Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 16, 2010, 5:26 PM   #1

Default D5000 or 450D?

My brother-In-law is after a DSLR now and has asked me what i think!! lol

He is not fussy about Sony (I am waiting for A290).

He has looked around and his local Jessops has the D5000 and the 450D in stock and he likes both! He wants a camera to take landscape and family pics.

Out of the above 2, which would you suggest gurus?
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2010, 5:38 PM   #2

For "landscape and family pics", I'd go with the Nikon. It can use higher ISO settings than the Canon (should the need arise) and it has a slightly wider angle of view, which would help with the landscape and maybe the family stuff too.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 5:39 PM   #3

If you do want more lens option the 450D, but it is limited to 1600iso. It also has a very good AF system.

The lens upgrade path for the d5000 can get expensive with certain lenses. You only can use AF-s and AF-s lenses or 3rd party lenses with af motors built in. But you get 6400iso and HD. AF system in to as good as canon in this segment.

If I were looking at a d5000, I would also consider a 500D or the pentax k-x.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:01 AM   #4

He doesn't want movie in a camera. Does a higher ISO ability really matter? Doesn't noise get worse as the ISO rises?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:10 AM   #5

The higher iso, can be useful for siturations that a flash is not possible or ideal. The noise does increase with higher iso.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
... Does a higher ISO ability really matter? Doesn't noise get worse as the ISO rises?
As models advance, they incorporate better methods of preventing noise as well as handling it once it appears. But just because a camera can go up to ISO 12,800 doesn't mean you'll like the results.

My first dSLR was a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D (7/05, 6MP, max ISO of 3200.) I wouldn't shoot at anything over ISO 800 with it. My current dSLR is a Nikon D90 (9/08, 12MP, max ISO of 6400.) Despite the increase in resolution, the newer model is capable of using higher ISO settings and still produces clean images, though I won't go over 1600.

Last edited by TCav; Jun 17, 2010 at 8:33 AM. Reason: Elaborate on personal experience.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:59 AM   #7

koolpc-

As you can see here, real life situations, reality, the resulting image quality, and common sense have to come into play in this decision. Let's use TCav's comments as our baseline. If he considers ISO 1600 to be realistically the top of the shop, with his D-90, then lets apply the same measure to the D-5000 and then turn to the Canon 450D/XSi and look at its performance in the same way.

Because ISO 1600 is the absolute maximum for the XSi, in being conservative, we have to assume that the realistic top of the shop usage figure on the XSi camera should probably be ISO 800. That now puts these two camera models into a different light, at least in terms of ISO.

The next issue to consider is NR or noise reduction. That is simply how each of these camera models handle noise. Please refer to the attached photo comparing the D-5000 and the XSi at ISO 800. These were shot handheld. they are straight out of the camera without post processing and without using any noise reduction software.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:03 PM   #8

Koolpc-

Now here is a pair of ISO 1600 photos taken with the same two cameras, one after the other, under the same conditions previously outlined.From these you should be able to begin to draw some conclusions.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:15 PM   #9

looks the the xsi has more detail. Most likely the result of the nikon noise reduction built into the camera.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:49 PM   #10

Both look the same to me!!

D5000 looks the better one though if i am honest. Am i right?