Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:31 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurPhotographer View Post
bought the pentax-K-x because I read the comments from here. Have serious second thoughts now since I have been owning nikons for so long and am used to its colors. pentax's colors seem kind of off to me..not natural. I am debating whether to return the pentax for the D5000. Any thoughts? thanks.
If you like Nikon then get one. Ditch the Pentax otherwise you will be too late to swap it.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:45 PM   #52

I haven't read alll the posts..but I wanted to share. I took a 2 day course at the local college and the lady at my desk had the D5000. She was having trouble finding menu items the instructor was asking us to find.

I helped her and caught on to the camera fairly quickly..but I found that many of the KX features were much easier to find, and quicker to access.

Since I struggled with either the Nikon or the Pentax when I brought...playing with hers convinced me that I had made a better purchase in terms of ease of use..
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:38 AM   #53

So, you didn't like playing/fiddling with hers!! lol
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:58 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm9210 View Post
... It seems as though if I ask 3 people I'll get 3 different opinions.

You got that right. Not everyone has the same experience with cameras. While one camera may be the best thing since sliced bread for one person, it may be not as good for another. I bought the Kx and did not like it, particularly the lack of the focus light indicator. The fact that it uses 4x AA may be a plus for some people but it makes the unit feel very very heavy compared to cameras that use proprietary batteries (and you'll have to carry at least 4 more spare ones with you). I don't particularly think that the D5000 is that good either. The limitation caused by the lack of AF motor is huge IMO. Since you mentioned the T1i price, I'd suggest you look at some Sony models (or the Oly E620) as alternative options.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:31 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
If you like Nikon then get one. Ditch the Pentax otherwise you will be too late to swap it.
Thanks! I did returned yesterday, for another reason thought: the camera seems to have some loose components in it, when you tilt it, it seems to have something moving downward...
As for the color, I found a way to change the color to which ever way you want... so the pentax k-x is not bad at all. I liked it because it feels solid in your hand, plus you don't have to worry about buying VR lenses since the VR is already built into the camera. I used the high shutter speed to capture still droplets of water from a small water fall. It came out really good. Took it to the zoo and tried on on animals. the shots were great especially if you watch it on HD TV. They are not so great on PC LCD monitor thought not sure why...

Anyway, I am going for Nikon D5000 ...with 200 mm lense not because it's better but Okay... since I have 3 nikons, I am bias...
amateurPhotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:53 PM   #56

Hi,
My first DSLR was the Nikon D50, I have now upgraded to the D5000, I have a Tamron 70-300mm lens and have just got the Nikon 70-200mm VR lens. I have to admit that VR makes quite a difference. I have always had Nikon from film SLR`s to my D5000.
Martin
Mr.Jingles is offline   Reply With Quote