Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 20, 2010, 4:40 PM   #1

Default Looking for a 1080p-cable camera

I bought my TZ5 back in 2008 because of its 720p video capturing capabilities, along with 9MP and 10x zoom in such a small stylish body.

Ideally, I would want a 1080p-cable camera with 18MP and 20x zoom. As for the small body - it would be very hard to lose the portability, but if the larger body (say of a dSLR) can give me better quality shots, I might consider it.

So, I searched and searched, and found the Canon Rebel T2i.

I used to have a huge Canon EOS SLR back in 2000, and I do kinda miss the ability to hold the lens while I shoot, but I have two major issues with SLRs -- one is the size, of course, the other is the inability to zoom. Even a 18-55mm lens is expensive, not to mention 18-200mm, but I'm looking for 400+ and even if I were to afford it, it would be larger and longer than a VCR.

So in the end, I'm just here to ask the experts if there are any other options and to address my issues.

Thanks in advance, guys.
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:29 PM   #2

No one has any input on this?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 5:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
Ideally, I would want a 1080p-cable camera with 18MP and 20x zoom. As for the small body - it would be very hard to lose the portability, but if the larger body (say of a dSLR) can give me better quality shots, I might consider it.

So, I searched and searched, and found the Canon Rebel T2i.

I used to have a huge Canon EOS SLR back in 2000, and I do kinda miss the ability to hold the lens while I shoot, but I have two major issues with SLRs -- one is the size, of course, the other is the inability to zoom. Even a 18-55mm lens is expensive, not to mention 18-200mm, but I'm looking for 400+ and even if I were to afford it, it would be larger and longer than a VCR.
18 mp with 20x zoom is probably why no one has responded. The closest camera that I can think of to meet what you listed zoom wise is the Panasonic GH1 with a 2x teleconverter lens.

The GH1 comes with a 14-140 10x zoom lens and a 2x teleconverter would push it to 20x zoom to 280. It does have a "smallish" body. dPreview review says it has 1980 x 1080p, 24fps AVCHD video but further down the page it says:

"AVCHD :
1920 x 1080, 24fps (24 fps encapsulated in a 60i format)
1280 x 720, 60fps"

Exactly what that means, I have no idea. Maybe someone who knows can chime in.

Link to a review for the GH1:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgh1/

Link to a 2x teleconverter for the GH1:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Teleph.../dp/B002AGNH2K

I don't have any personal experience for either item but since no one else responded maybe those two items will give you something to research while you're waiting.

Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jun 21, 2010 at 5:43 PM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
18 mp with 20x zoom is probably why no one has responded. The closest camera that I can think of to meet what you listed zoom wise is the Panasonic GH1 with a 2x teleconverter lens.

The GH1 comes with a 14-140 10x zoom lens and a 2x teleconverter would push it to 20x zoom to 280. It does have a "smallish" body. dPreview review says it has 1980 x 1080p, 24fps AVCHD video but further down the page it says:

"AVCHD :
1920 x 1080, 24fps (24 fps encapsulated in a 60i format)
1280 x 720, 60fps"

Exactly what that means, I have no idea. Maybe someone who knows can chime in.

Link to a review for the GH1:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgh1/

Link to a 2x teleconverter for the GH1:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Teleph.../dp/B002AGNH2K

I don't have any personal experience for either item but since no one else responded maybe those two items will give you something to research while you're waiting.

Sky
I don't understand. The GH1 is more expensive and has far less interesting features. Where as you claim that I don't get replies because my expectations are too high, and the T2i has everything and more. It has 18MP, 1080p/30FPS video and an optional 55-250mm lens that with a Tele becomes 500mm. So basically, I just need someone to confirm this.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:00 AM   #5

cant use a tele converter with the kit lens, very sucesfully atleast
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
cant use a tele converter with the kit lens, very sucesfully atleast
But I can use it with a 140mm lens? What makes it possible to use it with it or not?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:54 AM   #7

Quote:
I don't understand. The GH1 is more expensive and has far less interesting features. Where as you claim that I don't get replies because my expectations are too high, and the T2i has everything and more. It has 18MP, 1080p/30FPS video and an optional 55-250mm lens that with a Tele becomes 500mm. So basically, I just need someone to confirm this.
My bad. I was thinking of the t1i's 15.5 MP and I also thought you were looking for a single 20x zoom lens which I don't think exists for a normal buy dslr. Since the GH1 "comes with" a 10x zoom lens, the first thing that popped in to my head was a 2x teleconverter to obtain the 20x zoom that you want.

Sorry for my inappropriate suggestion to check out the GH1 while you were waiting for a response,
Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jun 22, 2010 at 2:56 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 3:24 AM   #8

Quote:
My bad. I was thinking of the t1i's 15.5 MP and I also thought you were looking for a single 20x zoom lens which I don't think exists for a normal buy dslr. Since the GH1 "comes with" a 10x zoom lens, the first thing that popped in to my head was a 2x teleconverter to obtain the 20x zoom that you want.

Sorry for my inappropriate suggestion to check out the GH1 while you were waiting for a response,
Sky
How is 140mm equivalent to 10x? My TZ5 has a 10x zoom and it's 280mm.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 3:37 AM   #9

Quote:
How is 140mm equivalent to 10x? My TZ5 has a 10x zoom and it's 280mm.
Zoom values are relative, not absolute. It all depends on the starting focal length. Since the GH1's lens starts at 14mm, 10 times zoom brings it to 140mm.

Realize that the GH1's micro 4/3 format has a crop factor of 2 so 14mm is really 28mm in 35mm film terms. So the 14mm-140mm lens on a GH1 is actually equivalent to a 28mm - 280mm lens on a film camera. (Just like on your TZ5) With a 2x teleconverter, that should bring it to 560mm max zoom in film terms.

EDIT: I don't have any clue whether the 2x teleconverter that I linked to is any good or not. I just googled for one and found that one. Was just something to research while you were waiting.

Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jun 22, 2010 at 5:04 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 5:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Zoom values are relative, not absolute. It all depends on the starting focal length. Since the GH1's lens starts at 14mm, 10 times zoom brings it to 140mm.

Realize that the GH1's micro 4/3 format has a crop factor of 2 so 14mm is really 28mm in 35mm film terms. So the 14mm-140mm lens on a GH1 is actually equivalent to a 28mm - 280mm lens on a film camera. (Just like on your TZ5) With a 2x teleconverter, that should bring it to 560mm max zoom in film terms.

EDIT: I don't have any clue whether the 2x teleconverter that I linked to is any good or not. I just googled for one and found that one. Was just something to research while you were waiting.

Sky
Why are you comparing it to a film camera? The TZ5 is not a film camera.

I understand what you mean about the 'X' values, and I don't care about them. 140mm is so-and-so away from me and 280mm is twice as far. So basically, I just care about the actual distance, not the zoom amount.

Now, I'm not looking at the GH1, I'm looking at the T2I. I want to know what's the 'highest-distance' lens I can find for a decent price. I mean, I've seen 800mm lenses.. they have a maximum aperture of f/8, but still..