Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:09 AM   #21

Sony offers $50 instant rebate on TX5, although, they do it for a week, then stop for couple and do it again. I picked up TX5 for $300 which is a great price given the capability and the features of the camera. I also have Panasonic ZS6 and indoor pictures are better on the Sony TX5.

I purchased screen protector for the TX5 and do NOT plan on buying any case for it as most of the cases make this slim little beauty quite fat. Besides, this is supposed to be rugged camera and it better handle the grueling conditions of my pocket :-) Given that TX5 it is take anywhere type of camera and has almost all the features of TX7 and plus it is cheaper than TX7, there is really no contest between the two.

Watch the TX5 PMA official announcement on the youtube and you will be sold on it.
You would get a chuckle from the Psyco and the Jaw background music :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDr-w...eature=related

- Vikas
sontakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 5:26 PM   #22

I just bought the TX5
Bought if off Amazon for 256 [less the 60 vouchers I already had] so under 200 with 1st class delivery.
Can't wait for it to arrive!

I also have bought the screen protectors.
not sure about the case - might get one for travel purposes as I am nervous about damaging the screen in transit
wigwam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwam12 View Post
I just bought the TX5
Bought if off Amazon for 256 [less the 60 vouchers I already had] so under 200 with 1st class delivery.
Can't wait for it to arrive!

I also have bought the screen protectors.
not sure about the case - might get one for travel purposes as I am nervous about damaging the screen in transit
Hi wigwam,

I used to do that. Buy a screen protector, a spare battery and a case when I ordered a camera. But that was about 4-5 years ago. Now, with the megapixel race on small sensors, I don't buy any accessories until I try the camera just in case I'm compelled to return the camera because of image quality issues. (Unfortunately I returned the last two pocketable P&S cameras I tried.)

Regarding having a case for immediate travel if you don't buy a case right away, a very quick temporary case can be made using a thick old sock. Turn it inside-out and put your camera inside so there is about 1.5 inches from the opening. Then wrap string or strong thread around the sock at the bottom of the camera. Cut off the excess toe portion. Turn the sock right side out and have an instant case to tide you over. It won't prevent the screen from cracking due excess pressure or impact but will protect it and the camera from scratches.

Best regards,
Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jul 6, 2010 at 6:07 AM. Reason: added "around the sock"
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:49 PM   #24

Congratulations, wigwam-

You got a very good camera at an even better price. Well done! Enjoy your new camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:46 AM   #25

Thanks Both.
Sky I am not going to go for spare batteries until I know I need it [I have so many for my F31fd and never needed them!]
The screen protectors are only a couple of quid on eBay.
Not sure about the case yet as what point buying a super-slim camera just to sling it in a bulky case, but I do worry about that big screen at the back!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 7:02 AM   #26

Just a little feedback about the camera:
bought it in time for a trip to Canada.
I can vouch for its waterproofedness as I took a fair number of pix on the Maid of the Mist and various other places under Niagara Falls

Thankfully I can also vouch for its ruggedness as it had been dropped onto concrete and mountainsides on at least 3 different occasions by the OH and kids Apart from a few small scuffs it looks fine and still works fine.

Image quality and the Backlight Correction/Hand Held Twilight are all superb.
The intelligent Auto is generally good but I would prefer an option similar to the F31 where there is a "mostly" auto mode [suppressing flash, for example and picking the most suitable option without flash].
The indoor flash is very bright!
I like it as I can experiment but the OH doesn't like the quality of some of the pix in auto mode and is loathe to pick other settings.
Battery life is actually better than I would have thought given the screen.

All in all I am very happy with it
Old Aug 5, 2010, 8:49 AM   #27

Thanks very much for the report on your TX5, wigwam-

It sound like it has worked out well for you, and that you have had a lot of fun.

All the best-

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:46 AM   #28

Hi Wigwam,

Sounds like you all had a great time with lots of great pictures for memories. Glad to hear that the TX5 worked well for you.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Buffalo, NY next year with the main purpose to visit Niagara Falls. Any suggestions for:

1. Which months to go when flowers are blooming nicely?
2. What to see around Buffalo and the Niagara Falls areas?
3. Hotels in Buffalo and Niagara Falls areas?

Thanks,
Sky
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:17 AM   #29

ygpm
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwam12 View Post
ygpm
Wigwam,

Thanks very much for your private message. Very helpful.

Sky