Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:48 AM   #1

Default P&S to replace a FujiF31fd?

HI
I have had a FujiF31 for a couple of years and just fancy a refresh really.
It is for a family P&S use mainly. Image quality of my fuji has been fine although admittedly I had been a little underwhelmed by its much-vaunted low-light ability [my fault I am sure!].

Using it as a baseline though [ie everything has to be "at least" as good; good daylight images are taken as read] I am looking for something that is:

1) sleek and slim profile

2) good low light performance. Alot of pix will be indoor/evening/kids events etc so this is important. I was fascinated by the idea of EXR [combining with/without flash shots for a more natural look] but it seems the Fuji 70/80/200 will be rather complicated to use?

3) a good intelligent auto mode and some decent scenes modes to play with [latter mainly for my vanity admittedly!]

4) ideally faster than the Fuji! Waiting for it to write to the xd card after each shot drives me a little bonkers!

So yes I want it all [like everyone else!] but would appreciate some help.

As well as the aforementioned Fuji EXRs I was also looking at the Canon s90 and new Sx210is; the Sony HX5/HX1?; the Panasonic TZ7/10; I understand there are some decent samsungs also?

Before my F31 the only other digital camera I had was the Canon a95 [loved that too] so I am not really au fait with difference between the brands.

Thanks
wigwam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:37 AM   #2

I suggest you take a look at my thread here

I asked the same questions. Sleek and slim depends on how slim you want it... there is compact (Canon S90 or Panasonic TZ7 or TZ10 for example) and ultra-compact (Sony TX7 or Canon SD1400).

Last edited by korna; Jun 10, 2010 at 5:40 AM.
korna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:25 AM   #3

Thanks. I did read your thread.
The Canon Ixus 300 sounds good along with the Sony TX7 but [like you said!] are blooming expensive at the moment. I am getting the impression the Ixus 210 is not as good IQ-wise?
I know nothing about Panasonic or Samsung contenders though
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:34 AM   #4

Professional reviewers say the IXUS 300HS costs too much compared to the competition. I still have to compare its features but it feels a bit too expensive. The low light performance looks really good. The IXUS 210 I'm not sure about. I've read some reviews that are very positive and some with average results. The TX7/TX5 seem to perform better than the IXUS 210.

The TX7 is probably worth its price. It is feature rich, makes good pictures (for a compact) and is very very thin. I'm a bit disappointed with its audio quality. It depends if you are willing to spend the cash for an ultra compact. The canon S90 costs just as much and has a higher IQ.

Panasonic makes some really nice compact cameras. Good reviews and on this forum there are many positive owners. Especially the TZ/ZS series. However the serie is not ultra compact. The ZR1/ZX1 and the ZR3/ZX3 are also nice and more compact.

I have no experience with the Samsungs.

You won't find a perfect camera, there always be some problem. You have to make concessions.

The Canon S90 and TZ10/ZS7 perform very well on IQ. If you can live with their physical size.
(I've also read good things about the Pentax Optio H90 and Panasonic LX3)

Low light will always be a problem on compacts. The small sensors and small lenses just catch less light. Increasing the ISO will increase noise. Noise reduction will reduce sharpness. I see the same problem with my DSLR which has a much larger sensor and lens. So for good low light performance I think the low light designed compacts offer the most. A good flash is also important.

Last edited by korna; Jun 10, 2010 at 7:42 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:10 AM   #5

korna-

I disagree with you concerning the new Canon SD-4000/IXUS 300HS. I think that the pricing is about right for a camera with a F 2.0 lens and a variety of new and inovative features.

The SD-4000 is aimed at the market that wants more automation and high performance. In contrast the S-90 is aimed at the enthusiast market. The S-90 is deficient in the video department, whereas, the Sd-4000 has full HD video, stereo sound and auto focusing features.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:38 AM   #6

Thanks
I think whilst the specs are stunning the Ixus 300 may be a little too expensive
I DO like the Twilight mode of the Sony TX7. It seems to be about the same price as the Panasonic TZ10 as well?

How does the Canon Ixus 120/SD940 stack up in this company?

Last edited by wigwam12; Jun 10, 2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:43 AM   #7

mtclimber-

When you put it like that you might be right Sarah. I still have to give it a closer look. I'm still wondering if it can compete with the TX7. In terms of audio quality the SD4000/IXUS300HS is ahead.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:52 AM   #8

Am I correct in assuming the only real differences between the Sony TX7 and TX5 are the latter has a 1/2" smaller LCD, "only" 720p vs 1080p video and mono sound?
For that, coupled with more rugged/waterproof and 50 cheaper it would be more tempting
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:04 PM   #9

You are correct and the TX7 has more pixels on the LCD 921.600 vs 230.400
A larger screen will be more handy for the touch interface so thats a plus for the TX7
If you don't care about the video then I agree the ruggedness of the TX5 wins

The IXUS120/SD940 is the follow up of the IXUS100/SD780. I got this from Steve's review. The review is positive. He advices not to use ISO above 400. A higher ISO (with little noise) is better for low light conditions. So my guess is that the IXUS120 performs less good in low light than other more expensive models we discussed. But if anyone has experience I would be glad to hear!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:09 PM   #10

Thanks. I guess [wrt the Canon Ixus 120] it performs less well in low light than my current F31