Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:13 PM   #1

Default Is there such a thing as a basic dsrl without so many functions ?

Hi all you fine and experienced camera buffs and profesionals also i am newly interested in cameras and was wondering what if any are some or is a basic camera without as many bells and whistles if this makes sence. Thanks in advance and i hope this question makes some sence as i can not seem to word it just as i would like
danrsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:33 PM   #2

The entry level dSLRs from any manufacturer will have fewer features and capabilities than their top-of-the-line dSLRs. In fact, some of them have fewer features and capabilities than some Point & Shoot digital cameras.

Can you talk about what types of photographs you'd like to take, and what types of cameras you've used in the past?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:30 PM   #3

I actually do not have enough knowledge to talk intelegently about cameras but here is how i am thinking at this time i am sure after i gain more knowledge i will probably have diffrent ideas. I am thinking back to the days i was in the Navy late 70s and the rave onboard ship was 35mmn cannons and a couple other brands as well anyway they had the ability of changing several lens and a few other adjustments that is what i am thinking of is there any thing in the modern digital camera equivilent?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:05 PM   #4

danrsapp-

Well, for example the Sony A-230 is an example of a minimal DSLR, and it is selling at less than $400.00. I have seen the Sony A-230 as low as $379.00, and it is a very good basic DSLR that is now being replaced by the new A-290 model.

However, there are lots of A-230's out there in inventory and I expect the price to perhaps come down even further in price.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:16 PM   #5

Any entry level dSLR, including the Sony A230 that mtclimber mentioned, will get you started. But when you buy a dSLR, you're not just buying a camera, you're buying the first part of a system, consisting of lenses and accessories. If it turns out that you bought into a system that won't serve your ultimate purposes very well, switching systems can be costly, since you'll have to buy not just another camera, but different lenses and accessories as well.

There are multiple reasons to buy into one system or another, so if you can discuss what you think you might like to take photos of, we can point you in the direction of a system or systems that will serve you well, or at least warn you against buying into a system that won't work for you down the road.

For instance, if you want to shoot sports/action/wildlife, Canon is the best for that, followed closely by Nikon. But for portrait photography, Sony has the best lenses, though they are expensive.

So what were you thinking you might like to take photos of?

Last edited by TCav; Jun 17, 2010 at 8:19 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:40 AM   #6

Thanks for all of your information here is what i ended up doing i bought an Olympus c-5050 zoom from an acquainance for a very low price as he had bought a cannon point and shoot pocket camera. He did not ever learn how to use most of the settings on the c-5050 so will not be able to help me much with it but he also had a book he had bought for it a short course in Olympus Camedia c-5050 zoom photography by Dennis P. Curtin that looks very informative. So i deciced to work with this fine little camera for awhile then move up to a dslr camera latter actually i think this will be a great camera from some of the reviews and will do way more than i really need but the price was very low $100.00 so i figured i could not go wrong.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 9:00 AM   #7

That sounds like a good deal. Good luck with it!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:53 AM   #8

danrsapp-

Congratulations on your new C5050 camera. The camera it self is a fine camera and the book by Dennis Curtin is also excellent. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to get your feet wet in photography. Post a few photos when you can and remember, we are always here to help, if you need help.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 9:20 AM   #9

I think i will really enjoy this hobby i took my new c5050 to a cook out for fathers day in my honor and took my first photos i had read how to reset the camera to factory defaults and set it on program and that is how i used it point and shoot all but the last picture i took it was just starting to get a little dark and i took a picture of my step son set at the factory settings then i took a second of him with the flash turned off i could not believe what happend it was not what i expected but after thinking about it i can understand why they turned out the way they did. The first thing i noticed when i took the second picture with no flash it seemed the shutter or somthing took longer to complete please excuse me if the terminalogy i use is incorrect i am just learning a little about cameras. Anyway when i got home and down loded them to the computer i was susprised the first picture with all factory settings and flash turned out good with it looking dark in the background and my step son looked good but the second picture looked like i had taken it in the daytime and was blured because i moved as i was not compensating for the longer shutter time. I will have a ball playing around with this.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:52 AM   #10

I'm pleased to hear that you're having fun experimenting with your "new" camera.

What you saw with the last two shots (Flash On/Flash Off) was proper exposure given very different circumstances. The flash provides lots of light for subjects that are closer, but not so much for objects that are further away, so objects in the foreground are well lit (sometimes even overexposed) and objects in the background are dark. But in low light with the flash off, the camera must make up for the lower light by adjusting the exposure settings to obtain a properly exposed image.

There are three factors that affect exposure:
  • Aperture - The amount of light that is allowed to pass through the lens
  • Shutter Speed - The length of time the image sensor is exposed to light
  • ISO - The sensitivity of the image sensor to light.
As Point & Shoot Digicams go, your C-5050 has a large aperture (f/1.8 at the wide end, and f/2.6 at the long end). That will help when taking photos in dim light, but even then, the camera will also use longer shutter speeds. This can result in motion blur if the shutter speeds are too long, but foreground and background elements of the image will both be more properly exposed.

You can also increase the ISO setting to allow the camera to use shorter shutter speeds, preventing motion blur, but at higher ISO settings, you're more likely to see image noise.