Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:51 PM   #11

Currently, you will have to make a compromise as Sarah stated. Long zoom or low light it the biggest one. 1080p you will have to give up on the low light as none of the point and shoots that shot 1080 are good in low light. You will have to move up to a canon dslr for 1080p and low light.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:45 PM   #12

Do either of you know how the Canon SX210 compares in quality to the Canon S3?
oceangurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:58 PM   #13

It should be close in performance. Though the sx210 has a higher iso, it really is only good upto 800iso.

Both have a 12-14x zoom, the sx210 has a wider angle lens, but not as bright as the 2.7 of the sx3. So the sx3 performs a bit better in low light. But the sx210 has HD video.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:09 AM   #14

Actually it is a bit of the opposite. While the S-3 (I own one as well as the S-5, and I did own the SX-10, but sold it) does have a faster lens, but it was and is limited by its ISO capability. Up to ISO 200 was fine on the S-3, but the move to ISO 400 brought with it a good deal of noise and a measurable reduction in image quality.

In contrast, while the SX-210 has a slower/smaller aperture lens, it has a better ISO capability, allowing it to move up as far as ISO 800 with ease, making indoor shots without flash a new possibility. So the SX-210 has HD video where you can zoom, a wide angle that the S-3 does not have, the added ISO capability, and about the same image quality as long as you keep the zoom at less than 12X optical zoom. Above 12X optical zoom, the image quality begins to deteriorate measurably.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:42 PM   #15

Wow, if the image quality is the same I think the SX-210 maybe the winner for me. Thanks again for all the feedback!
oceangurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:47 PM   #16

It looks to be a good camera from when I was playing around with it in the stores, but it is not great for low light shooting out of flash range.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangurl View Post
I currently have a Cannon S3 IS. I mostly photograph my baby and toddler, but I also enjoy photography as a hobby - photographing corals and fish in my saltwater aquariums, animals, landscapes, plants, etc. The S3 has served me well for photography, however its video capablities fall short now that I am taking videos of my children on a regular basis.

I would like to get a camera with comparable photo quality and HD video (with zoom, good low light performance, IS). I would rather a smaller sized camera than the S3, as this will turn into my pocket camera at a future time, when I can afford a dSLR.

Is there a camera out there that will meet my needs? Or am I better off keeping the S3 and getting a stand alone camcorder at this point. With two little ones my budget is a bit tight, hoping to spend no more than $450. I liked the looks of the Canon Powershot SX210, and the features of the Sony HX5, however I'm not sure if the photo quality will be anywhere as good as my S3.

Any advice will be much appreciated!
Hi Oceangurl.

I'm searching a good compact with zoom and low light performance and I'm close to choose the Fujifilm F70EXR: small body, sensor bigger than the other digicam, 10x zoom, 10 mpx.
It lacks the HD video capability, but the new F80EXR (review) features HD video (in motionJPEG) in exchange for lower image quality, mainly because of the densier sensor.
They are both good camera in low light, according to the review.

The prices of the F80EXR should fit in your budget.

I don't suggest this digicams, because i don't own any of them, but i want to mention them in this topic in ordet to stimulate the discussion.
Dagobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 1:07 PM   #18

Dagobert-

The Fuji F-70EXR or the F-80EXR only work well for folks who are willing to make many small manual adjustments to get the best image quality from these two cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:07 PM   #19

I think you can hold two, you can use them on different situation.
the Canon Powershot A480/S90/SX120 IS/SX20 IS you can buy less than $450, i think they are familiar with the canon powershot SX210.
the all convenient to use.
cristina yang is offline   Reply With Quote