Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:25 PM   #1

Default Panasonic FZ35,Sony DSC-H50, Canon SX210, Sony HX5

I currently have a Canon A720--love the outdoor picture quality but hate indoor photos. I am looking for a much better optical zoom (at least 12) and don't want anything too large.

I have never really heard great things about Panasonics (all my friends have Sonys or Canons), but the FZ 35 looks like a great camera--and is a little smaller than the Canon SX20 which has similar features but is bigger than I'd like. Unfortunately, no stores near me carry it, so I'd have to order it online.

My sister has a Sony DSC H5 and told me that I really should buy whatever has replaced it---but I could only follow that line to a Sony DSC H50, and then I got lost.

Any thoughts? I am an amateur but passionate photography who loves to take action shots of my kids, still life, and just day to day pictures.
Thanks so much! Karen
kstanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:43 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstanto View Post
I have never really heard great things about Panasonics
You haven't been reading these forums for very long then

Quote:
(all my friends have Sonys or Canons), but the FZ 35 looks like a great camera
It is a very good bridge camera.

Quote:
Any thoughts? I am an amateur but passionate photography who loves to take action shots of my kids, still life, and just day to day pictures.
Thanks so much! Karen
Any time that someone starts a thread about bridge cameras and
then mentions indoor shots and/or action shots will usually get
a recommendation to buy a DSLR. Is this something you have
considered? The smaller DSLRs are not much bigger than the
FZ35.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:55 PM   #3

Quote:
I have never really heard great things about Panasonics (all my friends have Sonys or Canons)
Panasonic's top end camcorder was ranked #1 two years running. The ZS3 was the #1 selling P&S. The FZ series are generally considered top of their class. Canon makes good cams also. Sony .. well, a few.

Quote:
I currently have a Canon A720--love the outdoor picture quality but hate indoor photos.
If indoor photos are a concern, I would take the Canon SX210 and Sony HX5/HX5V off your list.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:23 PM   #4

You're right! I am totally new to these forums and haven't bought a camera for a while. I was just surprised to see Panasonics perform so well. I think I'll just move forward and get the FZ 35. No one has anything bad to say about it! Thanks for your help.
I think, for now, I want to stick with a point and shoot, albeit one with many options.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:24 PM   #5

Thank you so much! I think I'll go with the Panasonic.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:33 PM   #6

Congratulations, kstanto-

The Panasonic FZ-35 is an excellent choice and a very good camera. We also have a large group of FZ-35/38 users in our Panasonic P+S folder as well. So, there is a great source of photo tips and photo samples to get you started.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:09 PM   #7

There must be differences in individual copies of the HX5V because I get great results indoors.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:31 PM   #8

I guess that may be true that some Sony HX5's perform differently. I ended up E-Bay-ing my HX5 as it was gave poor indoor image quality. My Panasonic FX-500 did better indoors than the HX5. And I am not lacking in photo experience, as I teach and also shoot with a variety of DSLR cameras.

Count yourself very lucky indeed, Meanstreak. Its not like our old Fuji F-30 days.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 5:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreak View Post
There must be differences in individual copies of the HX5V because I get great results indoors.
erm, no. There are however subjective differences within the viewer.

Oddly, some people post these horribly yellow photos and think they look fantastic. Likewise, some people see lack of noise (even at the cost of detail) to equal "great" results. Others see it differently.

Personally, I am satisfied enough with the IQ indoors of the HX5V. I don't expect miracles from a 1/2.33" sensor so it's enough to clean up the noise even at the cost of detail in this case. However, the AWB is awful and does indeed produce a terrible yellow cast in most cases.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
erm, no. There are however subjective differences within the viewer.

Oddly, some people post these horribly yellow photos and think they look fantastic. Likewise, some people see lack of noise (even at the cost of detail) to equal "great" results. Others see it differently.

Personally, I am satisfied enough with the IQ indoors of the HX5V. I don't expect miracles from a 1/2.33" sensor so it's enough to clean up the noise even at the cost of detail in this case. However, the AWB is awful and does indeed produce a terrible yellow cast in most cases.

I have not experianced the yellow cast you refer to at all in the HX5V.
I don't think it's safe to rule out differnences in individual copies.
While I agree that there are subjective differences between viewers, I realize to well the difference between a quality image and one that is merely acceptable. As for differences between cameras, even expert reviewers will agree from time to time that individual copies are not created equal. As for experiance on a personal level, I own 9 digital cameras including 6 DSLR cameras. Because I use some of my cameras for work, I own several of the same exact body or common lens mount. For example I own 3 Konica Minolta 5Ds and 2 7Ds. On my 5Ds, I have experianced noticable differences between AWB and exposure level while taking the same photos in well controlled environments. My 7Ds have fairly little AWB issues, farily accurate exposure, accurate focus, yet other users have documented some or all issues depending on the manufacturing date, firmware date, or poor quality control during factory camera calibration. Differences in noise is a little tougher to discern, especially since these particular cameras are not known for noise issues.
The same theory holds true for most copies of DSLR lenses... individual copies may produce significantly different results. Though I don't own multiples of the same when it comes to point and shoot duplicate point and shoot cameras, I can't imagine being the issues being non-existant. This is all without taking into account the issue of user error, wrong settings or lack proficiency in photography that may also account for some differences between models.

On a personal level, I always buy cameras knowing that I can return them if I am not 100 percent satisfied. Had I thought the HX5V was not a keeper, I would have thrown it back. If you look back to some of my posts from 2006, you will see I did just that with a FZ20 Panasonic. It took great pictures except in low light. I tried to like it and even tried a second one just to be fair, but it was not a keeper. I am glad to hear that Panasonics are getting better. I have one of their video cameras and I am very happy with it, but must admit that I shied away from Panasonics because the FZ20 left a bitter taste.

Last edited by meanstreak; Jun 22, 2010 at 2:01 PM.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote