Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 13, 2010, 1:33 PM   #1

Default Help me decide which DSLR

Hello everyone,

I currently own the Canon EOS 400D with the kit lens 18-55mm and a canon 90-300 mm that my dad bought me. I bought this camera back in 2006 as my first dslr and I feel that i'm ready to 'upgrade' to something better now. I mainly shoot landscapes and i'm not really interested in video.
I've been very intrigued to switch to Nikon after trying out the Nikon d90 in store last year. But then again should I stick to what i know? (Canon)?
My question to you is what camera would you suggest for me as an upgrade from my current camera. I would like the camera to be quicker and to produce sharper photos than my current camera.
I am contemplating the Nikon D90, Nikon D5000 and Canon 550D and my budget is 900 max with the lens.

Also i will be travelling to America this summer so do you think I should wait and purchase the camera from the States? I head that it will be much cheaper than in UK, is that true?

Thank you.
LittleMissPinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2010, 1:44 PM   #2

The d5000 is not on par with either the d90 or 550D. Between the 550D and d90, there are both good camera. But if you want HD in your camera, the canon 550D has a much better HD system then the D90. On the photo note, both of them excellent camera and can shoot pretty much everything. The canon can shoot at 12800iso, but I would not recommend shoot up there too often, but it can be useful in a pitch.

If you are in a tighter budget and do not want to get a long reach lens right away. I would get the 550D and use your long zoom for now even though it is not the best telezoom.

Which 18-55 do you have, I presume the non IS version. If that is the case, I would get the 550D with the kit lens with the new 18-55mm with IS.

But I would go out and try out the 550D it is quite a good little camera.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 13, 2010 at 2:14 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:11 PM   #3

quicker in what regard? as for sharpness, that is often more an aspect of lens than body. kit lenses arent incredibly sharp.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissPinky View Post
....I've been very intrigued to switch to Nikon after trying out the Nikon d90 in store last year. But then again should I stick to what i know? (Canon)?
Welcome to the forum.

The Nikon D90 is a good camera, but if you do decide to stick with
Canon, the two obvious choices in your price range are the
550D and the 50D. If you don't need video, the 50D would be
a step up from the entry level range of Canon cameras.
50D prices are down, probably due to the persistent rumors
about a new replacement for this model (60D?) and stiff
competition, not just from Nikon, Sony etc... but also
from Canon's own entry level cameras like the 500D and
550D.

Quote:
My question to you is what camera would you suggest for me as an upgrade from my current camera. I would like the camera to be quicker and to produce sharper photos than my current camera
The 400D is a decent performer, so if you are expecting a radical
improvement, you might be disappointed regardless of which camera
you choose to buy. The newer cameras have higher resolution, but
the 400D isn't really lacking in that area. 10Mp is enough for most
of us. The newer models will be better in low light. The 550D has
a slightly faster burst rate, and the 50D is significantly faster.

Quote:
Also i will be travelling to America this summer so do you think I should wait and purchase the camera from the States? I head that it will be much cheaper than in UK, is that true?
It would be cheaper in the US. VAT and duty could wipe out any
price advantage. DSLR prices are well down in the UK so
check prices carefully before you buy. Canon Europe won't
provide warranty cover for cameras bought in the US (Rebel)
or Asia (Kiss). Buying in Europe gets you a Canon warranty
and the correct power plug. Canon often have cashback offers
which would only be available on European models.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:30 PM   #5

for buying in the us - well yeah import duties likely would get rid of the advantage but then again unless you tell them........ lets just say people going through airports with cameras are not exactly unusual

not sure what the price advantage is anyway - internet prices tend to be significantly lower than in shop prices and cant imagine while on holiday in the us you be able to get an internet delivery so might not be worth it at all anyway
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:38 PM   #6

It was cheaper last year with the super high exchange rate, but things has drop quite allot especially with Greece.

I have not seen the Euro under 1.20 in ages. And the pound under 1.50 in a while. But there is still a cost saving.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 15, 2010 at 9:04 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:49 PM   #7

Physically handling the various potential models, Canon 500D, and 550D, and the Nikon D-5000 and the D-90, would seem to be the first step in your DSLR search. Next I would give serious consideration to the lenses that are available for each camera and how they might specifically meet your own personal needs.

As corkpix pointed out, based on the current warranty policies of both Canon and Nikon, if you purchased your camera equipment in the USA during your upcoming visit, you would not have warranty coverage on your return home.

If your budget is limited, the Nikon D-5000, and the now discontinued Canon XSi camera models, offer a lower price point. Review the photos you have taken in the last year to get a candid look at the focal lengths that you use most often.

You should also allow enough room in your proposed budget to purchase a good external flash as that could measurably expand your photo options when using a DSLR camera.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 18, 2010 at 3:58 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:10 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Buying in the USA is a risk. You will lose your manufacturers guarantee. You are obliged by law to declare the camera when you enter the country and pay VAT. Chances of being caught if you don't however are very small. So you need to decide whether the loss of guarantee, and small risk of paying VAT anyway, plus fines is worth the difference in cost. In my view it almost never is.

In terms of an upgrade, well the good news is that your existing lenses aren't worth saving. That means that if you decide to switch systems you have lost little.

However, if you hardly ever use the telephoto, then it might be worth staying with Canon and upgrading the body and getting a new standard zoom to go with it.

The new Canon 15-85mm is 620. A new Canon 550D is 633, making a total of 1250. There is a reasonable chance that you can get 200-250 on a trade-in of your existing camera. That would push your budget to around 1000.

Alternatively you might simply upgrade your 18-55 and get the 15-85 and a tripod, and possibly some better image processing software. This will make far more of a difference to your images than a new camera.

In your shoes I would:

1. Keep your 400D.
(Do some comparisons over at DXOMark.com to see why.)

2. Upgrade your main lens to a Canon 15-85mm.
(Do some comparisons over at slrgear.com to see why. Note that you do not own the current 18-55 (version 3), you own version 2 or possible even version 1.)

3. Upgrade your software to Lightroom 3 and purchase the video tutorials from the Luminous-Landscape website.

4. Purchase a good tripod - an entry-level Manfrotto for example.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 3:09 PM   #9

thank you everyone for your replies. You've all made some points i haven't thought of before, for example the warranty not being valid in europe if I buy in USA.

I have decided to get the D90 with the 18-105mm lens kit, and I would like your help with recommending a good wide angle lens to use for my landscape shots. Thank you very much.
LittleMissPinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 3:15 PM   #10

tokina 11-16mm 2.8 is a very good one.