Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:04 AM   #21

jmp-

Your approach is a very logical one and seems to be working nicely as your posted photos demonstrate rather well. You look to have a wonderful family, so there are lots of memories to be properly recorded.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:28 PM   #22

Thank you Sarah!
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:48 PM   #23

Interested Observer:

Thanks for the detailed reply, everything you mentioned makes absolute sense but ultimately I'll have the compensate one way or another as you mentioned since there is not true all in one camera.

Hello. I went to a camera store yesterday and talked a bit with a salesman who seemed to think that the Panasonic Lumix G2 was the camera for me. The store is an electronics store that sells many different electronics (tv's, receivers, speakers, camera's,etc.) and not just cameras. From what I gathered the guy is in charge of buying cameras for the store so I took his pitch with a grain of salt. He personally has the first generation (Lumix G1) and raved about it. Does anyone have any opinions on these Micro four thirds cameras or EVIL cameras as was mentioned in a previously reply.

I've done a bit of reading and see they are fairly new and only Panasonic and Olympus use them. The G2 does seem like a nice little camera but is it heads and tails above a bridge camera? It still has a relatively small sensor compared to a SLR but its still bigger than a p&s. Its full of great options and the size is great. It isn't much bigger than the FZ35 or Canon SX20 IS. However, the price is fairly steep in my opinion. I'd be looking at $1099 with a 2 lens kit, or $899 for a 1 lens kit. He said they do price match so if I found something cheaper they should match it. The unprotected sensor scares me a bit since I wouldn't be the only one using the camera. Any comments would be great if you have experience with this camera or any of the Olympus models that use the same micro 4 thirds technology.

Last edited by fawks99; Jun 20, 2010 at 1:00 PM.
fawks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:42 PM   #24

fawks-

Mind you, this is just my personal opinion. As I see it the m4/3 sector is overpriced and you still do not get the larger imager that only a DSLR can give you. The are advertised as being small and compact, but sit them side by side to a DSLR like the Canon XSi and the physical size difference is really not much smaller than a DSLR.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:47 PM   #25

Sarah, those were my thoughts also about the m4/3 also.

Can you tell me what the important differences are between the Canon XSi and XS. The XSi seems to be more expensive. Is the price difference only due to the larger LCD screen size and 12 megapixels?

I just found a good detailed article about the differences if anyone is interested.

http://www.dpnotes.com/canon-xsi-450...anon-xs-1000d/

Last edited by fawks99; Jun 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM.
fawks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 9:31 PM   #26

fawks-

The Canon XSi is one of my favorite cameras. It is a sizable step above the XS, both in resolution, the LCD screen, and its high ISO capability, which I think would be very useful to you. Check E-Bay, you sometimes find good deals on XSI cameras there as well. The XSI can easily operate at ISO 1600 with ease.

The sample attached is a side by side comparison of the Nikon D-5000 versus the Canon XSI. These images are straight out of the camera without any post processing, except image size reduction, and no noise software was used at all.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 20, 2010 at 9:38 PM.