Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I guess that may be true that some Sony HX5's perform differently. I ended up E-Bay-ing my HX5 as it was gave poor indoor image quality. My Panasonic FX-500 did better indoors than the HX5. And I am not lacking in photo experience, as I teach and also shoot with a variety of DSLR cameras.

Count yourself very lucky indeed, Meanstreak. Its not like our old Fuji F-30 days.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
Though the technology is just slighty dated, still a great camera. I never liked the video end of it because you couldn't adjust the zoom while recording, but I rarely consider a cameras video capabilites while making a decision. It appears the trend is to try make camera an all purpose tool these days. Still not comfortable with it in a DSLR but have to admit that it could be convenient if they perfect it. I wasn't too crazy about live view in DSLR until my recent purchase. Guess I am taking it a bit off topic, but sometimes I feel some off topic discussion keeps it interesting and keeps the thread alive too.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:49 PM   #12

meanstreak-

Another option, with sort of Fuji F-30 characteristics, is the Casio EX-FH-100. It was the top pick out of a field of 13 compact zoom travel cameras at DPR. It is ISO capable, has a 24mm wide angle, 10X optical zoom, does HD video and you can zoom when filming, and is pocket size.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
meanstreak-

Another option, with sort of Fuji F-30 characteristics, is the Casio EX-FH-100. It was the top pick out of a field of 13 compact zoom travel cameras at DPR. It is ISO capable, has a 24mm wide angle, 10X optical zoom, does HD video and you can zoom when filming, and is pocket size.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for the recommendation, but for now I have all the cameras I need... in fact I could probably afford to part with a few. That also seems too close in features to the HX-5 and I have no intention of getting rid of it. The only thing I am always tempted to buy would be something to fill the void of the FZ20 I tried so hard to like. It's hard to justify though since the A550 with my Tamron 18-250 really covers most of what I need except it is not quite as compact as a bridge camera. Realistically the HX5 covers most of my needs in terms of lens coverage when the DSLR is not an option and it doesn't weigh much on a belt or in a pocket. I still dream of the day they resurrect the DSC-R1 only this time with a 30x zoom, but realize that large sensor means large lens.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreak View Post
I have not experianced the yellow cast you refer to at all in the HX5V.
I don't think it's safe to rule out differnences in individual copies.
While I agree that there are subjective differences between viewers, I realize to well the difference between a quality image and one that is merely acceptable. As for differences between cameras, even expert reviewers will agree from time to time that individual copies are not created equal.
I didn't say there weren't individual differences between cameras. I am saying that isn't the case here. The yellow cast using AWB indoors is well documented by hundreds of users (check dpreview for example) and is not simply a variability found in a few rare cases. Saying that yours doesn't have it is like saying that yours doesn't exhibit excessive NR - another major issue with the HX5V that is well documented.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hx5v+yellow+cast

As for the rest of your post ... Of course the FZ20 had poor low-light performance; just look at the specs. You didn't know that yet you're a camera expert? C'mon. More so, you replied to me yet I said nothing about the low-light performance of any Panasonic.

Last edited by FiveO; Jun 23, 2010 at 1:02 AM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I didn't say there weren't individual differences between cameras. I am saying that isn't the case here. The yellow cast using AWB indoors is well documented by hundreds of users (check dpreview for example) and is not simply a variability found in a few rare cases. Saying that yours doesn't have it is like saying that yours doesn't exhibit excessive NR - another major issue with the HX5V that is well documented.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hx5v+yellow+cast

As for the rest of your post ... Of course the FZ20 had poor low-light performance; just look at the specs. You didn't know that yet you're a camera expert? C'mon. More so, you replied to me yet I said nothing about the low-light performance of any Panasonic.
It may be well documented but I'm telling you that is not my experience. Your statements saying that isn't the case here is bordering the equivalent of calling me a liar and you sir have not earned that right.

As for your comments that I should have known the FZ20 had poor low light performance based on specs is totatly outrageous. In addition your sarcastic overtone about me being a "camera expert" and not knowing that is totally uncalled for. I never claimed to be an expert and incidentally plenty of other forum members on this and other forums with photography experience purchased FZ20s only to find it didn't cut it. I'll try not to put this in a personal manner but if there is anyone in this thread that seems to come off like an expert, that would seem to be you based on the nature of your posts. As for the reason I purchased the FZ20, that was after a long hiatus from photography because I wasn't sure I wanted to dive into digital. I also needed a camera quickly for a trip and went on the recommendations of many people here. It simply did not meet my expectations.

My recommendation to you with regard to your posts is to accept that the conclusions that you draw are based on your experience and the experience of others but may not be the experience of everyone. Also, drop the inflammatory stuff, most people don't come here for that, at least I don't. As for any future comments you may have to me, keep them to yourself since I do not appreciate your tone and I have nothing further to say to you.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:13 AM   #16

Hi, I have a Panasonic FZ 35 which I purchased for a holiday to Canada and Alaska. Whatever scene I shot - ocean, snow, waterfalls, people, macro etc turned out beyond my expectations. It is light and versatile and the quality is excellent. I am very much an amateau photographer who is also learning to use a DSLR - but I reach for the FZ 35 first! Good luck. Lyn
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
.cut.
your thousand PannyFanboy responses into any thread have sincerely tired...
viganet is offline   Reply With Quote