Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:37 PM   #11

No not really, I shoot a t1i with light up AF point, when I shoot the K-x not having the points do not bother me. Also you can choose 5 close to getter points in the center bracket. Or choose 11 AF point with the outer bracket. I find the 5 close together point actually to be more useful the 11 AF points. And since they are close in. If you place the inner bracket on the subject you know you will get it in focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
So, does the Non-lighting up AF spots put anybody off of the Paentax K-x? Does it really matter that they don't light up?
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I find the 5 close together point actually to be more useful the 11 AF points. And since they are close in. If you place the inner bracket on the subject you know you will get it in focus.
Again, it depends what and how you shoot. The above recommendation is only true IF EITHER:
1) your subject is under all 5 focus points - i.e, there isn't a focus point or two on something else
2) all subjects under the 5 focus points are within the same focal plane as your subject.

Additionally, the above also assumes you wish to either have your subject at the center of all photos, perform focus-recompose technique (if possible) or you will correct framing when you post process.

Again, it all comes down to how YOU shoot. For example I often use outer points - Shoturtle does not. Two people with different methods. Neither method is wrong - it comes down to style.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:49 PM   #13

You can also use single points also. Which I do use when off setting the subject in the frame.

So you can choose 11AF points, 5AF points, or pick which every one you want.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:52 PM   #14

Quote:
You can also use single points also. Which I do use when off setting the subject in the frame.

So you can choose 11AF points, 5AF points, or pick which every one you want.
Absolutely. And depending on which method you use and how - the lack of focus lights can be a problem. The lack of them isn't a problem for how YOU use the camera, but that doesn't mean everyone else will use the camera in the same method you do.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:57 PM   #15

I agree, just wanted point out that there is actually more AF point option with the pentax then with the rebels.

But with most point and shooter coming off of cameras without AF point, they may not be as big of an issue then season dslr shooter that are ingrain with light AF points.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 1:08 PM   #16

Quote:
But with most point and shooter coming off of cameras without AF point, they may not be as big of an issue then season dslr shooter that are ingrain with light AF points.
But the other difference coming off point and shoot is the dslr has dramatically less depth of field. So when the digicam uses the "wrong" focus point the subject is still in focus. But with a DSLR the subject may not be. So it's easier to "survive" a missed focus in digicam world. That DOF difference causes a number of people making the jump problems.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 1:14 PM   #17

I am not talking about dof, and dof miss focus. I am just saying that not having the point, and putting the center bracket works easier for point and shoot shooter then season dslr shooter not having the AF light.

Also using all 11 AF point spaced out point, I actually get more miss focus and dof errors then using 5 close in points or individual, especially with a clutter frame. If the camera pick up the wrong subject with a different point, and focus on that. Then you have a miss focus.

So I am form the school of thought to pick where you want the subject in your frame, and pick the point for that.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:29 PM   #18

Can a firmware update by pentax enable the light if they so wished?
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:33 PM   #19

Nope - it's a mechanical limitation not a firmware one.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:34 PM   #20

No, as the led for the AF lights are not physically there. There is just a black dot for each point.