Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2010, 6:16 PM   #1

Default Panasonic TZ7, TZ8, TZ10? or FZ38?

Hey everyone...after thinking about a reflex i've pretty much decided i'll start with a lighter gear and then maybe later move up.

In the compact market i pretty much liked the TZ7, although today i discovered the FZ38 bridge is not too far off price range and seems to offer a bit more. What do you think of this? i've never seen one live, are they a bit cumbersome? it's zoom specs sound great from the reviews..although it's bigger...

Also from the TZ7, to the TZ8 and TZ10, is there any point on spending extra for the newer models?

I've seen people here stating that the TZ7 has the best quality of photos of the lot..if this is true it's pointless to spend more on the more recent models. no?

They're pretty much available for the same price range of 259 (TZ7)-325 (TZ10) here in portugal at a website (FZ38 included-305).

Thanks for your help.
orion318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:13 PM   #2

orion-

The TZ-10/ZS-7 takes great outdoor photos, there is no doubt about that. But when taken indoors that image quality begins to drop somewhat. The FZ-35 is a much better camera, in my opinion for image quality, and it gives you an EVF which makes framing your photos much easier.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:29 PM   #3

As the happy owner of a TZ10 (ZS7), I would still still recommend the FZ35 if you don't mind carrying it around. As Sarah Joyce said, the TZ10 performs poorly indoors.

As to the comparison of TZ7 vs TZ10, that discussion has been beaten to death. The main additions that TZ10 adds are: GPS, Picture Adjustment +/-2 (sharpness, contrast, saturation, noise reduction) and manual mode. If those aren't needed then the TZ7 will give you marginally better IQ (though I believe I read that the AWB is better on the TZ10 if that matters - it's certainly better than my Panny camcorder).
Old Jun 15, 2010, 5:50 AM   #4

Thanks for the input guys, is there any other camera in the price range i should be aware of that has nice quality that i might have overlooked? (G11 is quite more expensive here)

When i "discovered" the FZ38 (this europe and US having different names for the cameras is almighty confusing), i was really atracted to its zoom capabilities, they look really good in what seems to be not such a big camera, and i enjoy having that hability in hand.

I still have to find it in a store so i can handle the camera...anyone here owns/has handled one? is it too big?

Also any newer models that might be coming out worth waiting for?

Sorry about the newbie question but i also didn't find it on the site's glossary, what's this IQ you refer to?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 1:35 PM   #5

Orion-

The Panasonic FZ-35/38 is a compact camera weighing just 14 ounces.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 15, 2010, 5:36 PM   #6

I've tried the FZ38 at my local 'Comet' store. Nice little camera. Nice size / feel to it.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:07 PM   #7

i just "discovered" the canon powershot sx20 is...loved a lot of stuff on the review...nice little articulated view screen...but....AA batteries? that really put me off

is it a good camera though?..where does it lose/win to the fz38...

Last edited by orion318; Jun 15, 2010 at 7:11 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 8:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion318 View Post
i just "discovered" the canon powershot sx20 is...loved a lot of stuff on the review...nice little articulated view screen...but....AA batteries? that really put me off

is it a good camera though?..where does it lose/win to the fz38...
Hi orion,

Prior to the development of the Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries, I also had an adversion to AA battery operated cameras and external flashes. But I bought Eneloop AA batteries for my external FL50 flash and they are super. Plenty of power and they don't self discharge while sitting idle.

I recommended the Eneloop batteries to a friend who has a Sony camera that uses AA batteries and they are working great there also.

A four pack of Eneloop AA batteries with charger costs less than $20. That's cheaper for known good quality batteries then buying OEM lithium ion or Nimh batteries. And if you want spare batteries, a four pack of AA Eneloops only cost about $10.50. A real bargain for known good spare batteries.

But if the size and weight of AA batteries are your concern, then there's no getting around that.

I like the Eneloop AA and AAA batteries so much that I'm using them in our remote controls, MP3 player and other stuff that uses them. I'm reluctant to put them in our grandson's toys though, since they might get thrown out or given away without my knowledge. Saves money in the long run over alkalines and saves the environment.

Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jun 15, 2010 at 8:19 PM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 8:17 PM   #9

orion-

The Canon SX-20 is most hindered by its inability to use high ISO settings and to control noise. The Noise Reduction degrades the photo at any ISO settings over ISO 200. In addition, the SX-20 is 30+% physically larger than the much better performing Panasonic FZ-35/38 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 16, 2010, 3:55 AM   #10

Well that pretty much settles that argument :P thks sarah.

hmm more and more inclined to the F35/38..(still have to see it live first)
any final arguments to another camera by anyone?....

going once...going twice...

(since it's nearly a year old model there's no news that panasonic are about to replace it is there?)

Last edited by orion318; Jun 16, 2010 at 4:05 AM.