Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 9, 2010, 3:26 PM   #1

Default Panasonic TZ7 or Fuji F70 EXR?

Hello all

I am a newbie and novice photographer (SLRs at college) We recently lost our Fuji F20 whilst on holiday and I'm looking for something (point & shoot) to replace it. I am only looking to spend around 200 but would like a camera that is easy to use and suitable for most occasions. I personally like the look of the F70 (and don't mind altering the settings to get the best results as suggested in your informative thread on this camera) but am worried that this may be a little too complicated if my husband wants to use it (no photographic course experience). I would mainly be using it for shots of my children, holiday snaps, parties etc... so basically a good all rounder please - any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

P.S. movie capture not a big issue as I have a video camera.
Boofadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:33 PM   #2

Well that's equal to $290 USD currently which would put you in range (or nearly) to every Panasonic ZR and ZS series camera. Those are always worth considering. The Fuji F70EXR is a good cam but as you said, it requires some fiddling so not the best choice for someone who just wants to point and shoot.

What are your needs as far as zoom? There's always a big difference between a 5x or lower and 10x or higher in terms of features. You usually have to give up something to get the zoom. How small of a camera are you looking for? Pocket? Small bag?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 5:47 PM   #3

Small bag would be fine - as for zoom I'm not really sure, I don't need a huge zoom so I am open to suggestions. One thing that is worrying me slightly with the Panasonic range is I have found lots of complaints regarding the display breaking easily with careful use - does anyone know if this is a genuine fault with these cameras? I would be using a quality case but some suggest the screen is very brittle which puts me off a bit
Thanks again
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:55 PM   #4

boofadog-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The cracked LCD thing has gotten a lot of play on Amazon, but in truth, I have owned a half dozen Panasonic P+S cameras and never experienced a single cracked LCD screen. I teach digital camera and therefore, speak to many students as well. Not one Panasonic user has reported as cracked LCD screens. The Panasonic P+S cameras are a good choice, just be aware that most have weak built-in flash units.

I would pass on the Fuji F-70 EXR if this is going to be a shared camera. There are lots of good choice out there such as the Canon SD-940, SD-1200, the new SD-4000, the Casio EX-Z2000, the Canon SX-120 or SX-200, to mention a few highly rated cameras.

Best of luck in your search. We are here to help you, just ask away.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:02 AM   #5

The cracked LCD thing is very much exaggerated. That was reported with the ZS3 yet the ZS3 was last year's best selling P&S and it still highly sought after. Panasonic was also rated the most reliable brand recently ... again. If that doesn't convince you, I dropped my ZS7 LCD side down onto a rocky hiking trail the first week I had it - no damage at all. Meanwhile I have a Canon SD870 with a cracked LCD.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:02 AM   #6

Thanks FiveO & mtclimber
You've both eased my worries about the Panasonic ZS3/TZ7 - it can get a little hard to tell exactly how big a problem something is when looking at the internet - I think I will take a look in store at the ZS3/TZ7 and the Canon SX200 - is the pop up flash really annoying?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:06 AM   #7

Just had a peek at the SD400/IXUS 300HS - that looks interesting too if a little pricey - it would put me into buying an S90 territory

Last edited by Boofadog; Jun 10, 2010 at 5:16 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:16 AM   #8

boofadog-

I agree the SD-4000 is designed for a market that wants more automation and innovative features. However, when compared to the S-90, if HD video is important to you, it is a step ahead.

The Canon SX-200 is a good camera with two faults. You cannot zoom with the HD video, and the pop-up flash pops up each time the camera is powered up whether it is needed or not. Yes, you soon develop a work around for it. However, for some users that becomes very annoying.

On the Canon SX-210, the flash also pops up but, now it can be manually stowed.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:58 AM   #9

Saw a SX210 today - I'm really not sure I like the pop up flash - it falls just where I want to place my fingers. I did shut it by hand but can this really be good for the mechanism? I'm not so sure. Saw some Fuji's there but not the F70 - I must admit I like the styling and the layout is familiar having owned the F20 - would this camera be OK if set to M (5mp) at all times on auto so my husband could use it? We wouldn't be printing anywhere over A4 size.
If that is still a complicated option then I think I'm leaning towards the TZ7 (had a little test of TZ9 in the shop and was impressed by that) Any thoughts?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:20 PM   #10

boofadog-

I am sorry to say that the FujiF-70EXR does not perform well at all in Auto. If you are going to use Auto, there are much better cameras.

The Canon SD-4000, the SD-940, the A-3100, Panasonic ZS5(TZ-8) and ZS7 (TZ-10) and even the low price Kodak Z-915 (it acts very much like your old H-20 with is higher ISO performance) is a very able performer in Auto.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 10, 2010 at 12:22 PM.