Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:35 PM   #1

Default Lenses? difference?

I will be buying an Olympus E-P2 and I am trying to figure out what lenses I need. The problem is is that I don't know what the millimeter range means (40mm - 150mm) and I don't know what the difference is in the focal number, or rather I don't know what it means for me. I know that F2.0 is refering to the size of the aperature and that deals with how much light let in but I don't know the difference between a lense thats F2.8 - F3.5 and one thats F4.0 - F5.6 and what its going to do to the photo.

I want lenses for lanscape, portraite, nature, and sport photography.Here are the lenses that I am considering right now for that perpouse:

M.Zuiko Digital ED 17mm F2.8 (one of the kit lense options) - because its small and I would be able to carry the camera in a pocket when I didn't want to take all my gear.

M. Zuiko Digital ED 14mm - 42mm F3.5 - F5.6 (the one with the big diaphram) - because it still small and easy to transport but will enable zoom.

M. Zuiko Digital ED 70mm - 300mm F4.0 - F5.6 - I think judging from the range of the mm numbers it means that this lense will give me a greater zoom and will be good for nature but do I want this lense or the next one?

M. Zuiko Digital ED 40mm - 150mm F4.0 - F5.6 - this lense should have a greater zoom, not as much as the 70 - 300, and could be good for nature and portraite photography and maybe even sports. But do I want to sacrifice zoom for the other attributes of this lense?

All of my information has come from the Olympus website lense selector.
(http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...sSelector_chip)

Thank you for bearing with me for this long and dealing with my lack of spelling knowlege. Any info or segestions you may have will be greatly appriciated as I obviously know nothing about lenses. I just know I want the E-P2.
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:07 PM   #2

trihame-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Well let's begin with the standard Olympus 4/3 lenses. To use those lenses on an EPL-1 you will need an adapter. You can use wither the Panasonic adapter (DMW-MA1) or the Olympus adapter.

There are also both Panasonic and Olympus brand m4/3 lenses. Either brand will work on the the EPL-1 camera without an adapter.

Now let's take a look at focal lengths: the focal length of any zoom lens is indicated by a series of numbers, such as 40-150mm. because the EPL-1 has a multiplier of 2X, in 35mm terms, that 40-150mm lens is equal to a 80mm to 300mm lens.

For portraits the ideal focal length is between 70 to 100mm in 35mm terms. Therefore, the 40-150mm lens which zooms from 80 to 300mm, in 35mm terms would be quite usable for portraits.

For nature and sport photography it would seem that a higher focal length would be quite usable. Therefore, the 40-150mm lens, which in 35mm terms equates to 80mm to 300mm would also be quite usable for nature and sport photography.

In contrast, landscape shots look better with a wide angle setting. There it would be best to use the EPL-1 kit lens the Olympus 14-42mm. That equate to in 35mm terms, to, again using the 2X multiplier, to 28mm to 84mm. So, using the kit lens at the wide angle position, or at 14mm which equates to 28mm in 35mm terms will take a nice landscape photo.

I hope this helps.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:26 PM   #3

I suggest you PM Hards80. He's one of the moderators and a fantastic photog who uses one of the PEN cameras. I think you'll find it does a good job at many things, but sports will not be one of them. The focus system is not designed for that type of photography.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:55 PM   #4

So whats the difference between the 40-150mm and the 70-300mm. Just zoom?

So if the lense was set at 40mm (40-150mm) the camera would be at its widest angle as in how much you can see from left to right?
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:01 PM   #5

All the lenses you mention have been tested by slrGear. You can read about them at: http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php These guys do a very nice job of running a lens through its paces and they list alternatives for each of the lenses they review at the end of the test, with a short description of why they might prefer each of the alternatives. This is a good site to get to know when you are agonizing over which lens to get. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 3:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihame View Post
So whats the difference between the 40-150mm and the 70-300mm. Just zoom?
For the most part, yes. Where their ranges overlap (70mm to 150mm) they will have the same angle of view, but the 40-150mm will have the smaller maximum aperture. The shorter lens will be at or near it's maximum aperture of f/5.6, while the longer lens will be at or near is maximum aperture of f/4.0. For that reason, you would be able to use slightly faster shutter speeds with the longer lens, all other things being equal.

Quote:
So if the lense was set at 40mm (40-150mm) the camera would be at its widest angle as in how much you can see from left to right?
Correct.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 3:39 PM   #7

Quote:
M. Zuiko Digital ED 40mm - 150mm F4.0 - F5.6 - this lense should have a greater zoom, not as much as the 70 - 300, and could be good for nature and portraite photography and maybe even sports. (Emphasis mine. -TCav)
I'd like to point out that the system isn't particularly good for shooting sports/action. It doesn't seem like it would be a big part of what you want to shoot, but if it is, you might want to look elsewhere.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:00 PM   #8

I have a epl-1, and you will be better served with getting the panasonic 45-200mm. It is a very fast focusing lens. And gives you a better reach then the olympus m zuiko 40-150mm.

For landscape shooting, the kit lens 14-42mm does a very good job. If you need wider angle to get large building into the frame the 9-18mm will be a good choice.

I would not get the kit with the 17mm 2.8 but the one with the 14-42mm zoom instead. The panasonic 20mm 1.7 is a better pancake for low light shooting.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:02 PM   #9

PS

Not sure if you know, but with micro 4/3 cameras, all micro 4/3 lenses will work on any brand. Olympus and Panasonic will work on the EP-2. Also sigma has sign onto micro 4/3 so they may have micro 4/3 format lenses also.

Also with the Pen's you can get a micro 4/3 to 4/3 adapter and use all the olympus dslr lenses with full features.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:05 PM   #10

Here is a tread I started.

There are samples of the the panasonic 20mm 1.7, the olympus 14.42mm, and the panasonic 45-200mm lens.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...ression-3.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 9, 2010 at 4:21 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote