Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:17 PM   #1

Default Need help selecting new camera ...

I currently have a Cannon S3 IS. I mostly photograph my baby and toddler, but I also enjoy photography as a hobby - photographing corals and fish in my saltwater aquariums, animals, landscapes, plants, etc. The S3 has served me well for photography, however its video capablities fall short now that I am taking videos of my children on a regular basis.

I would like to get a camera with comparable photo quality and HD video (with zoom, good low light performance, IS). I would rather a smaller sized camera than the S3, as this will turn into my pocket camera at a future time, when I can afford a dSLR.

Is there a camera out there that will meet my needs? Or am I better off keeping the S3 and getting a stand alone camcorder at this point. With two little ones my budget is a bit tight, hoping to spend no more than $450. I liked the looks of the Canon Powershot SX210, and the features of the Sony HX5, however I'm not sure if the photo quality will be anywhere as good as my S3.

Any advice will be much appreciated!
oceangurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:36 PM   #2

The closes thing would be a panasonic lx3, it shoots 720p HD video, and in the same league as the s90 and g11 in low light with the larger sensor and f2 lens. But you will have to give up a long zoom 2.5x is about the max you can get with the low light requirement.

If not you will need to move up to the 550 range with a olympus epl-1, it is a EVIL camera. That shoots very good 720hd video and performs well upto 2000 iso. But like a dslr, you can change lenses also. But the kit only give you a 3.5x zoom lens.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:37 PM   #3

oceangurl-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

The Panasonic ZS7 seems to have the best combination of still and HD video capabilities. Amazon and B&H Photo and Video have it on sale for $306+shipping. You might want to take a look at the ZS7. It has gotten better reviews than the Sony HX5 and the Canon SX-210.

If GPS is not important to you, Costco has the ZS6 on sale at $239.00. It is the ZS7 essentially without the GPS.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 7, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:42 PM   #4

The zs7 and the other point and shoot are not good in low light out of flash range
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the input, I am researching into Panasonic cameras now. For the HD video, I am starting to lean towards wanting the full 1080p with low light and zoom function during video recording capabilities. Is there a model that would have all this plus good photo quality (even if slightly out of my budget)?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:52 PM   #6

Oceangurl-

Take a look at the new Canon SD-4000. It has a number of HD video improvements as well as a F 2.0 lens and a CMOS imager, but much less zoom.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:57 PM   #7

The sd 4000 will not give you 1080p HD, and the low light is not as good as the s90, g11 or the panny lx3. As it has a smaller sensor, but has a brighter lens then most other point and shoots.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:29 PM   #8

shoturtle: The LX3 is a nice looking little camera, with great feature set from what I read - however it is missing zoom capability during video. I'm often filming my 2year old running off, so I'm thinking I would miss having zoom like I do now with my S3. I'm a bit spoiled my the 12x zoom now!

Is the s90 the older model of sx210?

mtclimber: It looks like the sd 4000 is 720p video, not full HD. I'd prefer the sx210 to the elph model, but it seems neither would match my S3 in photo quality.

Still looking for the closest fit! Thanks again for the replies.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:36 PM   #9

The s90 is a complete different bread of camera, the s90 has a larger sensor then the sx210 and the f2.0 lens, that gives it better low light ability at 1600iso.

The big problem is that none of the longer zoom camera has a 1/1.6 sensor, but rather a 1/2.23 sensor. So even though they say they can shoot at 3200iso. They are really only good upto 800iso. Anything after that, will require noise reduction software and lost of details. Because of the larger sensor the G11, s90 and lx3 are the better image quality cameras in the point and shoot world. The lx4 should be out about xmas time if panasonic keeps to their time table. It should have a zoom in HD, but I doubt it will get to much more reach.

PS,

just to clarifide the canon g11 and s90 do not shoot HD, just incase you misunderstood my earlier post. The LX3 is the only large sensor point and shoot that shoots HD and good in low light.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 8, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:37 PM   #10

Oceangurl-

Well, it looks like the Canon SX-210 comes the closest, followed by the SD-4000, but the SD-4000 fails on low light capabilities. So it is a compromise situation.

Sarah Joyce