Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:16 PM   #1
BDD

Default New DSLR announcements

Recently Sigma and Sony announced new DSLR's. I hope Nikon announces their replacement for the D700 based on the D3s and not the D3x. High ISO vs resolution.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Administrator

The IQ of the D3s is a pretty nice improvement over the D3 and D700. So, if I were a Nikon shooter, that's what I would want, too (an upgraded D700 that's based on the D3s versus D3x).

For shooters wanting better high ISO speed performance, the same type of improvements would be nice to have in a D700 replacement.

But, we'll have to wait and see what Nikon has in mind... as in today's megapixel conscious market, more pixels could win out. LOL
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

Keep in mind that Nikon doesn't have a low cost dSLR with higher resolution yet (anything greater than around 12MP), as the 24MP D3x sells for over $7K at reputable vendors.

Yet, you can buy a 20+ Megapixel full frame dSLR for a fraction of that cost from other manufacturers (around $2K for a Sony A850, or around $2.5K for a Canon EOS-5D Mark II).

So, Nikon has a big whole in their lineup right now for shooters looking for a higher resolution camera. Not everyone needs superb high ISO speed performance, fast frame rates, etc. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:05 PM   #4
BDD

The Canon 5D Mark II is my 2nd choice if Nikon doesn't roll out a D700 replacement based on the D3s (useable 200-12,800 ISO range). Upping the MP to maybe 18 sounds about right (not that I care for more resolution) if they must. If they leave it at 12 that would be fine with me too.

But being as my Nikon lens collection is 7 and counting I'd rather stick with a Nikon FF DSLR. Though, I think Canon has a much better selection of glass.

Also I hope Nikon includes 1080p video capture in the replacement for the D700. Something else I want in my next DSLR which I'll be using on travels as well as local shooting. It's nice to have the ability. And not need to carry a HD video cam along with your DSLR gear on vacation. Along with your laptop. The things a traveller carries these days sheeesh.... Or people into photography.

Last edited by BDD; Jun 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:00 PM   #5

The new Sonys look very interesting indeed. Can't wait for them to become available as i may well plump for the A290
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote