Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 18, 2010, 5:23 PM   #1

Default Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

Hi,

I am thinking in buying a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 digital camera. It is quite similar to the Leica D-Lux 4.

What I have noticed is the low price the camera has now, it costs about 350 instead the 500, I am afraid of buyig the camera now and Panasonic launching a new model to replace this one soon.

Any notice about this?
Thank you in advance.
cidmidovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2010, 5:45 PM   #2

Think they will be updating it soon if as it is a bit older model. But the new one will be more expensive. The new one should have zooming while shooting video and maybe as slightly longer zoom in the 3.5 range.

So if you need a camera now, then I would get the lx3. Even though it is a bit older design, it is still an excellent camera, and has one of the best low light ability of a pocket size camera, in the same level of low light performance as the s90 and g11. And excellent image quality also.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:05 PM   #3

The Canon S-90 and G-11 are small, fast to operate, and high ISO capable. The S-90 is within your budget and a much more more modern design the The Panasonic LX3 is a dated design and due for replacement announce in late Aug or September.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:14 PM   #4

Just a note,

The G11 and S90 do not have HD video unlike the lx3.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:02 PM   #5

I have had an LX3 for about the last 18 to 24 months. Its an excellent camera. I purchased it specifically for the wide and fast Leica lens, along with its size, and it has not disappointed. The LX3 and the DLux4 are essentially the same camera except for the red dot, grip and probably some ever so minor software differences - (almost forgot - the DLux4 comes with a wonderful little leather wrist strap, and a 3 year warranty).
I have posted several threads here with some LX3 images...
Now, with that said - I know that everyone is excited about new technology and improved camera functionality and features, however (in my opinion) the purchase of a very successful camera model that is being phased out and replaced can be quite an excellent deal. Its new - and it functions great. It is well known and you know that it does not have any design problem surprises, and takes excellent pictures.

Just because the camera model is being replaced does not mean that it will stop taking pictures. All cameras will be replaced (sooner or later), so that raises the question - are you going to always be chasing technology? or get something that works really well, producing quality results, for a wonderful price - with out going broke. This can be looked upon as an opportunity to acquire a wonderful camera at an unheard of price.

The LX3 supplements my Pentax K20D dSLR, which I purchased when that model was being replaced. Yes, the new model has additional features, however for the price I acquired the K20 for made up for any differences (and you have to ask yourself, just how valuable the new features will be to you and will it make a difference). The design is well tested, and features well known (with an abundance of examples posted to the web). Would I do anything different - NO! I would do exactly the same thing again, and plan to. The K20 and LX3 are serving me well and when they wear out, I will replace them in the same fashion - with a new camera of a model being phased out (given that there are not any design problems that are being corrected with the new model). The LX3 has been a very good unit for Panasonic - a lot of happy photographers with a lot of wonderful images.

Just some thoughts....

Last edited by interested_observer; Jun 18, 2010 at 10:16 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote