Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
In a budget 70-300mm, I'd suggest going with a Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Autofocus lens
Thanks! I will take a look at that one.
snewpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:41 AM   #12

the canon lens is also sharper then the tamron, and the tamron is soft on the long end but is also a better macro lens then the canon.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:48 AM   #13
Administrator

Yes, the Tamron is not as sharp at it's 300mm end. But, you'll see the same thing with any of the budget 70-300mm lenses (they get softer towards their longer end). But, you'd have 300mm if you needed it. ;-)

If I were choosing between them, the Canon 55-250mm IS would be a better bet. It tests quite well. But, at the same time, it's a more expensive lens and doesn't reach out as far.

Actually, if I were planning on spending more than $200 on a budget lens with that kind of reach for use with a Sony, I'd probably go a totally different route and just get a used Minolta 100-300mm APO lens instead. You can find them for under $300 from reputable vendors like keh.com

http://www.keh.com/camera/Minolta-Ma...99072148N?r=FE
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:53 AM   #14

that bring up the debate, new vs old, if something goes wrong with old after 30, you are footing the bill, you get a 1 year warranty with new. So it comes down to what the buyers level of risk is weather used is a route they wish to go. There are plus and minus to both.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:55 AM   #15

Or you go with an adorama referb of the canon ef-s 55-250 for 200 dollars. And have a 1 year warranty.

http://www.adorama.com/CA55250AFSR.html
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:59 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
...that bring up the debate, new vs old, if something goes wrong with old after 30, you are footing the bill, you get a 1 year warranty with new. So it comes down to what the buyers level of risk is weather used is a route they wish to go. There are plus and minus to both..
Sure... but, the build quality of the Maxxum lenses like that is much higher than you get with today's budget lenses, and keh.com is a reputable vendor that checks them out and grades them fairly.

BTW, their warranty is 60 days versus 30 days (and they also have a liberal "no questions asked" return policy within 14 days of invoice date if you see anything you don't like about a lens you buy from them).

http://www.keh.com/help.aspx#pe17

I've bought most of my lenses used, including some of them from keh.com. I've yet to see one of my Maxxum lenses fail after years of using them (even though most of them were purchased used). They don't make them like they used to. ;-)

The only lens I've had fail in a while was a Sigma (in Nikon mount), due to stripped gears.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:00 PM   #17

There are pros and cons to buying used. Just something the OP may want to consider.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
There are pros and cons to buying used. Just something the OP may want to consider.
In many cases I've no problems buying used and quite honestly already accepted the fact that I will probably purchase a majority of my lenses that way.

That being said - I'm still trying to figure out my camera body dilemma...
snewpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:14 PM   #19
Administrator

Don't sweat it too much. Try them out in a store and see which body is more comfortable to you from an ergonomics perspective.

Your skill is going to be the limiting factor, not the camera you're using when looking at entry level models. Any modern dSLR is capable of taking great photos.

These types of debates are just "splitting hairs". ;-)
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:16 PM   #20

I get allot of used lens on ebay, also. Sometimes the are almost brand new. But you need to do your research on the lens and review the sellers ratings.