Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:13 PM   #1

Default Panasonic DMC-ZS7 opinions

I've been using my wife's ZS3, which she bought based on recommendations I got here and have overall been very happy with it.

I've been holding off on making my own upgrade for a carry-around P&S till the ZS7 was out a while because the pre-release reviews seemed pretty iffy at best, mostly over image quality. Even the salesman @ B&H was very leery before it came out.

Yet when I read sporadic posts on this forum it seems that people really like it. So what's the verdict?

I'm interested in the the GPS since I travel a great deal and I'm aware of the airplane mode for the GPS, which seems to alleviate that portion of the battery drain.

Image quality is a big concern, though I do know the limitations of the size and format. If it's of any help I do a lot of subtle post (Photoshop CS4), so some issues can be easily dealt with. But I'd be concerned if the IQ wasn't @ least as good as with the ZS3. I waited for the 7 because I do miss the manual controls. Even if I don't use them all the time, I don't like that the 3 doesn't have them.

For the record, I have considered the Canon SX210. The potential dealbreaker on that one is the very annoying way in which the flash pops up and stays popped up. But I do wonder how the image quality of the ZS7 compares withe the SX210.

I'm planning on traveling @ the end of the month--time to pull the trigger. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

DG
dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:41 PM   #2

Deja vu ... This thread covered the IQ issues I think. Typically I don't do anything more than resize and correct color as necessary. (no sharpening, NR, etc). My ZS7 is permanently set at NR -1.

I have only used travel mode but battery life is actually quite good. I charge my camera 1-2 times per week during regular usage and of course I always charge it before going somewhere where I expect to take a lot of pics.

The SX210 is also a nice camera though based on reviews it seems the ZS7 pulls ahead in terms of IQ. What really steered me away from Canon this year was the video. They finally added zoom but reviews say the video quality is still mediocre at best. There's also no GPS which wasn't essential for me, but it was a nice plus considering 90% of my photos are taken out in the wilderness.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:43 PM   #3

dg27-

First let's deal with the Canon SX-210 confusion. Yes, the built-in flash does pop-up whenever the camera is powered up. But there is a change in the SX-210, you can now manually release and stow the built-in flash, if it is not needed.

OK on to the Panasonic ZS7. All in all, the ZS7 gets a thumbs up for image quality. At first, right after the ZS7 introduction, there was a lot of comparing of image quality going on between the ZS3 and ZS7. But the conclusion is that the ZS7 is just fine and the image quality is quite good.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:22 PM   #4

Thanks for your replies, FiveO and Sarah Joyce. I think the ZS7 is too good to pass on @ this point. Pre-release I believe the pricing was supposed to be higher--was pretty shocked when I saw the $306 price @ B&H.

dg
dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:54 PM   #5

Yeah it started out at $399 but dropped within a few weeks to compete with the $350 price tag on the Sony HX5V. Panasonic watches the market and adjusts their prices accordingly. Many companies could learn a thing or two from them.