Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:23 PM   #1

Default sony a330

So i am wanting to get a dslr when i get back form Afghanistan and i already have a an older minolta slr that my dad gave me. So i am just getting into slr and i only want an entry level dslr like 500 for the buget. and i was looking at a230 but since i have like 3 older lenses i can save money on those for now and just get the a330. So my question is would it be better to get the 330 with the older lenses or the 230 with newer lense. Thank you
reek1729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:32 PM   #2

reek-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

This decision really depends on what Minolta lenses you have. So tell us which lens you have now, for starters.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:38 PM   #3
Administrator

What model Minolta SLR do you have?

If it's a Maxxum or Dynax model, then it's Autofocus, and the lenses will work on a Sony dSLR.

If it's an older Manual Focus SLR, then the lenses will not work on a Sony dSLR without an adapter (because the older MC/MD mount lenses use a totally different lens mount).

The main difference between the A230 and A330 is that the A330 has a tilting LCD with Live View. But note that A330 has a smaller Optical Viewfinder (because of the separate Live View sensor Sony uses in it's Viewfinder housing that sees the same thing normally projected to the Optical Viewfinder when using Live View). The A230 does not have Live View. But, it's optical viewfinder is larger.

What lenses do you have?

Note that when you use a lens on a model with an APS-C size sensor, you'll have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) for a given focal length compared to the same focal length lens on a 35mm camera. Multiply the focal length by 1.5x to see how they compare. For example, a 100mm lens on one of the Sony dSLR models you're looking at would give you the same angle of view as a 150mm lens on a 35mm camera.

That's the reason the kit lenses usually start out at around 18mm (because you'll have a narrower angle of view). So, where you may see a lens like a 28-80mm lens as a popular choice on a 35mm camera, you'll find that most dSLR models use something like an 18-55mm lens as a kit lens instead. An 18-55mm lens on a Sony entry level dSLR would give you approximately the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-83mm lens on a 35mm camera.

So, I'd take the focal lengths of your existing lenses into consideration, as depending on the lenses you have, you may find them to be a bit long in close quarters to fit what you want into the frame (as you can only back up so far in some conditions). IOW, even if your existing lenses are Autofocus and will work on a Sony dSLR; you may still want something starting out at a wider focal length, depending on the lenses you have and the conditions you shoot in more often.

Also, I think the A230 and A330 are only sold in kits including a lens (or lenses) anyway. I don't think Sony offers those particular models as body only, at least in the U.S.

If you'd give some specifics on the exact lenses you have, that would help to determine if they're any good or not.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:49 PM   #4

Thank you for the replys i will have to get back to you on the exact lenses because they are being sent to me here in afghanistan so when they get here i can give more info. Is buying camers from like amazon bad or is the same as a store do they still have warrnety if they are new.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 3:10 PM   #5

There are a number of on-line retailers that you should be careful of, but Adorama is one of the best. Check http://resellerratings.com for others.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 3:12 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Is buying camers from like amazon bad or is the same as a store do they still have warrnety if they are new.
That depends on the store. ;-)

It's best to buy directly from amazon.com whenever possible. That way, you get a better return policy and you know you're not getting gray market gear. When you look at a given listing, if Amazon isn't the default choice, click on the "New" button you'll see in the listing and you'll find more vendors. Often Amazon.com is one of them.

Right this minute, when looking at the A230L kit on Amazon, I do not see it as being available directly from Amazon.com, and personally, I would not buy one from any of the other vendors I see there.

I also see at least one listing for the A230 body only on Amazon. Chances are, it's gray market (not intended for sale in the U.S.) and you'd have problems with warranty service if something happened to it.

I'd stick to a reputable vendor if you don't see it directly from amazon.com (not one of the vendors selling gear through their site). Now, sometimes you will see reputable vendors listing gear there (adorama.com is one example). But, I'd personally avoid most of the vendors I see in the current Sony dSLR listings selling them on amazon.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 4:46 PM   #7
Administrator

P.S.

If you don't see what you want directly from amazon.com (versus one of the other vendors selling gear through them), I'd just check with some of the reputable vendors around instead. For example, try these two.

http://www.adorama.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Be careful if you see lower prices on Sony dSLR models from smaller vendors, as there's a good chance they're selling gray market gear (not intended for sale in the U.S.), where you'd have warranty issues trying to get it repaired if something goes wrong.

If a price looks too good to be true, it probably is. ;-)
Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:57 PM   #8

Thank you for that information that is exactly what i need to know. I really appretiate all of the help that you have givin me. I am going to check out those other stores and see what i can find.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:13 AM   #9

I found a a330 for a very cheap price at adorama.com. Thank you for the info about the site. i am going to be buying it here in like 2 weeks. then it is all fun from there. i am also going to be taking a Photography class online because i am in afghanistan and cant do it in a class room. hope all goes well.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:56 AM   #10

Be careful. Sony fixes prices. (See http://www.twice.com/article/238362-..._Attention.php ) Any legitimate Sony dealer that sells a Sony product for less than SonyStyle.com sells it, is likely to lose their dealer authorization, and won't be able to sell any Sony products any longer. Any vendor that sells Sony products for less is likely to be selling gray market products that aren't covered by a warranty.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote