Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:32 AM   #1

Default Help - HS10 / FZ35 / HX1

Hi,

I have been wanting to buy a better camera for a long time (currently have a casio exilim about 4 years old). I want to invest in a better quality camera and to be able to take better quality photos; but just cannot afford to go into the DSLR range, nor do I think I would ever have the time to truly invest in learning all there is to know. Certainly I do not have the funds to buy multiple lenses.

So after researching I have decided to buy a high quality P&S / bridge camera. I want to be able to take good quality photos for landscapes / buildings / skylines / people i.e. when on holiday, hopefully to the quality so I will be able to print and frame them. I also think it would be good to get a camera with a good zoom so that I have versatility a bit like if i had a DSLR.

I have read about the HX1 and that sounds good (have also picked it up in the shop and it feels nice). Then I read on here about the FZ35 or 38 (?) which some people feel has better quality images, but less zoom. Lastly, I am also thinking about the HS10 - though some of the forums I have looked at seem to be complainning that the photos are not very good...

So I am stuck - please could I have some advice on which camera would be best out of these three cameras. Also, are there any other cameras that are better than these?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
whichcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichcamera View Post
Hi,

I have been wanting to buy a better camera for a long time (currently have a casio exilim about 4 years old). I want to invest in a better quality camera and to be able to take better quality photos; but just cannot afford to go into the DSLR range, nor do I think I would ever have the time to truly invest in learning all there is to know. Certainly I do not have the funds to buy multiple lenses.

So after researching I have decided to buy a high quality P&S / bridge camera. I want to be able to take good quality photos for landscapes / buildings / skylines / people i.e. when on holiday, hopefully to the quality so I will be able to print and frame them. I also think it would be good to get a camera with a good zoom so that I have versatility a bit like if i had a DSLR.

I have read about the HX1 and that sounds good (have also picked it up in the shop and it feels nice). Then I read on here about the FZ35 or 38 (?) which some people feel has better quality images, but less zoom. Lastly, I am also thinking about the HS10 - though some of the forums I have looked at seem to be complainning that the photos are not very good...

So I am stuck - please could I have some advice on which camera would be best out of these three cameras. Also, are there any other cameras that are better than these?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
What do YOU think of the photos produced by the cameras you've named? If YOU like the image quality, THAT'S what counts. You're not buying a camera to please others' tastes. You're buying it to suit YOU. People are going to find fault with ANY camera. Why? Because there is no such thing as a perfect camera. The perfect camera is the one you take with you AND USE. Go to a local camera store and HOLD them. If it feels natural in your hand and you like the feature set and the way it performs, that's the one. Opinions are like butts -- everybody has one.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:52 AM   #3

which camera-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Gary has already provided you with some good information. I have owned all three of the cameras that you have listed. The Fuji HS-10 is a rather new camera and an excellent performer. It offers the new technologhy.

The Panasonic FZ-35 is also a very good camera and well worth serious consideration. The FZ-35 is full featured, user friendly, and offera a lot for the price. However, it is due to be replaced this summer. Therefore, you may want to factor that issue into your decision.

The Sony HX-1 has a number of very innovative features. It is not quite as good as the FZ-35 and the HS-10, but it too is scheduled for replacement this summer. So, this might be a time to wait a bit to see what new technologhy emerges.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:39 AM   #4

Thank you for the advice. However, where can I find photos to compare? i suppose I was hoping for a little more detailed information on how they compare to each other.

Thanks.
whichcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:28 PM   #5

whichcamera-

The Fuji P+S folder has many HS-10 photo samples.

The Panasonic P+S folder has many FZ-35 photo samples.

The Sony P+S folder has HX-1 photo samples.

And of course your specific questions are always welcome on any camera. But we cannot read your mind.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:05 AM   #6

I think you can visit some online shops and find the model you want then compare with each other ,both on feature and price.
cristina yang is offline   Reply With Quote