Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:26 PM   #1

Default Panasonic ZS5 / ZS6 / ZS7

Been reading/researching a bit on the Panasonic ZS5 and ZS7, recently got my Costco coupon book in the mail and starting today they have $50 off ZS6, which I know nothing about.

So, with Sales tax and coupon pricing included, here are today's prices

ZS5 at Amazon - 239
ZS6 at Costco - 268
ZS7 at Amazon - 314

Where does the 6 fit in terms of features/quality ?

Anything else in the compact with 10X+ optical zoom I should look at instead ?
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:40 PM   #2

The ZS6 is on sale for $239 now at Costco, until July 3. It is essentially the same as the ZS7 without the GPS, no movie mode button (instead you get an EZ Zoom button and you have to rotate the dial to shoot in movie mode) and movies can only be taken in mpeg (no AVCHD lite). There may be a couple of other little things, but I think those are the major differences.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer251 View Post
The ZS6 is on sale for $239 now at Costco, until July 3. It is essentially the same as the ZS7 without the GPS, no movie mode button (instead you get an EZ Zoom button and you have to rotate the dial to shoot in movie mode) and movies can only be taken in mpeg (no AVCHD lite). There may be a couple of other little things, but I think those are the major differences.
Thanks Jazzer.

Sounds like it's more like a ZS5 at (with sales tax in CA, no sales tax buying form amazon) $30 more for the higher resolution LCD screen.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:25 PM   #4

toscano-

Take a close look at the answer that I posted 90 minutes ago to you in the Panasonic P+S folder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
toscano-

Take a close look at the answer that I posted 90 minutes ago to you in the Panasonic P+S folder.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah, I did.

With CA Sales tax which I do have to pay at Costco but not at Amazon, if not mistaken I believe it boils down to:

For ZS5 vs. ZS6 : Do I want to pay $40 more for the 460K LCD ?

Or

For ZS5 vs. ZS7 : Do I want to pay $70 more for the 460K LCD, GPS and AVCHD Lite ?

Decisions decisions.............
Old Jun 12, 2010, 6:49 AM   #6

I'm also considering these things. Is AVCHD Lite a big plus? Please realize I've never shot a video in my life.

What's Amazon's return policy and shipping returns vs. Costco's great return policy (90 days they will take it back and I think the 2 year warranty might apply to it, not sure, thru consierge program).

Glad you posted so I could tag along...
Clemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemma View Post
I'm also considering these things. Is AVCHD Lite a big plus? Please realize I've never shot a video in my life.

What's Amazon's return policy and shipping returns vs. Costco's great return policy (90 days they will take it back and I think the 2 year warranty might apply to it, not sure, thru consierge program).

Glad you posted so I could tag along...
For what it's worth I was going to pull the trigger on ZS5 at amazon when the Kodak Z950 came into play at $100 less for similar features
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:44 AM   #8

ZS7 is $299 w/ free shipping at Buy.com right now from Beach Camera which is also a reliable return vendor...this is a link to a red but I got a blue for the same price...
http://www.buy.com/prod/panasonic-lu...214532992.html

Beach Camera has a 30 day return policy...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:15 AM   #9

toscano-

Because I am a Kodak certified instructor, I received a Z-950 model and was not really blown away by it, the Z-915 is a much better and less costly camera. However, the ZS5 and ZS7 are again in a different and higher quality league. With either of those two cameras you will have a much better camera, capable of better image quality and HD video if that is important to you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 3:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
For what it's worth I was going to pull the trigger on ZS5 at amazon when the Kodak Z950 came into play at $100 less for similar features
You really can't compare the ZS series to the Kodak Z950. The ZS series are superior in pretty much every way, from size to IQ. If cost is the only factor that's important, you can run down to Walmart and get a camera for under $100 quite easily.