Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 18, 2010, 6:21 PM   #1

Default Which camera for available light? ~500 (non-slr)

hi,

i currently own a canon 1000d / rebel xs and a tamron 17-50mm f/2.8.

i am looking for a smaller more handy system.

for me it is most important that the camera can handle low light situations well. the camera must be able to focus fast and the shutter lag should be minimal.

the camera should be smaller than a slr camera.

so far i find the Panasonic DMC-LX3 appealing. but it is very old for a digital camera.

which camera would you suggest?

price range: 500
ipumuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2010, 6:25 PM   #2

Olympus EPL-1 with the kit lens 14-42mm. Shoot well upto 2000iso, and with some NR, you can go to 3200iso. If you look around you can find it from 480-540 euros.

The LX3 is the only point and shoot that will give you HD video and low light upto 1600iso. It is a good camera, but it may be replace soon, as it is an older model. If HD video is not important, you may also look at the canon s90 and g11.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:01 PM   #3

ipumuk-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Both the canon S-90 and the G-11 are fast, and high ISO capable. They are also less in price than the m4/3 cameras, and well under your top budget figure.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:15 PM   #4

Well the LX3 may be about 2 years old but it produces very good results. It does not try to do everything, but concentrates on wide angle (for a P&S), low light f2 lens along with a relatively large sensor (for a P&S), supporting ISO 80 while not hyping up the MP resolution. All in all, its a wonderful little package of features.

Now I will admit that you really do not want to go over ISO 800, and when you compare it to a dSLR, side by side you will see differences. However when compared to other P&S, there is a clearly a superior result.

New cameras will not have a time tested design, and as I just posted in another thread, for me acquiring a very successful model being phased out and replaced is an opportunity at an excellent price point.

I picked up the LX3 to supplement my Pentax K20 so as to have something smaller, that was still able to perform in low ambient light, with wide angle capabilities.

Quote:
for me it is most important that the camera can handle low light situations well. the camera must be able to focus fast and the shutter lag should be minimal.
Low light, fast focus with minimum shutter lag is a very strenuous set of requirements for any camera (let alone a P&S). The less light you have the more lag you are going to have with focusing which is linked to the shutter actuation. I do not know if you can do better than a f2 lens - with this type of camera. Even with a large sensor for a P&S, it still is substantially smaller than a dSLR sensor, and at 10MP there is still going to be noise (hence the ISO 800 cap that I have). Here is a night image I took a while ago. Read down through the thread for some additional information (as opposed to just glancing at the image).
... hope that helps...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:23 PM   #5

This is a good discussion, as the possible cameras are rather limited, depending on your camera size requirements. The Panasonic LX3 is certainly a contender, as is the Canon S-90, and the SD-4000, if we limit this to pocket size cameras with a high ISO capability.

The Canon S-90 is not quite a year old, the LX3 is two years old and the SD-4000 has just reached the market place. Yes, there most probably will be a LX3 replacement model by Fall 2010, as there will also probably be a S-90 replacement, as well.

The SD-4000 brings to the table a somewhat different concept. It is a high ISO capable camera with an F 2.0 lens that offers a lot of automation. Some of the macro or close-up shots from the camera have be amazingly good. So it may indeed, be aimed at a slightly different market segment where recording the memory has a high priority than pure photographic technique.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 19, 2010, 4:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipumuk View Post
so far i find the Panasonic DMC-LX3 appealing. but it is very old for a digital camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipumuk View Post
which camera would you suggest?
Hi ipumuk,

Since you're looking for a newly released camera, maybe have a look at the Samsung TL500/EX1. It's a new camera that competes with the LX3. Here's a link to one user's review of the EX1 with sample photos:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706521

And a link to the EX1 on Samsung's website:

http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/c...type=ex-series

==========

Since I'm looking for a more pocketable P&S, I'm waiting for the release of the Samsung WB2000 (TL350 in the U.S.).
The release date is rumored to be in August 2010.

It's a 10 MP pocketable P&S camera with a 36 MP/cm2 sensor density which puts it between the LX3's 24 MP/cm2 sensor and typical new compact P&S 50 MP/cm2 sensors. The sensor is backlit CMOS. Comes with a F2.8 - F5.8, 5x Schneider-Kreuznach lens that starts out at 24mm. Has raw capability. Also has full 1080p HD video which might allow zooming during recording since it's big brother EX1 can do that. Has 10 shots/sec burst rate at full 10 MP. Seems to have sweep panorama capability but not sure if it's in camera. Has a plethora of other features.

With the combination of 36 MP/cm2 sensor, backlit CMOS sensor and F2.8 aperture at wide, I'm hoping that the WB2000/TL350 will have superior low-light capability for a pocketable P&S camera.

Here’s a link to a pretty in-depth pre review for the WB2000/TL350. The first page has problems displaying the pictures but the other pages display pictures OK.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...view-21549.htm

And another link to the Samsung website for this camera:

http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/camera-camcorder/digital-still-camera/compact-cameras/EC-WB2000BPBAS/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jun 20, 2010 at 1:05 AM. Reason: added links to samsung website for both cameras
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:02 PM   #7

Sky-

Thanks for your post. the Samsung EX-1 is another camera that I have been following. Not much zoom, but it looks to compete with Canon's S-90 or G-11, albeit is a tiny bit smaller price when compared to the G-11.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
Hi ipumuk,...
I don't really know if you changed the font on purpose or if it just happened and I don't know without checking if you've done this before but it makes it harder for me to read. Just sayin...
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
I don't really know if you changed the font on purpose or if it just happened and I don't know without checking if you've done this before but it makes it harder for me to read. Just sayin...
Hi Frank,

Thanks much for alerting me to the font problem and please accept my apology for screwing it up.

What happens is that I usually type longer posts in MS word and sometimes forget to change the font from Times New Roman to Verdana. The bad part is that the font shows as Verdana if I'm using IE8 to view the forum so I'm not aware of the problem. When I use my laptop I use Firefox and then see the font as Times New Roman.

I changed the font to Verdana but see now that the links are not clickable. I'll try to fix them now.

Sorry and thanks again,
Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:53 AM   #10

Default P&S Camera Graded by CNET Asia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Sky-

Thanks for your post. the Samsung EX-1 is another camera that I have been following. Not much zoom, but it looks to compete with Canon's S-90 or G-11, albeit is a tiny bit smaller price when compared to the G-11.

Sarah Joyce
The CNET Asia has reviewed and rated some P&S cameras. Samsung EX1 received the hightest point and then Panasonic LX3, Canon G11.
FYI, refer to http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/digital...210946p,00.htm
pass is offline   Reply With Quote