Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:38 AM   #41

'Live View' with a dSLR can come in handy occasionally, but dSLRs are heavier than P&S digicams, and holding them out away from your body can get old fast, especially if you're using a big,heavy lens.

Another consideration with the Sony A550 is that the articulating LCD display sticks out the back, making it tougher to use the optical viewfinder. For that reason (plus the extra moving parts on the A550), I'd prefer the A450 to the A550.

Since the Sony has the image stabilization in the body, that means the large aperture standard zooms you mentioned earlier would be stabilized on the Sony but not on the Canon, and the stabilized equivalents aren't as good.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:10 AM   #42

...finally, it is done!

There are always pros and cons for each model, so I think there is no single truth on what is the best choice.

I settled on the Canon 550D with Sigma 17-70 and Canon 70-300 (option d from above). Waiting for the parcels to arrive...

I'd like ot thank all of you for your contributions, your quick and detailed comments, and for keeping me good company while I faced this difficult challenge! :-)

I have some busy weeks ahead fo me, but later I might come back and share my experience with you.

Again, thanks,
Matthias
SlrBeginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:12 AM   #43

The 550D will give you the most room for growth, especially in the lens department. So if lenses growth is important to you down the road, the canon is the better option.

But if do not intend to use the HD optional at all. The articulating lcd is a nice feature. Good for uses on a tripod. But not great for shooting handheld like a point and shoot.

But with large aperture standard zoom, they will be fast enough lenses that will negate the need for IS with the ones that do not have IS, OS, or VC.

I shoot large aperture primes, and IS is not as important as it may sound. It is nice to have, but do not over rate it's importance. When shooting on a tripod you will want it off, as it can induce shake.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:27 AM   #44

Good luck with your new gear. That's a nice camera and a nice set of lenses. I'm looking forward to seeing some of what you will have accomplished in the near future.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:49 PM   #45

congrats, that is an excellent setup. It will serve you well.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:38 PM   #46

Congratulations, Sir Beginner-

Enjoy your new camera. You have made a great choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote