Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:23 PM   #21
Administrator

cm9210:

You have three different threads going on this same subject already (one in the Pentax forum, one in the Nikon forum, and one in the What camera should I buy forum).

As penolta pointed out, this is the wrong forum for Pentax dSLR models (we have separate forums setup for dSLR models). The thread you started in the Nikon forum is also in the wrong forum (as that one was for Nikon point and shoot models, and we have a separate section setup for Nikon dSLR models).

But, we prefer it if members do not post the same questions in multiple forums. Otherwise, all of the answers are not in the same thread (with members not realizing that other members may have already answered some of the same questions). It's also not fair to other posters to post the same questions in multiple forums (since threads you start sort higher than other threads already in those forums).

Posting the same questions to multiple forums is known as "cross posting", and is frowned upon in most forums because of those reasons. IOW, it's not considered to be good forum etiquette to cross post (posting the same thing to multiple forums). You probably didn't know that. I'm just pointing out for future reference.

We also prefer that What Camera Should I buy type questions remain in the What Camera Should I buy forum, which was setup for that purpose.

So, I'm going to merge all three threads you started into one thread located in the What Camera Should I Buy forum so that all of the answers will be in the same thread, in the forum we have setup for questions about the camera that may be best suited to your needs.

It looks like you've already got some responses to help you make a decision about it. It's hard to go wrong with either one of those models, unless you prefer features supported by one model but not the other, as far as an entry level dSLR choice. Both have very good image quality in most conditions.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:32 PM   #22

I admit i do like the Pentax K-x. What puts me off at the mo is the lack of AF light.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:35 PM   #23

It is a problem for some, but not to others. I would have your brother try it out. And see if it is a issue for him or not.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:55 PM   #24

I thought that would bother me too. But I noticed that I pick the AF point, which the Pentax would let me do, and I shoot in continuous mode, and nobody lights up the AF points when shooting continuous. So while I did see that as a limitation, not anymore.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Post your question in the Pentax/Samsung DXLR forum (this one is for point-and-shoot cameras) ...
I thought the "What camera should I buy" forum served both P&S and DSLR types since there is no such forum under the DSLR umbrella.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I thought the "What camera should I buy" forum served both P&S and DSLR types since there is no such forum under the DSLR umbrella.
It does. The copy I responded to (the OP had more than one, which Steve combined into this single longer thread) was short one originally posted in the Pentax P&S Forum, and tacked onto the end of a longer one, so it seems out of place in the sequence.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:52 AM   #27

Ah...that explains it.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 9:52 PM   #28

Well guys I guess thats it for me. Ive decided that Im gonna go with the Pentax K-x as my first real camera over the Nikon D5000. The only thing that I would miss is that swiveling screen. I have a Canon S3 and man I love that screen because I can move it anywhere and it increases the quality of shots when taken from weird vantage points because you can actually see what you are shooting. hehe to tell you the truth, the only reason why I wanted the D5000 was because of that and it had inter-changeable lenses...
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:22 AM   #29

Pentax K-x is a great choice. Only thing that puts me off is the AF lights not coming on.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:21 AM   #30
Banned

Default Pentax k-x or nikon d5000

The nikon d5000 has just dropped in price! Check it out here: http://www.****.com/api.php?pid=84682579
robertsmith632 is offline   Reply With Quote