Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
You really can't compare the ZS series to the Kodak Z950. The ZS series are superior in pretty much every way, from size to IQ. If cost is the only factor that's important, you can run down to Walmart and get a camera for under $100 quite easily.
I hardly think saving $100 for a similarly equipped (on paper) camera is hardly the same as running to walmart for their cheapest camera.

Some reviews actually do think reasonably highly of it if - will check it out against the ZS5 or 3, don't need the 7

Thanks for everyone's inputs, appreciate it
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
I hardly think saving $100 for a similarly equipped (on paper) camera is hardly the same as running to walmart for their cheapest camera.

Some reviews actually do think reasonably highly of it if - will check it out against the ZS5 or 3, don't need the 7

Thanks for everyone's inputs, appreciate it
"On paper" is just that - on paper. I checked two reviews on that Kodak and both said the images were of "ok" quality. I am certainly not saying everyone needs the better camera, but let's not call them equal as they are not.

Let's look at some of their features on paper though. The Z950 only goes to 35mm at the wide end whereas the ZS6 ($239 at Costco right now) goes to 25mm. The Z950 has less white balance presets but mroe importantly, it has NO manual white balance option. On the ZS6 you can adjust saturation, noise reduction and contrast - none of which you can do on the Z950. Shutter speed ranges from 60-1/2000 on the ZS6 whereas it only ranges from 1/81/1250 on the Z950. The Z950 has a 230k LCD whereas the ZS6 has a 460k LCD. Startup time on the ZS6 is 1.28s vs 3s on the Z950. The Z950 is also large enough that I doubt it would fit comfortably in even my pockets.

I am not saying it's a bad camera. For $140 it's pretty darn good. It is however nowhere even remotely close to an equivalent of the ZS cameras.
[IMG]chrome://dictionarytip/skin/dtipIconHover.png[/IMG]
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:49 AM   #13

However, we all must face the reality in daily life of budgets, so, if it seems right to save the money, and the Kodak Z-915 or Z-950 can serve your needs nicely, that is not bad at all, it may indeed be a wise move.

Sarah Joyce

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-33543446.html

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 13, 2010 at 1:09 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote