Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:42 AM   #11

Seen some great reviews of the Pentax. Everyone says Nikon or Canon these days!! Buying a DSLR is a very hard job indeed!!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:12 AM   #12

I think if you can return the camera for full refund and get the k-x you should do it. Not because it's a better camera or pentax is a better system but because for your situation I don't see a good argument that the Nikon is a better fit. Combine that with the fact you want the k-x and it's a no brainer. You'll always second guess yourself if you don't get the one you wanted. The k-x is a fine camera so don't feel bad about wanting to go with it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:32 AM   #13

I recently purchased the D5000, and I find it a wonderful camera. The main point that I would make is that, if you are like me, you will need to live with whatever camera you own for a number of months before you can spend more time thinking about the photo than the camera. I've always marvelled at folks who can rent equipment and take it to photograph a major event in their lives. I need a lot of time to absorb equipment. So far, I am using only the 35mm prime lens, and I can appreciate after just about every shot that I could have taken a more direct route to getting the shot than I actually used. If that sounds at all like you, my advice would be to give yourself time to "settle in" to the camera. It has a LOT of functionality, and it is quite configurable (one thing I did that has worked very well for me is to reprogram the Function button to allow me to change ISO with a button press. I don't use the self timer, but I change ISO a lot.) The D5000 will take wonderful photos, and has many terrific lenses (the 35mm, a $200 lens, is a real gem, FWIW).
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:48 AM   #14

There are no bad dSLRs, and though there are some good reasons to pick one over another, you just mentioned one of the best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm9210 View Post
I picked up both cameras, and I liked the feel and size of the pentax more than the nikon.
Go back to the store and get the Pentax.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:50 AM   #15

... and if you happen to see that salesperson again, smack him for me.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:13 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
PS the pentax is a solid metal body, the nikon is plastic. So the pentax is a bit more rugged.
The K-x body is reinforced ABS Plastic with an Aluminum Alloy frame (which is the same thing you'll find with most entry level dSLR models).

You have to move up to the K-7 in the current Pentax lineup if you want a Magnesium Alloy body.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:52 PM   #17

Pentax K-x looks like a nice camera on paper. If you really like it then go for it. Now, should i consider it too!! lol
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 9:25 AM   #18

Quote:
I was looking at the Canon's however although the t1i is competative with the kx and d5000 it was almost $200 more than the pentax and nikon. It seems as though if I ask 3 people I'll get 3 different opinions.

I picked up both cameras, and I liked the feel and size of the pentax more than the nikon. I guess the only thing that's still holding me back would be reputation the nikon has over pentax. Nikon is a far more popular brand compared to Pentax and I assume there is a reason for this.
A camera that you like to hold and use will get much more use than one that you may not be totally happy with. Don't let popularly of a particular brand determine what you will or will not use. You are the one using the camera, not the rest of the population. As said previously, there are really no bad dSLRs that you are considering. Its the one best suited for you, that you like and will be happy with - otherwise it will wind up being a paperweight sitting on a shelf.

You really have not indicated what type of photography you will be using the camera for. So, assuming general situations, there appears to be no real functional reason (faster autofocus, need for a particular lens, etc.) for one brand over the other. In that case, the overriding criteria is what works for you.....

Last edited by interested_observer; Jun 18, 2010 at 9:33 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:56 AM   #19

Quote:
...It seems as though if I ask 3 people I'll get 3 different opinions.

...Nikon is a far more popular brand compared to Pentax and I assume there is a reason for this.
Yes, every one has a different opinion when it comes to camera brand/models. Many people are brand loyal and will always push for their brand of preference. Others not as much and their opinions will be based more on facts than heart.

Thinking that Nikon is far more popular than Pentax may not be very accurate. Pentax has been around for a long time and it is a well known brand. The thing is (and this is my point of view), in the old film days, Nikon was always considered the "professional's brand". Their photographic equipment used to be among the most expensive one could get. So, for the regular photographer, brands such as Pentax, Olympus, Minolta,Yashica and even Canon were much more affordable. Well, the Nikon charisma remained even though they now offer models that are much cheaper than many competitors. So, people feel that now they can finally afford to have a Nikon camera (status has a lot to do with it) and I think that's what drives popularity. However, even though Nikon continues to produce good quality products, I do not believe they are necessarily better than all other manufacturers. Some times sales people have incentives to sell one brand/model over another, in which case they will push for that. Some times they don't even carry the brand you are looking for so their options are...1) agree with you that the brand you want is indeed good and consequently let you walk away and make no money, or 2) try to convince you that brand x is actually much better.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:16 PM   #20

Post your question in the Pentax/Samsung DXLR forum (this one is for point-and-shoot cameras) and you will get plenty of helpful advice. No one has a bad thing to say about the camera - Many users of higher end Pentaxes have purchased one as a second body.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote