Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 6, 2010, 6:49 PM   #1

Default so i need help/advice..what camera should i get?

Hey everyone, nice forums, i just read through a few threads on here and registered hoping you can help me out

So here's my story: I had/have a slr camera back from film days, cosima CT1super(star) with kit lense but also have a zoom lens miranda (70-210mm 1:4.5-5.6 mc macro)
Then digital cameras came out and i got a compact pentax optio550.
Now that it's getting a bit old i've been looking at the market.

Thinking if i should go again with a p&s or to a dslr.
I do like photography and enjoy doing in a lot specially on travel, also snapping pics of my dogs and stuff, mostly travel, landscape, people, but if i get excited about it maybe i'll start getting creative with shots etc, photography is a hobby bug i would really like having.

Price range i was hoping i wouldn't spend too much..but up to around the 700-800 would be acceptable i guess.

Looking through the market i first looked at starter's Nikon D3000 and Canon 1000d, (specially cause there was a special deal for the d3000) but i let it pass and have now been looking at the higher range D90 vs 550D dilemma.
If i get into all this i'll also need a zoom lense and maybe a macro..oh my wallet i can feel the pain already :P

Then again i might find slr too dawnting a might just stick with compacts and in that range the panasonic tz6 caught my eye at the store here in portugal the other day.
Maybe i'll find that i'll still need a compact just because of the slr being cumbersome to take everywhere..is this a common experience?

So as you see i'm pretty undecided lol, i've seen pros and cons, reviews for the various cameras, handled a few at the store (for example i find canon's a bit chunkier than nikon's), and i was hoping all you experts can lead me in the right direction.

Also i'm hoping to learn a lot from you as my slr skills could be classed as close to none right now.

So basically i need help/suggestions for everything (hope i'm not too difficult a task) cheers for any input you can give me.
orion318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2010, 7:15 PM   #2

think either the d90 or the 550d would be excelent cameras for you - the d90 i would say is nicer camera to use with top lcd screen and buttons etc (matter of personal preference here) but its older so the 550 will give you more mega pixels and better low light performance

dslr will give you much better images than a p&s and more creative control with depth of field and low light performance etc so if your after creativity rather than just a tool to capture some snaps then dslr is the way to go
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 7:49 PM   #3

orion-

Welcome to the Forum. We're very pleased you dropped by.

With your budget, either the Canon 550D or Nikon D-90 are possibilities. Please keep in mind that Canon and Nikon put the Image Stabilization in their lenses. If you want in body image stabilization, Olympus, Sony, and Pentax would be your choice. With an Olympus (E-30), Sony (A-550), or Pentax DSLR (Kx or K-7) every lens you mount on your DSLR will have the benefit of image stabilization.

If you decided to stay with a smaller kit and opted for a compact camera, the Canon G-11 has very good image quality, high ISO ability and is regarded as a top of the shop in the compact camera category. But you are well aware of the fact that the extra lenses make a DSLR kit larger, heavier, and more bulky.

Make yourself comfortable and look around at the Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, and Pentax DSLR folders as well as the Canon P+S folder for info on the G-11 model.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:23 PM   #4

First, the bad news: Neither of your lenses will work on a new dSLR. Sorry.

Second. everything you say you want to do can be done well with any current dLSR. So you could probably get excellent results with a less expensive camera body, and then you could spend more on lenses.

Go to a good camera store and try them all out.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:34 PM   #5

Both the d90 and 550D are excellent cameras. If HD video is something you want to get into. The 550D is a better tool, as it can shoot at 1080p vs only 720 with the D90. But next to that both camera has excellent image quality, and can shot everything you want to without issues.

But I would invest in lenses over a higher end body. If you do not need as great HD, I would consider the 500D, and put the savings toward higher grade lenses.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:47 AM   #6

Hey guys, thanks for your input, keep it coming

I'll have to go check out the olympus and pentax dslr, i did look at a sony (320?) and it looked quite bulky and awkard lol, i'll give the A550 a look too.
Seing these are "less popular brands" won't choosing them be a bit restrictive in terms of lens, extras, support, etc?

Also regarding lenses, and respective brands, are the prices quite evenly matched between them or does one brand have good quality lenses for cheaper prices?

I've seen there are other lens brands at the store with different names to the regulars, what bodies do these fit into: like sigma, tokina are the one's i can recall seeing.

Edit: I've looked quickly at the canon g11 and it doesn't look very compact on the picture, and the price for portugal isn't very compact either lol 450€, more than the low end dslr's :P
also the olympus model is quite expensive here in portugal 1000€ body only..which is quite more than the 550d or d90 which you can get for 800-900€ with kit lens.
Still even this is pushing my budget a little...so i'm still studying options.

i'll drabble through more info later though

Thanks once again

Last edited by orion318; Jun 7, 2010 at 4:13 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:51 AM   #7

Yes, the brands like Olympus, Pentax and Sony, have fewer lenses and accessories, both from OEMs and third parties, than Canon and Nikon. But what matters most is if they have the lenses and accessories and features that you need. If you can find a Pentax that can do everything you need, do it well, and it's less expensive, I can't think of a reason not to get it.

The third party lens manufacturers (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.) make lenses for all camera bodies (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, etc.), though, again, they make fewer lenses and accessories for the less popular brands.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:27 PM   #8

Yeah i know i know, i'm going to check them out as well.
Thanks for your input Tcav