Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2010, 2:56 PM   #1

Default mom of small kids needs desperate help

I have 2 small fast moving kids. changing from old p&s canon. the choices are sony dsc hx5v, canon sx210is, nikon s8000.
Must haves: min 10x optical zoom, short time between shots, good pic quality, option to shoot few shots continuously, not bulky. The size of pics to be developed will be mostly 5x7
I really liked the features of the sony but am scared with lots of reviews saying pic quality is poor. my one sis who owns a canon sx200is is happy with the pic quality of canon my other sis who owns a nikon s8000 is very happy with that. But Ive noticed that the pics look great on the canon camera but not as good on the laptop. i am totally an auto mode person 'coz dont have time or knowledge to go manual. PLEASE will someone help me decide quick as I have 2 buy within a couple of days. i am open to other suggestions also.
admae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:10 PM   #2

Where do you shoot mostly inside (low lighting) or outside (good lighting)? Video preference?

That will assist in making a good choice...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:16 PM   #3

admae-

The Canon SX-200 does have good image quality and a good built-in flash for indoor shots. All in all, its an average to slightly above average camera. However, you cannot zoom while filming HD video and the pop-up built-in flash pops-up whenever the camera is powered up whether you need it or not.

The Panasonic ZS7 has GPS very good image quality, and a very good HD video that does indeed allow you to zoom while filming. The ZS7 has 12X optical zoom and a nice wide angle (25mm) in that zoom range. Image quality is very good, although the built-in flash is a little weak. Expect a Flash Range (the maximum distance measured in feet between the camera and the subject) of about 9 to 10 feet.

The Nikon S-8000 looks better on paper than in reality. It does have a Burst Shooting speed of 3 fps, which is very fast for a P+S camera, but those Burst Shooting photos are taken only at 3mp, which is not very impressive. When you power up the S-8000, there is an unexplained 3 second delay before you can shoot the first photo. The S-8000 also does NOT allow zooming while filming video.

So you can see that the Panasonic ZS7 is probably the best choice among these three cameras, if you keep the camera within 10 feet of your subject when shooting flash photos indoors. The ZS7 is around $306 at Amazon. If that is too much there are other choices available, but the ZS7 is one of the more popular 10X+ cameras in the market.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:10 PM   #4

I think the ZS7 is a far better camera than the HX5V but at 5x7 prints, I think the Sony is generally ok. I think one of the other major issues for P&S users is the indoor AWB (auto white balance). It simply doesn't work properly indoors and manual WB needs to be set. Initially I thought, so what? Then I took it to the aquarium and realized that I had to set it again every time I stood in front of a different tank. After 3 weeks of indecision, that one trip made up my mind.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:49 AM   #5

thanks for your help
LTZ 470 - everyday indoors and every other day outside.............about movies..........about once a week.....focus is mainly on the kids
mtclimber - what is your opinion on sx210 is. i am little hesistated on zs7 because of limited service centers in case of problems. any other suggestion?
FiveO - what did u do about AWB. did u go for slr? what do u suggest?

can any one tell me as sony is 10.2 mp y are the prints not ok beyond 5 x 7
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by admae View Post
thanks for your help
LTZ 470 - everyday indoors and every other day outside.............about movies..........about once a week.....focus is mainly on the kids
mtclimber - what is your opinion on sx210 is. i am little hesistated on zs7 because of limited service centers in case of problems. any other suggestion?
FiveO - what did u do about AWB. did u go for slr? what do u suggest?

can any one tell me as sony is 10.2 mp y are the prints not ok beyond 5 x 7
The AWB on the ZS7 is quite good, including indoors. I kept the ZS7 and was ready to return the HX5V - but my wife decided she liked it for its simplicity, so we each got a new cam. The ZS7 is my 1st choice. The Ricoh CX3 would probably be my 2nd choice. The HX5V would be my 3rd choice.

I honestly wouldn't worry much about service centers. Panasonic has been rated the most reliable brand and that reflects my experience as well. Certainly things can go wrong with any make or model, but I wouldn't let it factor into your decision. Warranties are probably only 1 year anyway for all brands (?).

The issue with print size with all of these cameras isn't MP but rather sensor size. 8x10 is about the biggest I would go with any cam in this class before the image starts to look like junk. I'd probably keep it to 5x7 for the Sony HX5V. Due to the excessive noise reduction, the images start to look muddy as heck larger than that.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 5:14 AM   #7

FiveO - your web album doesnt mention which photo has been taken by which camera. Can u tell a bit more about sensor size what is should one look for in a camera? since u own both the cameras what is the meaning of soft photos of sony? Sonys panorama mode seems 2 b very attractive. Also the burst mode is good. Does the flash work in burst mode and does the panasonic have some of these features as well?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:15 AM   #8

admae-

You asked about the Canon Sx-210. The camera is quite good in the close-up to 50 yards away venue, but stutters and stumbles a bit, as distance in creases. If you could just consider it a 10X or 12X optical zoom camera you would be quite happy with the image quality. The other area on concern is with close-ups when using flash. At distances of 4 feet and less the flash will create a lens mount shadow in the lower right hand corner of the photo.

As I mentioned previously, the built-in flash pops up whenever the camera is powered up, but unlike the SX-200, on the SC-210 the pop-up flash can be manually stowed, leaving you a rather important grip point in holding the camera.

You can also now zoom while filming HD video as well, a feature that the SX-200 was unable to do. All in all, the Canon SX-210 is a rather creditable camera, as long as you can use the work-arounds sescribed.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:20 PM   #9

mtclimber

Can you give your views on sony dsc hx5v also(pros and cons). How would you rate the following:
sony dschx5v
canon sx210is
canon sx200is
lumix zs7
nikon s8000
Old Jun 8, 2010, 1:01 PM   #10

ZS7 all the way I took some indoor samples today with and without flash at ISO400 and they look very good...I think the offwhite wall colors really help though...

if your home has white walls and is decently lit the ZS7 can take absolutely stunning photos for my part...

I really can't say enough good things about it compared to my experience with the Sony HX5...but you don't require GPS so I would look at the ZS6 from Costco...

I even shot several in Programmed Auto "P" Mode for the past few days and Sarah is correct easy excellent shots...it is very close to the FZ35 in quite a few situations...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote