Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:25 PM   #11

A DSLR will give you much better results then the FZ35, especially when the lighting is not great. There is no question about that. It will certain give you better depth of field results then FZ in good lighting.

The DSLR with all the lens option, is the product line for more photography growth.

But it is impossible to get one perfect camera. I have a dslr, an EVIL camera, and 2 point and shoots.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 10, 2010 at 8:31 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:15 PM   #12

Alicia-

Are the M-42 lens valuable enough that the must be preserved and used? It would seem that a good entry level DSLR would give you the increased image quality under a variety of conditions that you desire.

While I also own a Panasonic FZ-35, I also shoot with DSLR cameras as well. And yes, even an entry level DSLR will produce better image quality under a variety of lighting conditions.

The DSLRs have the advantage because they have much larger (roughly 15 to 20X the size) imagers than P+S cameras like the FZ-35. That is a substantial advantage. The downside is that DSLR camera don't do as much in camera processing of the images. So with a DSLR expect to do some photo editing.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 11, 2010 at 4:43 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 3:09 PM   #13

I had an FZ30 for a month and sold it at a loss to get a Pentax dSLR because I was disappointed with the results. Yes, an entry level dSLR is capable of giving you significantly better results (but its also easier to get things really wrong, too). Since you are familiar with film slr cameras you shouldn't have that much trouble with much of the transition. I do a lot of landscapes and macro and am still shooting with a Pentax dSLR (I sold my first one and am now shooting with the K7).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:00 PM   #14

well with a dslr, you get to use the kit lenses for convenience, and get a m42 adapter. And you can play with the older lenses when you want to. Some of those older lenses are very very good. The older vivtar series 1 and some of the german lenses are exceptional. That is one more plus in getting a dslr vs a megazoom like the FZ. Also it is not that much more for a pentax k-x with just one kit lens. 520 dollars right now at adorama, vs 340-370 for a FZ 35.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
... The older vivtar series 1 ... are exceptional. ...
Some of those Vivitar Series 1 lenses were very good, but some were not. Each year, Vivitar selected the lowest bidder to make them, and some were better than others.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:40 PM   #16

Not the ones made back in the 80's, allot of them were way better then the oem lenses. The more modern ones do get crappy.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 8:44 PM   #17

About my lenses- no, I'm not so sure they're worth working with. I expect I would have to shell out for modern lenses within pretty short order. Here's what I have:
Toshiba 49 mm S L39-3
Asahi Super Takumar 1:35/28 and 1:1.4/50
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Not the ones made back in the 80's, allot of them were way better then the oem lenses. The more modern ones do get crappy.
Even back then, some of them were superb, but some of them were mediocre, and you really couldn't tell the difference, without putting it through it's paces. For instance, there were 8 different versions of the Vivitar Series 1 70-210. A few were outstanding, but some were unremarkable.

See:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/856452/0#8010361
http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

And the Series 1 70-210 was one of their premier lenses, along with their 90-180/4.5 and 105/2.5 macro. Some of the other Series 1 lenses were actually pretty bad.

Last edited by TCav; Jun 11, 2010 at 9:22 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:12 AM   #19

I don't know about your Toshiba, but the Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 has a good reputation. I don't have any M42 lenses because they always seemed to me more work than I wanted to deal with but I've seen others post pictures with the Tak 50 that were very good. I have a number of manual K-mount lenses and enjoy using them. However, I'm not sure I'm willing to give up having the camera be able to stop down the lens. With the M42 lenses you either have to focus and then set the aperture/stop down the lens or try to focus through a possibly dark viewfinder if you are using a small aperture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote