Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:37 AM   #31
Administrator

robertsmith632

We do not appreciate Spam and you have been banned.

You are not welcome here.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
Seen some great reviews of the Pentax. Everyone says Nikon or Canon these days!! Buying a DSLR is a very hard job indeed!!
It took me over 2 years (this is the truth!) to make my decision what DSLR to buy. Some very knowledgable people suggested I buy used, get an entry level camera, preferably a Canon or Nikon and play it by ear, getting more equipment (accessories), lenses, maybe a different body later. However, because of circumstances I won't go into, I prefered to get a new camera and I settled on the Pentax K-x last night, buying the 2 lens kit with the 55-300mm lens online. I don't know where I can find a K-x locally, so I am buying it sight unseen, as they say. However, not having used anything but a P&S (medium size), I don't have any sense of what's an appropriate size for a camera and my intuition tells me that I won't find the camera too small like some people who are used to a big camera such as a D90, etc.

Deciding factors for me:

1. A lot of bang for the buck (this is a generalization, of course, it depends a lot on what you want).

2. Fast continuous shooting of 4.3 fps (tested) for 17 shots.

3. Exceptionally good high ISO performance.

4. The kit lenses (especially the 55-300mm) are high quality

5. Uses NiMH AA's. For me this is positive, since I dislike dealing with li-ion rechargables.

6. I don't expect to become a photo gear head. I have too many other things I'm into. I may get another lens or two, maybe even a non-AF Pentax or two, maybe an AF prime. Figure to get a flash system, not much else. So, the wide range of accessories and lenses available for Canon and Nikon systems is no great attraction to me.

7. The build quality of the Pentax is said to be superior to Canons costing significantly more (i.e. T1i, T2i). Probably also true of the competing Nikons.

I was quite concerned about the prevalent criticism of the K-x for not showing illuminated (i.e. chosen) AF points in the viewfinder. However, again, I'm not used to any DSLR system at present, and I think that I will likely not find this "shortcoming" as much a problem as someone who expects the feature. I think I'll likely find ways to use the camera that give me acceptable success in achieving focus where I want it.

I was also concerned about the blur/double-image "mirror slap" issue at 60-120 second shutter speeds that many have experienced. It appears that this varies from camera to camera. I guess I'll have to try to determine to what extent if any my camera suffers from this problem.

Last edited by Muse; Jul 19, 2010 at 9:54 PM.
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:36 PM   #33

Have you seen the olympus e620, the k-x is about the same size. It is a very good camera.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:14 PM   #34

The most difficult thing for a good number of people is to accept the fact that Nikon and Canon are not the only two companies making good cameras. There was a time when Nikon only made top quality equipment (and charged well for it). Today, things have changed and these companies don't make products that are any better than Pentax, Sony, Olympus and even Panasonic, a new player in the camera business compared to all others. Nikon P&S cameras are far from being the best. Canon does better in that department but not by much. So, I've alsways been a Pentax fan and from what I've seen, the K-x is a hit!

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Jul 21, 2010 at 5:09 PM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
The most difficult thing for a good number of people is to accept the fact that Nikon and Canon are not the only two companies making good cameras. There was a time when Nikon only made top quality equipment (and charged well for it). Today, things have changed and these companies don't make product that are any better than Pentax, Sony, Olympus and even Panasonic, a new player in the camera business compared to all others. Nikon P&S cameras are far from being the best. Canon does better in that department but not by much. So, I've alsways been a Pentax fan and from what I've seen, the K-x is a hit!
I haven't been following the camera scene. I was quite into it in the 1960's, though. At that time (predated digicams by a few decades), Pentax made very fine consumer SLR's, near professional quality. In fact, I'd say they were professional quality, but they didn't AFAIK aim at the professional consumer. However, Pentax SLR's were compact, very well made and the glass was excellent.

My first Pentax (K-x) is in transit. Was hoping this week, but UPS's tracking says in 5 days (Monday), although it reached CA a couple days ago.

Last edited by Muse; Jul 21, 2010 at 4:42 PM.
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:38 PM   #36

Yes the kit lenses are very good on the pentax k-x, especially the DAL 55-300mm. Currently the pentax kit lenses is only slight behind olympus's kit lenses.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 7:56 AM   #37

Would you guys say the K-x is vastly superior to the Canon 1000D?
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 8:31 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
Would you guys say the K-x is vastly superior to the Canon 1000D?
The key word here is "vastly", so I'd say no.

The K-x is a 12MP dSLR while the 1000D is 10MP.
The K-x can do ISO levels up to 12,800 while the 1000D is limited to 1,600.
The 1000D has a larger selection of OEM and third party lenses and accessories than the K-x.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 8:34 AM   #39

It is a better tool, more updated. High ISO, better AF system, HD, and for new dslr users, and good menu and art filter system. So if shooting action or low light, it is more ideal for that.

The XS is just a bit older, and not quite as welled featured.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:17 AM   #40

Ok, so K-x is a better buy. Asking as my brother-in-law has seen my 1000D but was looking at the K-x!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote