Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj76 View Post
Right now I am thinking of maybe getting a small one for now (like the S90 perhaps, or maybe something similar with more zoom and HD video)
Unfortunately, there is nothing similar with more zoom and HD video. That's the trade-off and why I ended up with ZS7. Now if you can live with half that - HD video but still no more zoom - the Panasonic LX3 is worth a look.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Unfortunately, there is nothing similar with more zoom and HD video. That's the trade-off and why I ended up with ZS7. Now if you can live with half that - HD video but still no more zoom - the Panasonic LX3 is worth a look.

What do you mean that is why you ended up with the ZS7? That looks like it is small, has good zoom and HD. What is the trade off? Is the picture quality not as good, or what? That seems like a good choice.
dj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 3:29 PM   #13

Quote:
What do you mean that is why you ended up with the ZS7? That looks like it is small, has good zoom and HD. What is the trade off? Is the picture quality not as good, or what? That seems like a good choice.
Oh I love the ZS7 and I think it's a great pocket superzoom. However, its sensor is much smaller than the one on the S90 and as such, the low-light capability just isn't there. Something always has to be sacrificed as they simply don't make a camera that has it all.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 3:50 PM   #14

Ok that makes sense. I figured I would have to sacrifice low light performance with a small cam, but at least that would always be with me. Do you feel that camera is fast? I mean I know if you were indoors I am sure it would take longer to focus, but if you are in good light, can you flip the power on and take a shot pretty quickly, or do you feel you miss some shots with it?
dj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Ok that makes sense. I figured I would have to sacrifice low light performance with a small cam, but at least that would always be with me. Do you feel that camera is fast? I mean I know if you were indoors I am sure it would take longer to focus, but if you are in good light, can you flip the power on and take a shot pretty quickly, or do you feel you miss some shots with it?
You can turn the camera on and take a shot quite quickly. The focus is plenty quick enough. Actually, the focus is even pretty quick in low-lighting.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:43 PM   #16

I am actually in the same boat. I posted here a few months ago and still haven't made a decision! But I did notice that ZS6 in my latest Costco coupon book which would make it around $240. Maybe I will get that for now and that should suit most of my needs without putting out a ton of money now. I was on the verge of buying the T1i and just using my other small P&S to have with me all the time, but I should probably update the camera that will get used the most. Then maybe I will still get the DSLR later down the road. Especially since I still need a camcorder before my baby is born, that might hurt a little less to buy a camera in the $200-300 range rather than the $800-1000 range for the DSLR!
JM667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:00 PM   #17

JM667-

That is a good decision. The Panasonic ZS6 is a pretty nice camera. It is great outdoors, but indoors, it suffers a bit from a weak built-in flash unit. The existing flash unit has a Flash Range of just 6 to 8 feet. Flash Range is the distance, measured in feet from the camera to your subject.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:16 PM   #18

Just out of curiosity, how does that 6-8 foot flash range compare to a little higher end compact, like S90? Whats the range on something like that?
JM667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM667 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how does that 6-8 foot flash range compare to a little higher end compact, like S90? Whats the range on something like that?
I think the flash becomes less relevant with the S90 as it is capable of more without the flash. You do lose the zoom and HD video though.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:22 AM   #20

JM667-

The Flash Range on the canon S-90 is 10 to 12 feet.

Sarah joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote