Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Just something else to consider, a good used camera will still run you 300 dollars and 400 for a more current model. But will most likely not perform as well as the pentax or the epl-1. Pentax good to 3200iso, workable at 6400 and 12800iso. EPL-1 good to 2000iso workable upto 3200iso. They have better AF systems then say the d40 or older dslr's. They also have more advance imagers. So is the 150-250 dollar cost savings a good trade off to the higher performance levels? And the very short warranty period of 30 days?
That's a good point. Sometimes it's easy to get "stuck in the forest" when thinking about this stuff. At the end of the day, the extra money won't amount to much if I'm happy and keep the camera for a while.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:42 PM   #12

One possible idea is to hedge your bets. Buy one of the smaller Olympus 4/3 DSLRs, and later if you decide to get a micro 4/3 camera, you already have lenses that will work with the newer camera (via an adapter)
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer251 View Post
That's a good point. Sometimes it's easy to get "stuck in the forest" when thinking about this stuff. At the end of the day, the extra money won't amount to much if I'm happy and keep the camera for a while.

It often is easy to lose site of things when you are overwhelm by info. I then to like to step back at times. And look at the map on where I want to go, and it gets me back on course.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:22 PM   #14

Larry-

Let's use my D-40 as an example. The body cost $200.00. The Nikon 18-55mm VR lens is available for around $90.00 and a Nikon 55-200mm lens can be had for around $160.00. So that is a total investment of $450.00 and you have 2 lenses, both with VR that can cover a focal length (in 35mm terms) of 28mm to 300mm. So that is pretty good coverage for about the same that you might pay for a Nikon D-3000 with just the Nikon 18-55mmVR lens.

As I mentioned previously, DSLR cameras have continued to come down in price. If you want to go with a new Sony A-230, it is available for less than $400.00. The Nikon D-3000 is around $450 with kit lens. The Canon XS is also around $450.00 with kit lens. The highly rated Pentax Kx model with kit lens is now below $500.00. The Olympus E-620 with kit lens is around $540.00.

So all you have to do is to make a choice. Buying new has the advantage of a 1year camera manufacturer's guarantee, of course, which should not be overlooked.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote