Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:55 AM   #1

Default Fujifilm F70EXR vs Casio EX-FH100

Hi everybody, i'm new to this forum and a typical italian with english problems .

I'm searching for a good compact digicam to replace a Canon A630 (and a still good but cumbersome Minolta S414) and to support an entry level DSRL.

I need a all-around pocketable camera, with decent image quality in both good and low light condition, some manual controls to play with, and versatile zoom.

I want to use it both in open spaces and in inner spaces (maybe with moving subject, like dancer).

I've selected this two digicam in the large market offert, for many reason.

The F70EXR has a big sensor (1/2'') and low pixel density (EXR mode shots at 5Mpx), good build quality, effecive EXR mode for low light and DR, is the smallest compact zoom camera in the market and is affordable.

The FH100 has a CMOS sensor, long battery life, the widest lens in the category (24mm), decent lens with low chromatic aberrations and something that i cannot find even in my DSRL, the high speed modes. In exchange, the image quality seems to be worst than the F70EXR, with some noise even at ISO200.

What camera should i buy? The feature-packed Casio can satisfy the need of an average image quality in low light condition or should i see at the more conventional but incisive Fujifilm?

Or are there other cameras that could better fit my need?

Thank you!
Dagobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:43 AM   #2

dagobert-

You might want to check-out our Fuji P+S folder as there are some excellent posts there regarding the F-70EXR camera. Uas the features nless you want to make multiple small manual changes for every photo you will not be able to get the best image quality from the F-70EXR. And for what it might be worth, the imager size in the F70EXR is just average. You will find much larger imagers in the Canon S-90 and the G-11.

The Casio FH100 gets good reviews but it is not a widely popular camera. If it has the features you desire, especially the multi image/photo feature, that is great

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:07 AM   #3

Have you checked out the Olympus PEN series cameras? The E-PL1 is kind to your pocketbook and you are able to change lenses. If you want to put it in your pocket its small enough to do that, granted you would have to use a lense like the Panasonic 20mm pancake lense, in one pocket and you could carry maybe a larger lense in the other pocket. The camera takes awesome pictures and is able to take HD video. Also the art filters, like diorama (I don't remember if that is the correct spelling) wich makes everything look like a little toy model, to play with. Anyway, everyone I have talked to sofar says that this camera does well in low light.
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:04 PM   #4

Default I have the F72EXR

I have the F72EXR, which is really the same as the F70EXR. It's good in low light. It has lots of settings but to me it seems more complicated than most of its competitors. The upside is that if you take the time to learn the settings, you can take some very nice pictures.
I also have the Casio FH20, which is a full sized superzoom with many of the same high speed capabilities as the FH100. It is great for pictures of daytime sports competitions, especially track and field (aka athletics), baseball, and soccer. It isn't so great for nighttime sports because of noise in images from ISO 400 up. If you want the superfast burst mode, I don't think anyone can compete with the Casio's at this time. If you want low light images in a compact point and shoot, Fujis are probably still the best.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Uas the features nless you want to make multiple small manual changes for every photo you will not be able to get the best image quality from the F-70EXR.
I'm not worried about the manual changes and setting: i'm most worried about full automatic camera, because i often take pictures in problematic light condition.

Quote:
And for what it might be worth, the imager size in the F70EXR is just average. You will find much larger imagers in the Canon S-90 and the G-11.
Yes, but the F70EXR imager is still a bit larger than the other compact superzoom digicam (1/2'' vs the classic 1/2.3''). It's not that much: the F200EXR has a 1/6'' sensor that is significantly bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihame View Post
Have you checked out the Olympus PEN series cameras? The E-PL1 is kind to your pocketbook and you are able to change lenses. If you want to put it in your pocket its small enough to do that, granted you would have to use a lense like the Panasonic 20mm pancake lense, in one pocket and you could carry maybe a larger lense in the other pocket.
Now i'm searching for an all-round compact camera to always carry on with me. The EVIL cameras are very interesting, but expensive and not so compact for my current needs. However thank you for the advise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo View Post
I have the F72EXR, which is really the same as the F70EXR. It's good in low light. It has lots of settings but to me it seems more complicated than most of its competitors. The upside is that if you take the time to learn the settings, you can take some very nice pictures.

I also have the Casio FH20, which is a full sized superzoom with many of the same high speed capabilities as the FH100. It is great for pictures of daytime sports competitions, especially track and field (aka athletics), baseball, and soccer. It isn't so great for nighttime sports because of noise in images from ISO 400 up.

If you want the superfast burst mode, I don't think anyone can compete with the Casio's at this time. If you want low light images in a compact point and shoot, Fujis are probably still the best.
You're the perfect adviser, having both the camera i'm considering! Thank you for the opinions
Dagobert is offline   Reply With Quote