give us good "everyday" lenses as well as some telephoto ability. We will try those out for "close up" and decide if we want to add a true macro later (especially since the initial outlay was not cheap!). Now I would love any advice on batteries, filters and hoods. Should I stick with Canon or use aftermarket products? Any recommendations? I am also looking at guides to learn more about using the cameras...any advice?
Ellya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 3:37 AM   #24

with the 15-85 i do not think the 18-55 will see much uses. You are pretty much doubling up the ranges.

I get all my lens hoods and batteries from ebay form hk or china, they are only couple of dollars with free shipping vs 25-35 dollar for the canon made one. I do not use filters for protection. I use haze filters, ND, and cpl for effects. But with filters, I recommend getting good ones.

Magic lantern has some good books, not sure if they came out with a t2i one yet.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 3:38 AM   #25

also the 70-300 does decent as a "marco" zoom lens.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 6:59 AM   #26

That sounds like one heck of a nice setup. I know it will work out well for you.

As for accessories, I definately suggest some extra OEM batteries, and an extra OEM charger as well. The battery for the T2i performs quite well, but if you use 'Live View' a lot, the battery won't last long. If it dies when you're out exploring, you'll really miss having a spare. I have three batteries and two chargers, I always carry a spare battery, and I always have one sitting in the charger when I get back.

Hoods are never a bad idea, but unless you've got soemthing specific in mind, I think you should skip the filters.

BTW, you know that the gear you're getting is a lot bigger and heavier than what you're using now, right?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:09 PM   #27

Hi congrats on choosing a camera. Where did you end up purchasing your camera and lenses? Just curious as Im looking to buy a new camera too.
fawks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:21 PM   #28

Yes, we realize the kit lens is superfluous given the 15-85 lens we bought, but getting the body only right now is hard...it was sold out or cost virtually the same as the kit. So, we decided the kit lens could be a "spare" in case of a disaster of some sort. I just didn't think I could live with so little zoom. We ordered the cameras and lenses from Adorama. I have ordered from them before. They shipped (according to them) the next day. The order has not arrived yet, so I can't report on that. Costco is going to get this same camera, but it is not in stock yet. We needed to buy now so we can get in some practice before our trip.

We do want several batteries, I have 3 for my current camera. We do know this is a bigger, heavier camera. I will be keeping my Lumix FZ30 for when I want something compact. Do you recommend the hard flower type hoods or the rubber ones? My current camera has a flower one, but the rubber ones look interesting. If we get a protective filter (I am not always good about lens caps...) is there a brand/type that will be less likely to degrade photo quality?

Thanks everyone!!
Ellya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:36 PM   #29

I buy from adorama all the time, they are close saturdays, if you place your order friday, it will most likely ship this monday

I recommend the flower or regular cone ones. The rubber ones keep breaking. If you do a ebay search of et-65b it will come up with results for the canon knock off hood for the 70-300mm
Old Jun 20, 2010, 4:05 PM   #30

Quote:
... We needed to buy now so we can get in some practice before our trip.
Excellent idea.

Quote:
... Do you recommend the hard flower type hoods or the rubber ones?
The hard hoods (flower, conical, or cylindrical) provide a level of protection that the rubber ones don't. I wholeheartedly recommend the OEM lens hoods. The EW-78E and ET-65B are both available from Adorama, but if you can get an equivalent item for significantly less, that's not a bad idea.

Quote:
... If we get a protective filter (I am not always good about lens caps...) is there a brand/type that will be less likely to degrade photo quality?
Modern lenses are actually pretty tough, but if you want to use a protective filter, get a good one. B+W and Heliopan are very good, and Hoya HD and SMC, and Tiffen HT are good. For the 15-85, you should get a thin filter; a regular filter will cause vignetting. (BTW, if you're thinking about a circular polarizing filter, it will cause significant vignetting on the 15-85 at wider angles. Plus, circular polarizing filters are hard to use with a lens hood attached.)

Last edited by TCav; Jun 20, 2010 at 8:34 PM.