Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:19 PM   #11
Administrator

Sony's entry level lineup does leave something to be desired, depending on what you're looking for.

If you're looking for an inexpensive model, check out the Sony A230 (which is one of the lowest priced dSLR models you can buy right now in most areas). It would give you a Sony 10MP CCD sensor (like the Nikon D3000 you're looking at).

But, make sure to try one in a store to make sure you're OK with it's ergonomics, grip design, etc.; as some users don't like a camera as small as that one (although some users prefer a smaller and lighter model). It's Sony's smallest and lightest dSLR.

If you can move up in budget allocated, I'd suggest looking at the A450, A500, or A550 models. They're all much better compared to any of the lower priced models in the Sony lineup (as they'll have better sensors, better performance and more features). The A450 and A550 use a Sony 14MP CMOS sensor, and the A500 uses a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor (and both sensor types are better high ISO speed performers compared to the Sony 10MP or 14MP CCD sensors).

Sony also announced some new models recently, including the 14MP Sony A290 (using a 14MP CCD versus CMOS Sensor). It should start shipping next month. But, again, I'd go with the A450, A500 or A550 if budget permits. They're better cameras with more features, better battery life and better high ISO speed performance than you'd get with models using a Sony 10MP or 14MP CCD sensor.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterasmit View Post
Hi,
it seems sony is having more impressive machines that professionals like them.

please tell me 2-3 sony's entry lvl dslr with lens kit.

Thanks in advance.
Sony's entry level is not that great, you really need to move up to their advance level to get a camera that is on par with canon, nikon, olympus and pentax.

The e520 is a very basic entry dslr, but you may want to serious consider moving up to the e620. It has a more advance sensor.

The d3000 again a very basic entry level dslr.

The pentax does out perform all of them in low light, and it an excellent camera. The AA battery is really not an issue if you use good quality AA batteries, like sanyo's eneloops. I shoot the K-x off and on, as I recommend it to my brother who is new to dslr, and wanted a good bang for the buck camera. And the pentax k-x can hold it's own against my T1i. And with the eneloop batteries, he actually gets more shots with his 4 AA then I get with my canon with the lithium. about 700 vs my 450 shots on a single charge. The key with AA is to get a good charger that charges each batter individually.

If I were to pick a beginner dslr, the pentax k-x and the olympus e620 would be my top 2 picks. I am not to much of a fan of the sony's A3xx line up. I like the higher end A5xx though.

The E620 was 2009's tipa best entry level dslr, and the pentax k-x is 2010's tipa best entry level dslr. They are really excellent camera to be awarded the best in their class by tipa.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 10, 2010 at 3:34 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:04 PM   #13

From among the Nikon D3000, the Olympus E-620 and the Sony A230, DXOMark.com gives the Sony the highest score:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng.../(brand3)/Sony
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:19 PM   #14

No one is doubting that sony makes some excellent senors, but the issues is their end product of an entry dslr is not great. Put in a good sensor, but do not make the body up to par to take full advantage of having the good sensor.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:23 PM   #15

am i the only one that think sony has gone nutz with its dslr line up - every week they announce new cameras - 2 new ones just recently and they are virtually identical -

sony needs to produce 4 cameras thats it

entry
mid
advanced
Professional

would make choosing a camera from them much simpler - but thats not really relevant - my money would be on the k-x - i have the pentax k-7 and am still seriously tempted to get a k-x for the amazing low light performance and the cool stormtrooper white model =) though will try and resist until the k-7 replacement is announced as it might have even better performance in a advanced dslr package
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:28 PM   #16

Their plan for the dslr is kinda like their plan form point and shoots, market saturation. I lost count on how many entry leve they have now.

to bad they do not spend that r and d money on lenses, and get back to the minolta quality of lenses.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:00 PM   #17
Administrator

Well... you have to keep in mind that a larger percentage of users are going with entry level dSLR models versus point and shoot models now. So, making sure they have plenty of models available for that class of user is probably good business strategy; as everyone has been doing the same thing in the Point and Shoot market for a while now, with lots of available options (and the entry level dSLR niche is attracting the same types of buyers now).

The price points they're offering them at are also undercutting competitors in many market regions (especially outside of the U.S.), in order to gain market share (especially in Europe, India, etc.); even though their sales increases are not as obvious in the U.S. and Japan markets (as they haven't concentrated as much effort there in making sure their products sell as well, instead concentrating on markets that are likely to grow more as time passes).

From stats and projections I've seen, Sony should end up being the number one producer of digital cameras this year (when you combine both dSLR and P&S models), even if they don't do as well in the dSLR niche compared to Canon or Nikon.

So, you can't blame them for getting as much market share as possible to improve their position, and more choices in the entry level niche helps that (as far more entry level dSLR models are sold compared to higher end models). That's just business. Personally, I do think they've made some mistakes with their strategy, and could have sold a lot more cameras if they'd approached it differently (offering fewer models with more advanced features compared to the current entry level lineup). But, that's just opinion and we'll have to wait and see how their sales numbers turn out.

Yes, I'd prefer they offered more on the higher end, too. But, it should come as time passes.

We already know they're working on a more advanced replacement for the A700 (since they've already announced that); and it wouldn't surprise me to see some more higher end models going into Photokina to make sure they're available for the year end buying season.

The market is also going into an interesting evolution cycle with more video, 3D enabled cameras and displays, etc. So, I think a lot of Sony's resources are probably concentrating on that effort to make sure they're a more viable solution for the long term.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:05 PM   #18

For the price point, the pentax k-x is a much more attractive camera the the sony, with some excellent features for the entry level. 520 dollars, 720HD, good low light up to 3200iso, and workable at 6400 and 12800iso. Very easy to uses menu system and art filters. Very good kit lens. And a slight edge on lens option for a upgrade path.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:21 PM   #19

i understood sony wasn't going to put video into there dslr's because they didn't want to impact sales of their video cameras

as for market saturation...... well i can see that working for p&s but surely people buying a dslr are more interested in what the camera is capable of and dont want to be confused by which camera does what! - quick look on warehouse express reveals 10 to choose from =/ so when it comes to photokina i would expect nothing less than about 5 new cameras announced by sony =) - insane!
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:23 PM   #20

They use the space for the HD to put in the second sensor for the top rate live view. That is why the A3xx has such a small vf.