Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:08 PM   #1

Default Bought FZ35, DO I NEED A WARRENTY?

Hi, i bought the FZ35 today after reading so many great things about it here. I was offered a 3 year warrenty with it for another 47 (about $67) my question is do i need it?
As a newbie to this camera all and any advice/help in using it will be great too and much appreciated. waiting for the battery to charge up right now but eager to get started.
Many thanks
E.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2010, 1:17 PM   #2

E.-

Well a warranty that covers accidental damage as well as the camera is more viable and valuable. If you drop things or are accident prone, then you should give it some consideration. However, I have never dropped a camera so I usually go with the camera manufacturer's warranty which is for 1 year.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 7, 2010 at 2:03 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 1:57 PM   #3

A warranty is just a form of insurance. The rule of thumb about insurance as I understand it is to buy insurance if you can't sustain the loss yourself. If, e.g., you would be bankrupted by medical bills, buy insurance to cover the risk. If you can afford to replace the camera if it gets broken, you are probably better off not buying the insurance -- the company selling the insurance must cover the average cost of replacement or repair, their own business overhead, and make a profit to boot. There's nothing wrong with that, but why would you pay for all those other things if you didn't need to?
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the help. there seems to be two schools of thought about warrenties so i was just wondering if this camera has any known obvious things that tend to go wrong with it - i too have never dropped a camera and i am thankfully not accident prone. i ask because i have had cameras that didn't last long/developed problems right after the years manufacturer's guarante so i was trying to edge my bets as i couldn't afford to replace it should things go wrong with it.
E.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 6:14 PM   #5

E.-

I have had my FZ35 which is a duplicate of the FZ-38 for almost a year now, and before that I shot with my FZ-28 for two years, then sold it to a friend. It is still performing well.

Panasonic recently received a Camera Manufacturers Association award for producing the most reliable cameras in the last decade. So I do not think that you have much to worry about. There are no know glitches or defects on the FZ-35/38.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 5:51 AM   #6

Thanks for that, i appreciate it.
Where is the P&S Folder you mention in some posts? I would like to be a part of that as i have so much to learn. I played around with he FZ yeterday a bit and recharged the battery and ordered two more batteries too. today i am going to try to learn from the CD that came with it but it is always so much easier to learn from someone who knows the tips and tricks and the camera. the terminology in these CD's/ books are not good and make learning more complicated i think - hense wanting to learn from the folks here who use this camera. Does that make sense?
I truly appreciate any and all help i can get as i have looked at the photos on this forum from my new camera and would love to take photos like them.
Many thanks again as always.
E.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:07 PM   #7

Where did you purchase yours eysha? i got mine 2nd hand from avforums, but it came with a jessops receipt which i was able to use to claim a free 3yr warranty from Panasonic. http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...#anker_4642277
no-ice is offline   Reply With Quote