Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:43 AM   #1

Default Pentax k-x or nikon d5000

I recently bought the Nikon D5000 for 640 dollars and am having second thoughts. I went to the store thinking I was going to leave with the Pentax K-X but left with the Nikon after talking to the salesman who convinced me I'd get more 'bang for my buck'.

I was leaning more towards the Pentax because of its small size, great reviews and durability. (Price was not the biggest deciding factor because it was only $40 less than the Nikon).

The salesman made a note that Nikon offered a larger variety of lenses, however, I am only an amateur dslr photographer and to be completely honest, I don't think I'll be upgrading lenses in the future. (1 or 2 more lenses max.) Also after reading up on the Nikon lenses not all of them are even compatible with the Nikon D5000?

Lastly, both cameras do offer the video feature which I do like, though I've read and watched comparison videos and I am more impressed with the Pentax.

Bottom line- should I listen to my gut and get the Pentax? I know the Nikon is a great camera, but for the purposes I'll be using my dslr for I am afraid I 'overpurchased'.

Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
cm9210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:04 AM   #2

The salesmen lied I hate to say, as the d5000 can only use AF-s and AF-i series lenses.
So a 50mm prime for the nikon it 450 for the pentax is 350. If it was a d90, then it is a different story.

If you felt you prefer the pentax, I say that is what camera that is best for you.

The pentax has a better AF system the the d5000.

I shoot a canon t1i and the pentax can hang with the canon. The t1i gets compare to the d90 allot.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 17, 2010 at 1:13 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:25 AM   #3

I was looking at the Canon's however although the t1i is competative with the kx and d5000 it was almost $200 more than the pentax and nikon. It seems as though if I ask 3 people I'll get 3 different opinions.

I picked up both cameras, and I liked the feel and size of the pentax more than the nikon. I guess the only thing that's still holding me back would be reputation the nikon has over pentax. Nikon is a far more popular brand compared to Pentax and I assume there is a reason for this.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:27 AM   #4

Default Nikon D5000 over Pentax K-x???

I recently bought the Nikon D5000 for 640 dollars and am having second thoughts. I went to the store thinking I was going to leave with the Pentax K-X but left with the Nikon after talking to the salesman who convinced me I'd get more 'bang for my buck'.

I was leaning more towards the Pentax because of its small size, great reviews and durability. (Price was not the biggest deciding factor because it was only $40 less than the Nikon).

The salesman made a note that Nikon offered a larger variety of lenses, however, I am only an amateur dslr photographer and to be completely honest, I don't think I'll be upgrading lenses in the future. (1 or 2 more lenses max.) Also I've read that some Nikon lenses aren't always compatible with the Nikon D5000 and all pentax lenses work with the kx?

Lastly, both cameras do offer the video feature which I do like, though I've read and watched comparison videos and I am more impressed with the Pentax.

Bottom line- should I listen to my gut and get the Pentax? I know the Nikon is a great camera, but for the purposes I'll be using my dslr for I am afraid I 'overpurchased'.

Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:27 AM   #5

Default Pentax k-x over Nikon D5000

The salesman made a note that Nikon offered a larger variety of lenses, however, I am only an amateur dslr photographer and to be completely honest, I don't think I'll be upgrading lenses in the future. (1 or 2 more lenses max.) Also I've read that some Nikon lenses aren't always compatible with the Nikon D5000 and all pentax lenses work with the kx?

Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:35 AM   #6

The pentax was awarded TIPA's best entry dslr for 2010. It is an excellent low light camera, and the auto focus can hang with the T1i. The K-x handles action shots coming and moving away from you better then the d5000. The kit lens on the k-x will all have image stabilization as it has IBIS while with the d5000 you will need to buy IS lens to get that feature.

Here are some photos I took with the K-x with my brothers k-x, and a low light comparison I did between the T1i and K-x

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...birds-nyc.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 17, 2010 at 2:00 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:37 AM   #7

Here is one more of regular people

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...town-area.html
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:45 AM   #8

PS the pentax is a solid metal body, the nikon is plastic. So the pentax is a bit more rugged.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm9210 View Post
I recently bought the Nikon D5000 for 640 dollars and am having second thoughts. ... Bottom line- should I listen to my gut and get the Pentax? I know the Nikon is a great camera, but for the purposes I'll be using my dslr for I am afraid I 'overpurchased'.

I won't add to what has already been said. I just bought a Pentax a month ago, and believe me, I studied for a few months all of the various cameras out there, I kept coming back to Pentax. I don't like computer and camera biggots who think they have the only camera worth buying and then diss other cameras, meaning the salesman could have been more objective with you, for if were stronly leaning toward Pentax, then he should have made sure you are happy Pentax customer... It is a different thing if a camera is a lemon, and there are some reviews in magazines that show cameras on the market that are disappointing, but the Pentax K-x is not a lemon, it is not disappointing, there are a lot of lenses you can get, it has better video and AF... Bottom line, it is a good camera. Again, I tried and tried to go with another brand, and there are excellent cameras out there, but for euro amount and what I needed, I am happy with my Pentax... If I had more euros, I would go with a very expensive camera I am thinking of, but this camera will do me well for quite a while.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:30 AM   #10

PENTAX K-x

Looks like a really nice camera. Will have to do some more research!!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote