Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:23 PM   #1

Default Travel super zooms compared...

Hi All,

It may not be completely kosher to note here, but another photography website just published a comparison of several cameras...results were a bit surprising....comments welcome.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/

Cheers
vwcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2010, 4:32 PM   #2

I wouldn't put much stock in that. The HX5 has gotten slammed on IQ in nearly every review when lined up against a number of other cams, yet dpreview has out it in the top slot alongside the Kodak Z950 - a camera that gets "average" and "ok" ratings for its IQ from every other review site. They've also put the HX5V in the top low-light category despite its horrendous rendering of white balance in indoors, low-light shots and the fact that it doesn't perform anywhere near the Fuji (also listed alongside it) in low-light. Then they put the HX5V in the top flash category again, even the flash is one of the most commonly complained about issues on this camera.

As the owner of an HX5V cam, I can tell you that it is far from impressive.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:37 AM   #3

^^^^+1 My HX5 was returned...the Panny ZS7 easily rooted it out of my hands...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:55 PM   #4

vwcrusher-

When www.walmart.com dropped the price of the Casio FH-100, the winner of that DPR review, keeping an open mind, I went ahead and ordered the Casio FH-1000. It will be delivered next week on Tuesday or Wednesday, June 22nd or 23rd.

I will be posting photos as soon as it arrives.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:03 PM   #5

Default Casi Fh100 vs panasonic tz10 vs Hx5v,can sx200 ,tz6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
vwcrusher-

When www.walmart.com dropped the price of the Casio FH-100, the winner of that DPR review, keeping an open mind, I went ahead and ordered the Casio FH-1000. It will be delivered next week on Tuesday or Wednesday, June 22nd or 23rd.

I will be posting photos as soon as it arrives.

Sarah Joyce

Hi i got a link in picasa where casio fh100 get compared with hx5v,sx200 ,tz10 and tz6
http://picasaweb.google.com/115012840235151584672
sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:26 PM   #6

Some people swear by Consumer Report and won't buy anything that hasn't been highly rated by them. The thing is, many many times the underdogs come up on top of their lists.

The dpreview article that the OP mentioned is an interesting one (although I found it to be very inconsistent). The Studio and Real World comparisons show one thing but the final conclusion in many ways does not support the negatives of each camera. Either they tried to be too politically correct, making sure they did not upset any manufacturer or else. Out of all comparison tests, only the Tele and wide angle sections shows the Samsung as being a better performer (and even that, it's not much superior than most other models) but yet, the Samsung appears at the top of DPR's list. I can certainly understand the Casio since the FH100 shined in many areas but not the Samsung. The Nikon model is another example of this pattern. It under performed in just about every category and it should share the bottom of the list with the CX3. The Panasonics did well in most categories but got the "middle of the road" place. So, I'm not too sure what the final list was based on but I certainly don't agree with it. As always, just my opinion.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:45 PM   #7

Interesting comparisons, Sandeepsaman. Here's my 2c. Both the Sony and Casio produce warmer (more magenta) colors than the Pana and consequently, less accurate. This is evident on sky and concrete primarily. The Casio also tends to over expose by a good +0.3 (and even +0.7 in some cases). As a result, there's less contrast than the Pana images. The Sony also over expose but not nearly as much. The Pana on the other hand tend to produce cooler images, which seem to have more accurate colors but it under exposes in some situations. The Canon was a good surprise. I've been reading lots of negative comments about its IQ but this quick test just comes to show that studio performance can not be necessarily be translated into real life results. I think the Canon images (too bad there weren't very many of them) were in many respect very comparable to the Pana but images were a bit sharper and better exposed. As usual, colors were good and look accurate. Thanks for taking the time and posting these images.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote