Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:16 AM   #1

Default Lumix zs6 comes with no owners manual?

Uh, is this fact specific to this model, from Costco, or true of all cameras now? Yes, you can download a pdf file but I have a terrible time using those.

Does Canon likewise only offer a pdf file if you buy an SX120 (my likely other choice)?

I'd pay extra for a REAL booklet!

Thanks.
Clemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:38 AM   #2

Default PS

Can anyone tell me how to upload photos/sample movie? Heck, I'll settle just for photos! I can't believe there is not some sort of instruction on this. Even my Coolpix 775 had instructions! sheesh.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:19 AM   #3

Clemma-

Whoa! 'Not to worry. The ZS6 comes with a short abridged and printed "Get Started" piece, and you will find the full Owner's Manual on the enclosed CD. There is not need to be concerned. That is how the camera industry is doing things now.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 2:15 PM   #4

You want instruction on how to upload where? If you want to download the photos to your PC, the easiest way is to just plug the camera in. Windows will see it as an external drive. You could also use the software that came with the PC. If you're looking to upload the photos to a website, the "how" will vary from site to site.

Yes, most cameras are now coming with a PDF file instead of a printed manual. In addition to saving the company money, it is an attempt to "go green." I prefer it this way personally. If you really want to pay for a printed copy, you can take the PDF file to any office supply store or print shop and they will gladly oblige.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 2:48 PM   #5

Geeeeeezzzzz... are we going to have to suffer through this AGAIN?! You are complaining to the wind here. Write the manufacturer. This topic has been beaten to death ad nauseum.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Jun 12, 2010 at 2:51 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 3:04 AM   #6

Sorry to offend you, toth.

Yes, it is worth it to me to have a printed booklet. A pdf is only useful if you can manage to read it easily and if you have a computer in front of you.

I don't see the get started instructions (to just get the pics to my computer, for beginners) but I emailed a friend who told me what to do so that should work.

Maybe I'm unusual but I'd pay extra to have a brochure.
Not sure how much it is going green when you need batteries and electricity to run the computer...

But thanks for the replies, all! Very helpful forum!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:07 AM   #7

I came across this site that sells hard copies, tho they do NOT have the zs6.

http://www.oldtimercameras.com/jessops/

I gather it's not really a brochure or book, just loose pages, but I'm going to ask.

Probably is less than a printshop would charge.

If Canon also does not have printed brochures I guess I will stick with this camera and get a booklet. Talk about cutting corners, tho!

Last edited by Clemma; Jun 13, 2010 at 5:10 AM. Reason: correction
Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:27 AM   #8

Who in their right mind would buy a camera based on whether or not it comes with a printed manual? If Allen Funt wasn't dead, I'd be looking for him in the bushes right now.

It's 2010. With the popularity of the Kindle and similar products, you may not be able to buy books in print in the coming decades.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:51 AM   #9

I don't think books will die out. My writer's group doesn't think so, at least, or shall I say we sure hope not!

I would say that a hard copy manual is a plus-- not that it is the main consideration in sizing up a camera.

But if NO digicams have them, guess it is a level playing field.