Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:26 PM   #1

Default good dSLR choices for M42 lens mount?

I have a few lenses for an older (OLD) slr camera, I've been reading that I'd be able to use them with some dSLR cameras with an M42 lens adaptor. This seems like it may be a good way to break into the dSLR hobby, can anybody recommend a camera body I might look at? OTOH, I know there must be many good options, so mb I should just start with models to avoid.. Any expertise you could lend would be appreciated.
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:49 PM   #2

canon and pentax are popular with m42 mounts. There are sample of m42 lenses with the pentax in the pentax forums.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:56 PM   #3

thanks, heading over there now.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:58 PM   #4

Bigdawg post allot of m42 lens shots on the pentax body, think you can check the lens and the dslr forums.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-lenses-87/

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...msung-dslr-73/

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 8, 2010 at 5:01 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:48 PM   #5

I'd like to point out that M42 lenses don't AF or AE, so using them on an AE/AF body is NOT a good way to get broken in.

There are adapters to mount M42 lenses on any camera body, so I suggest you get a camera that otherwise suits your needs, and then get the M42 adapter. Don't base your camera selection on the M42 lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:45 PM   #6

That's good advice, thank you. Looks like I have a lot of ground to cover, and just when I thought I was exhausting options (researching P&S cameras.) I might be on the verge of getting my film SLR (Pentax Spotmatic) reconditioned for use so I can at least start shooting.. I hope to better my presently poor understanding of all the different variables in photographing. Hopefully I can find a good film-to-digital service...
Old Jun 9, 2010, 5:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_rock View Post
That's good advice, thank you. Looks like I have a lot of ground to cover, and just when I thought I was exhausting options (researching P&S cameras.) I might be on the verge of getting my film SLR (Pentax Spotmatic) reconditioned for use so I can at least start shooting.. I hope to better my presently poor understanding of all the different variables in photographing. Hopefully I can find a good film-to-digital service...
The "digital" service won't be a problem, but finding a "film" service may be tough.

Perhaps you can start over. What do you want to photograph?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:15 PM   #8

Well, for starters I'm hoping to do portraits of my child in various settings, but on a more ongoing basis I enjoy taking pictures of natural scenery. Sooo.. not so many film developers around anymore then?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Well, for starters I'm hoping to do portraits of my child in various settings, but on a more ongoing basis I enjoy taking pictures of natural scenery.
You can do that with almost an dSLR. But if your child participates in any sports, Canon is a better choice, plus they have a good selection of OEM and third party portrait and wide angle zoom lenses.

Quote:
Sooo.. not so many film developers around anymore then?
No. Not many.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:19 PM   #10

I do have a lot of confidence in the Canon brand at the prosumer level, based on owning an S3 for the last 3.5 yrs. I'm a little torn at this point, I've been seeing so many wonderful snapshots off the Panasonic FZ35. The price and convenience is hard to beat. I just need someone to tell me that a DSLR will put the FZ35 to shame, perhaps. It's probably more of a "one of each" situation tho, eh? It sort of begs the question, which product line has the potential for more advancement in the short term (entry level DSLR or super-zoom shooters) --in other words, which is more future proof? Thanks for your thoughts.